• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asian-XI

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you are seasoned enough a poster to know when a 0.5 difference in average shouldnt be taken at face value.

Me saying Inzi is clearly better than Mohd Yousuf despite averaging less will make sense to almost everyone.
There are reasons for that. Yousuf was more of a HTB than Inzi. But here you are comparing two players specifically at home and who played the same opponents together. Then you say one is clearly better than the other. Ashwin is very marginally perhaps better than Jadeja purely on bowling at home but definitely not 'clearly'. And Jadeja's value in other disciplines eclipse that fine margin.

subshakerz

International Coach
As a spinner, you can contest Kumble to be better than Jadeja. But as a player, Kumble is nowhere near Jadeja. Jadeja can turn matches through his fielding alone. Seeing Jadeja at 8/9 instead of Kumble will give the batsmen much more comfort. As a bowler, they are both par at home while Kumble is slightly better away.
We can agree to disagree. If it was a tailender at no.8 I would say you had a point but then you already have Wasim. Or if the bowling difference was minute like Hadlee vs McGrath then yes Hadlee's batting takes the cake.

But to me this is like dropping McGrath to put in Shaun Pollock in your team. You are going to miss that extra bit of bowling quality. Everything I know about test cricket is that as long as you dont have a weak tail, dont compromise on your best bowlers.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Kohli can easily slip to no.5 and do equally as well. And I think Babar/Zaheer can go for 3/4.

I wouldnt drop Babar for guys who average something like 20 runs less.
And that is managing and shuffling a lot of people from their positions just to accomodate an unknown quantity. Instead just have Inzy/Yuvi at 5 and you know what you will get from them. They are proven match-winners at that position.

subshakerz

International Coach
A lot of people like you make this mistake, subs. You have to understand that ODIs is a different kettle of fish compared to tests. Batting positions matter more in ODIs and even moreso in T20s than tests. If Babar and Rizwan batted at 5 and 6 this world cup instead of opening, Pakistan sure won't have reached the final.

Someone at 5 in ODIs need to be aggressive when required and warrants a more aggressive batsman than Babar. Babar sure finds a place in my second ODI XI opening. I am a fan of him.
I personally think 1-2 years more and Babar's case will be solid enough that either Zaheer is dropped or Zaheer/Kohli go down the order.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Asian Test XI

Gavaskar
Sehwag( will bat at no.5 in ENG/NZ)
Dravid (to open in ENG/NZ)
Sachin
Sangakkara(wkt)( will bat at no.3 in ENG/NZ)
Younis Khan
Imran
Jadeja
Akram
Murali
Waqar
It's interesting more teams don't do this somewhat fluid formation - at least from time to time, or from country to country. Like surely Sehwag was a bit of a bust in England/NZ, why keep trying him there opening? He was also probably a good enough player to come in lower down and smash it around a bit.

Migara

International Coach
You can't rule out Waqar based on a what if. He is objectively one of the most destructive* ODI bowler ever and clearly ahead of Malinga.

The best Asian ODI Xi:

Sachin
Rohit
Zaheer
Kohli
Babar
Dhoni
Imran
Kapil
Wasim
Waqar
Murali
*Under single white ball

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
We can agree to disagree. If it was a tailender at no.8 I would say you had a point but then you already have Wasim. Or if the bowling difference was minute like Hadlee vs McGrath then yes Hadlee's batting takes the cake.

But to me this is like dropping McGrath to put in Shaun Pollock in your team. You are going to miss that extra bit of bowling quality. Everything I know about test cricket is that as long as you dont have a weak tail, dont compromise on your best bowlers.
The bowling difference is not bigger than Hadlee vs Mcgrath.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
That's not correct though because if Ashwin is McGrath, Jadeja isn't Pollock - which is the very point. It's definitely more like McGrath/Hadlee (at home).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I personally think 1-2 years more and Babar's case will be solid enough that either Zaheer is dropped or Zaheer/Kohli go down the order.
Yeah I think that's fair. I like the idea of having the sixth bowler with Shakib, but I think Babar's career is on track to have Zaheer dropped, and I say that as a huge Zaheer booster in ODIs. He's really underappreciated for being ahead of his time. If I was picking it now I'd have Babar as first reserve top order bat though.

subshakerz

International Coach
The bowling difference is not bigger than Hadlee vs Mcgrath.
I believe it is because Kumble has run through sides outside of the SC on 4th, 5th day wickets which Ashwin/Jadeja havent, which is the biggest reason to have them in the side there, otherwise you might as well as have an extra bat or pace bowler.

Jadeja/Ashwin outside of SC are relatively dead weight compared to the other bowling heavyweights but Kumble is respectable when the conditions are right. We are picking an ATG Asian XI for all conditions.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
That's not correct though because if Ashwin is McGrath, Jadeja isn't Pollock - which is the very point. It's definitely more like McGrath/Hadlee (at home).
I was talking about Kumble and Jadeja and overall, not at home. Even I would give Ashwin/Jadeja the edge over Kumble in SC.

Forget batting/fielding for a second. If you think of them as spinners purely for an all-conditions Asia ATG XI, the difference for me between Kumble and Jadeja is comparable to McGrath and Pollock.

If you already have a strong lower order, how many captains would put Pollock in place of McGrath just because the former could bat?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Love both the options you mentioned. But it takes out two bowling options from the team. Will prefer either one of the changes.
Good point.

I still wonder sometimes what worked in Yuvraj's favour in 2011 world cup that suddenly made him such a strong wicket taking option. He was clearly not as good as, say, Jayasuriya for most of his career, was he?

subshakerz

International Coach
Good point.

I still wonder sometimes what worked in Yuvraj's favour in 2011 world cup that suddenly made him such a strong wicket taking option. He was clearly not as good as, say, Jayasuriya for most of his career, was he?
How many bowling options do you reckon are required for an ODI team?

To me, Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Kapil and Murali are all good enough to cover the 50 overs, and if need be Tendulkar can put the odd 2-3 overs in between. Though I can understand if some wish to have 7 bowling options.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You definitely need 6 options most of the time because the 5th bowler is a batsman who bowls a bit and is liable to having a bad day. A part timer backing up Imran is sufficient imo because you'd expect him to get through 10 overs most of the time.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
You definitely need 6 options most of the time because the 5th bowler is a batsman who bowls a bit and is liable to having a bad day. A part timer backing up Imran is sufficient imo because you'd expect him to get through 10 overs most of the time.
Yes. If I am taking a odi team, I will go with 4 bowling options and 3 0.5 type bowlers, totaling to 5.5 bowlers.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For ODIs:

Jayasuriya
Tendulkar
Kohli
Abbas
Sehwag
Dhoni (wk) (c)
Yuvi
Kapil
Wasim
Murali
Waqar

Fast scoring options in Jaya, Sehwag, Yuvi, Kapil
Solid counter attackers in Kohli and Abbas
Fifth bowling options of Jaya, Yuvi, Sehwag, and Tendulkar

Imran cannot find a spot because he bats too slow and Waqar is a better ODI bowler.

Wanted Aravinda over Abbas but seems wrong for some reason.