• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asian-XI

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Asian Test XI

Gavaskar
Sehwag( will bat at no.5 in ENG/NZ)
Dravid (to open in ENG/NZ)
Sachin
Sangakkara(wkt)( will bat at no.3 in ENG/NZ)
Younis Khan
Imran
Jadeja
Akram
Murali
Waqar
Smart. Would have another batsman over Jadeja but good approach.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Smart. Would have another batsman over Jadeja but good approach.
Yeah I like the batting order swaps. I picked Miandad over Younis but it's not that relevant - that juggling would probably get better results than my rigid order with Hanif opening.

I'd definitely add South Africa to the Eng/NZ group though.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
We are talking about an ATG Asian XI that has batting until no.8 with Wasim already locked in. You need to pick your five best bowlers in tests especially then.

Leave aside the fact that Ashwin takes 6 wickets a test at home at an excellent SR for a spinner, his level of skill and intelligence on home wickets in setting up batsmen is second to only Murali. Jadeja is very accurate in putting it in the right areas but a half point average difference doesn't mean he is a better home bowler.
Whatever you said about Ashwin, Jadeja does it too. Everyone has their own way of taking wickets. But you can't clearly say someone is better than the other when the other guy has a worse average under the same conditions. What you say doesn't make sense.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Couple of changes:

Sachin Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuriya Saeed Anwar
Zaheer Abbas
Virat Kohli
Yuvraj Singh Inzamam Ul Haq
MS Dhoni
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muralitharan
Love both the options you mentioned. But it takes out two bowling options from the team. Will prefer either one of the changes.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Genuinely surprised nobody is considering Kumble as second spinner for the ATG XI. Not only do you have a leggie to Murali but he was more capable away. Not enough Kumble love among Indian fans here.

Runs at no.9 aren't going to matter as much as the difference in bowling quality. Pick your two best spinners!
The difference in bowling quality is not as much as the loss of runs.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Babar is averaging nearly 60 with almost 100 games under his belt. Also did well last WC 2019.

I think at this point we can say that he comfortably surpasses Inzi, Yuvi, Miandad, Desilva and Dravid for that loose middle order spot.
How much does he average at 4/5/6?

subshakerz

International Coach
The difference in bowling quality is not as much as the loss of runs.
I think Kumble is notably better as a spinner than Jadeja and slightly better than Ashwin.

Jadeja doesnt even have 250 wickets and somehow is better than Kumble who has more than double wickets and twice the career than he does just because he is slightly better at home.

subshakerz

International Coach
How much does he average at 4/5/6?
Fair enough he bats mainly at no.3 but quality is good enough to allow for shifting of positions. Have It be Babar/Zaheer/Kohli even.

It is like someone protesting that you shouldnt put Viv or Sachin at no.5 in an ATG test XI and therefore exclude them from the side because it wasnt their choice spot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fair enough he bats mainly at no.3 but quality is good enough to allow for shifting of positions. Have It be Babar/Zaheer/Kohli even.

It is like someone protesting that you shouldnt put Viv or Sachin at no.5 in an ATG test XI and therefore exclude them from the side because it wasnt their choice spot.
The difference in roles between going down from 3 to 5 in ODIs in a lot greater than the same change in Tests tbf.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Whatever you said about Ashwin, Jadeja does it too. Everyone has their own way of taking wickets. But you can't clearly say someone is better than the other when the other guy has a worse average under the same conditions. What you say doesn't make sense.
I think you are seasoned enough a poster to know when a 0.5 difference in average shouldnt be taken at face value.

Me saying Inzi is clearly better than Mohd Yousuf despite averaging less will make sense to almost everyone.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Kumble is notably better as a spinner than Jadeja and slightly better than Ashwin.

Jadeja doesnt even have 250 wickets and somehow is better than Kumble who has more than double wickets and twice the career than he does just because he is slightly better at home.
As a spinner, you can contest Kumble to be better than Jadeja. But as a player, Kumble is nowhere near Jadeja. Jadeja can turn matches through his fielding alone. Seeing Jadeja at 8/9 instead of Kumble will give the batsmen much more comfort. As a bowler, they are both par at home while Kumble is slightly better away.

subshakerz

International Coach
The different in roles between going down from 3 to 5 in ODIs in a lot greater than the same change in Tests tbf.
I think Kohli can easily slip to no.5 and do equally as well. And I think Babar/Zaheer can go for 3/4.

I wouldnt drop Babar for guys who average something like 20 runs less.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

A lot of people like you make this mistake, subs. You have to understand that ODIs is a different kettle of fish compared to tests. Batting positions matter more in ODIs and even moreso in T20s than tests. If Babar and Rizwan batted at 5 and 6 this world cup instead of opening, Pakistan sure won't have reached the final.

Someone at 5 in ODIs need to be aggressive when required and warrants a more aggressive batsman than Babar. Babar sure finds a place in my second ODI XI opening. I am a fan of him.