• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Ponting make an Aussie all-time XI?

Bolo.

International Captain
Surely, 5fas, 10fas and a ridiculous WPM count for *something*. Maybe not when we're splitting hairs but Lillee stands out massively on those. His average is maybe 10% higher than his reputation suggests but nah, his performances are definitely ATG.
Devils advocate to an extent, seeing as I do rate this, but haven't you just described Ashwin? Ashwin probably had better bowlers to compete with too.

subshakerz

International Coach
Devils advocate to an extent, seeing as I do rate this, but haven't you just described Ashwin? Ashwin probably had better bowlers to compete with too.
Ashwin had a lot more opportunities to prove himself outside SC than Lillee did outside Aus/Eng.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So whom does he displace then?
Chappell, Waugh or Miller (depending on whose team we're talking about). Ponting is every bit as good a player as Chappell, who missed a lot of tours. And he's easily a better batsman than Waugh as well.

Aus doesn't need an all rounder batting six. We've never needed an all rounder batting six. Every time we've played an all rounder in the top six post-Miller we've weakened the side, not strengthened it. The only time it should be entertained is when we have to tour the SC and they prep wickets where finger spinners actually count. Otherwise it's just not needed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Chappell, Waugh or Miller (depending on whose team we're talking about). Ponting is every bit as good a player as Chappell, who missed a lot of tours. And he's easily a better batsman than Waugh as well.

Aus doesn't need an all rounder batting six. We've never needed an all rounder batting six. Every time we've played an all rounder in the top six post-Miller we've weakened the side, not strengthened it. The only time it should be entertained is when we have to tour the SC and they prep wickets where finger spinners actually count. Otherwise it's just not needed.
I would wanna fit in Walters there somewhere. How about

Don
Walters
Border
Miller
Gilly

Could actually let you play two spinners when needed.

subshakerz

International Coach

Aus doesn't need Bradman either. They could still be superior to every side with regular ATGs. The point is making the strongest possible side. So, what makes the side stronger, a better no.6 batsman or a worldclass third seamer plus someone who can hold no.6 position?

Having five quality bowling options is much more important.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Aus doesn't need Bradman either. They could still be superior to every side with regular ATGs. The point is making the strongest possible side. So, what makes the side stronger, a better no.6 batsman or a worldclass third seamer plus someone who can hold no.6 position?

Having five quality bowling options is much more important.
I think Miller makes a lot of sense given Bradman and Gilchrist exist. Harder call for a 'normal' team that also had Warne I think.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Miller would be a good choice but you need to guarantee he will take it seriously, maybe stick a messerschmitt up his arse

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Miller makes a lot of sense given Bradman and Gilchrist exist. Harder call for a 'normal' team that also had Warne I think.
Yeah, I think that's just it - with Bradman and Gilly there, the balance that Miller then brings to the team is unparalleled. It means you can play four champion quicks and Warne (or O'Reilly/Grimmet if you prefer), or if circumstances dictated it you could choose to play two ATG spinners and still have a brilliant three-man pace attack.

The Sean in "advocates for Keith Miller" shock. More at 11.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I think that's just it - with Bradman and Gilly there, the balance that Miller then brings to the team is unparalleled. It means you can play four champion quicks and Warne (or O'Reilly/Grimmet if you prefer), or if circumstances dictated it you could choose to play two ATG spinners and still have a brilliant three-man pace attack.

The Sean in "advocates for Keith Miller" shock. More at 11.
Or you could just open with Watson and Katich and cover all bases. :p

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve sort of come around to the idea of Ponting ahead of Chappell. In Lady White Adder tradition I stick a fork in my leg while thinking it to compensate. :xmas:

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Going back to the discussion, surely you don’t move Bradman - why the hell would you do that? And Smith/Chappell are better 4s, and Border/Waugh better lower order. It’s hard to fit Ponting in cos of the Bradman problem.

And leaving Lillee out is pretty mental.
I think with ATG players, where they bat is less relevant.

I wouldn't move Bradman from 3 but I don't agree that Waugh or Border are better at 6 than Ponting just because they batted there more.

Both Border and Waugh were exceptional players but if Ponting had batted at 5 or 6 for his entire career then he'd have better stats than either.

I'd have Ponting at 6.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The truth is that for all countries, there is no ATG XI, that would play in all conditions.

There's probably a core of 7 or 8 players that would be chosen but then there's 3 or 4 that would be conditions dependent.

On the SC you'd need 2 spinners and you could bat Gilchrist at 6 and pick Benaud or Grimmett. But would you want an off spinner rather than 2 leggies.

Would Border have a stronger case as he can bowl a bit of spin.

Also the ATG side would presumably be playing another ATG side so would 4 bowlers be enough - probably not.

It's a bit like saying who is the ATG male tennis player - well it depends where its being played.

On clay it's obviously Nadal but on grass or hardcourt, he clearly isn't.
I