• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 20 greatest batsmen of all time

Slifer

International Captain
That's a shocker from Slifer. Imagine thinking a world war isn't going to affect the quality of cricket or cricketers
Of course 2nd world War affected soociety on a whole. But I don't see how it applies to Bradman uniquely. Especially, when he played 70% of his career before the damn war.

Coronis

International Coach
I meant to say weaker one. They are good but Gavaskar played better.

Weekes, Walcott and Pollock were averaging 50+ during period. Worrell almost 50.
Weekes, Walcott and Pollock all played ~20 tests and scored ~2000 runs during Sobers career, not a great sample size. Worrell played 30 and averaged less than 40. Compared to Gavaskar’s career where there were 4 other batsmen averaging above 50 with 6000 runs, and Gavaskar’s average was actually the lowest of them. Clearly not as much of a standout through his career as Sobers.

Coronis

International Coach
1 Bradman
2 Hobbs
3 Hammond
4 Tendulkar
5 Hutton
6 Kallis
7 Sobers
8 Lara
9 Sutcliffe
10 Border
11 Chappell
12 Sanga
13 Gavaskar
14 Compton
15 Headley
16 Pollock
17 Dravid
18 Miandad
19 Nourse
20 Harvey

Jadeja just missed out.
Is this based on your standardised averages or more of a personal ranking? (or both)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is this based on your standardised averages or more of a personal ranking? (or both)
It's a personal ranking, but a lot of that is informed by my standardised averages project. Knowing where it has flaws I kind of make some manual mental adjustments. Dempster's averaging being standardised up to 83 because it thinks those attacks were better than they really were is a perfect example. I also think that Barrington was lucky to basically only play Tests during his absolute peak and Chanderpaul was a deliberate red-inker who refused to go up the order and whose value was less than his average (standardised or otherwise). Extra points to Chappell for WSC.

I'm sure you'll enjoy that Sutcliffe > Hutton on that spreadsheet. ;)

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PEWS your rankings clearly reward boring batting

Need to add strike-rate in their with significant weightage

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
1 Bradman
2 Hobbs
3 Sobers
4 Hutton
5 S Smith
6 Tendulkar
7 Lara
8 Hammond
9 Sutcliffe
10 Gavaskar
11 Sangakkara
12 Headley
13 Pollock
14 Chappell
15 Kallis
16 Border
17 S Waugh
18 Trumper
19 Miandad
20 Barrington

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah I don't think strike rate really matters tbh. If you're in a below median team then having a worse strike rate may actually be an advantage.
There is something to be said about this being wildly untrue much like libertarianism but I'm too triggered right now to think of it.