• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Ponting make an Aussie all-time XI?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely, 5fas, 10fas and a ridiculous WPM count for *something*. Maybe not when we're splitting hairs but Lillee stands out massively on those. His average is maybe 10% higher than his reputation suggests but nah, his performances are definitely ATG.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
In terms of Lillee himself, I don't actually think he was worse than Siddle or my main man Matty Hoggard, but his average standardises to 28. When you play the equivalent of an 8-year Test career, with 63% of your games at home, in a bowling era, in conditions that generally favour you, and you still only average ~24, you're basically Jadeja without the batting. That don't impress me much.
This post has been reported for besmirching the name of The Answer and comparing him to some substandard fake alpha male from Down Under with pathetic facial hair.
You must understand that actions have consequences. I hope you will learn from this.

subshakerz

International Coach
As shown by all the greatest teams in history having 5 regular bowlers…
If a quality all-rounder were available, he would be selected. Ponting said after that 2005 Ashes that Flintoff would walk into their side.

They didnt need them because their opposition was so far below in quality. But all other factors equal they would love to have a genuine all-rounder rather than Clarke or someone turning their arm.

In these ATG XI exercises, the goal is to get the XI that can face the strongest opposition.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Going back to the discussion, surely you don’t move Bradman - why the hell would you do that? And Smith/Chappell are better 4s, and Border/Waugh better lower order. It’s hard to fit Ponting in cos of the Bradman problem.

And leaving Lillee out is pretty mental.

TheJediBrah

Ponting opening would be better than Ponsford, Simpson, Lawry, Morris or Hayden tbh

But I know a lot of people refuse to pick players out of position for things like this

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ponting opening would be better than Ponsford, Simpson, Lawry, Morris or Hayden tbh

But I know a lot of people refuse to pick players out of position for things like this
If he was a more technically correct or defensive #3 I'd have thought about it more. Dravid seems like he could've opened more than he did, Ponting seems like he might've ended up at 4 in a different era.

ataraxia

International Coach
Simpson*
Lawry
Bradman
Smith
Border
Ponting / S Waugh
Gilchrist +
Davidson
Lindwall
O'Reilly
McGrath

Getting back on the Lillee crap bandwagon for the lolz - he doesn't seem to have a very good SC record hmm hmmmm

Burgey

Sehwag is as good as Hayden who is probably the best Aussie opening bat since WW1. I'm not going back since Trumper because the game is entirely different.
Bob Simpson is a better opener than Hayden batting left handed. And he’s in his 80s. Bill Lawry was brilliant too

Burgey

1 Trumper
2 Simpson
3 Bradman
4 Chappell
5 Border
6 Miller
7 Gilchrist
8 Davidson
9 Lindwall
10 Warne
11 McGrath

Ponting would probably make a second XI but Lillee and Hayden fans can cry harder about them not even making that.

I'm not going to consider Cummins or Smith until after they retire and I can let the dust settle, do some better analysis etc but I reckon they'll both end up in there. Cummins in particular would probably have Lindwall's spot even if he went wicketless for ten consecutive Tests from here and then retired in shame.
Dennis Lillee would bowl the ears off Ray Lindwall. Ffs this is terrible man. Play Ponting at six and Lillee for Lindwall unless you’re trying to give other ATG teams half a chance (they don’t have one, but still)

we don’t need an all rounder at six Ffs. We’re australia

Burgey

Ponting walks into an AT Australian side standing on his hands ffs. The bloke was an incredible player.

ghazestor

Cricket Spectator
Yeah Gavaskar was easily the best non-English opener but Sehwag is a weak link. You can definitely argue it's better than whatever combination you come up with Aus but they're probably in the same league overall.