• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 20 greatest batsmen of all time

Coronis

International Coach
Because his era was a weak one.
Was it? Aside from Sobers and Barrington nobody with a decent amount of tests was averaging 50 then. You had Trueman, Gibbs, Benaud, Statham, Hall, Davidson, Snow, Underwood, Lock, Laker, Fazal and Pollock all playing throughout his career, quite a few formidable names there.

But you have to put facts and statistics in perspective. Almost 400,000 British cricket playing aged males died in WW2 compared to 40,000 Australians. If you don’t understand what impact that has on a nation’s ability to field a sporting team then there is nothing I can do to help you. Should we judge the Ukrainian football team on their capabilities now?
Yeah but if they died they probably weren’t good enough to be quality test cricketers anyway, and despite the number differential Australia has always produced more quality cricketers than England despite the population deficit.

Slifer

International Captain
Was it? Aside from Sobers and Barrington nobody with a decent amount of tests was averaging 50 then. You had Trueman, Gibbs, Benaud, Statham, Hall, Davidson, Snow, Underwood, Lock, Laker, Fazal and Pollock all playing throughout his career, quite a few formidable names there.

Yeah but if they died they probably weren’t good enough to be quality test cricketers anyway, and despite the number differential Australia has always produced more quality cricketers than England despite the population deficit.
Also, Bradman played 37 or 70% of his tests prior to the outbreak of WW2. Why that guy is using that as an excuse is really weak imo

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
I meant to say weaker one. They are good but Gavaskar played better.

Weekes, Walcott and Pollock were averaging 50+ during period. Worrell almost 50.

Whistler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Huh? What does war deaths have to do with anything? Were those 400k cricketers? As a matter of fact apart from Verity no notable cricketers died during the 2nd world war. This is grasping at straws or trolling if I ever saw it. And fun fact, WW2 last I checked was from 1939 to 1945. The Don did most of his damage before the war even broke out.
There is nothing “fun” about WW2 and this is clearly something you will never understand. When a nation is funneling all their resources to defending themselves militarily, cricket takes a back seat. This should be obvious to someone of moderate intelligence.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a shocker from Slifer. Imagine thinking a world war isn't going to affect the quality of cricket or cricketers

Burgey

But you have to put facts and statistics in perspective. Almost 400,000 British cricket playing aged males died in WW2 compared to 40,000 Australians. If you don’t understand what impact that has on a nation’s ability to field a sporting team then there is nothing I can do to help you. Should we judge the Ukrainian football team on their capabilities now?
There were 40 million or so citizens in the UK in 1939 and six million in Australia. Both countries paid a heavy price during WW2 though the UK's was much larger, particularly for the civilian population. This would obviously have a massive effect on their sport in the aftermath of the war.

I think one of the other things which is sometimes overlooked is the ongoing rationing of so many essentials in the UK post-war. Was a grim time in an already grim place.

TheJediBrah

There were 40 million or so citizens in the UK in 1939 and six million in Australia. Both countries paid a heavy price during WW2 though the UK's was much larger, particularly for the civilian population. This would obviously have a massive effect on their sport in the aftermath of the war.

I think one of the other things which is sometimes overlooked is the ongoing rationing of so many essentials in the UK post-war. Was a grim time in an already grim place.
We should be very grateful to hear first-hand experiences like this

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
NZ actually had rationing during WW2 right up to 1950. We actually had plenty of food, but wanted to create a surplus to kindly feed the Poms and the Yanks. And what thanks did we get? Britain and the US knew the French were going to bomb the Rainbow Warrior in Auckland 1985 and never told us.

Burgey

We did here too, but not to the extent it affected people in the UK. It would have been a very tough time tbh.

Slifer

International Captain
There is nothing “fun” about WW2 and this is clearly something you will never understand. When a nation is funneling all their resources to defending themselves militarily, cricket takes a back seat. This should be obvious to someone of moderate intelligence.
Bradman played 37 tests out of 52 before the war. Are you really going to critique him for literally 30% of his career? Does this line of argument make sense to anyone?