• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravindra Jadeja vs Graeme Swann

Who was the better bowler?(Tests)

• Ravindra Jadeja

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Graeme Swann

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Nah you prefer any cricketer as long as he isn't Indian .
Just like you are preferring Swann who averages 42 in AUS, SA and NZ and hate Jadeja who averages 30 in these countries.
As long as he isn't an Indian home bully.

I've argued for plenty of Indian cricketers before on CW. I got a lot of hate for giving props to Harbi some time back. By Indian posters no less.

sunilz

International Regular
I think Jadeja's average in Australia has to be taken with a grain of salt fwiw, since he only played half the games, and didn't play at the most notoriously "death to all finger spinners" grounds in the country. Swann did.
And same can't be applied to Swann performance in 2012 against a washed up Indian batting line up consisting of Gambhir, Sehwag, Sachin and Yuvraj

subshakerz

International Coach
I blame @Daemon for all of this. He wanted us to reasonable against a guy who rates Harris better than Kapil ( because career average ), Philander better than Gillespie (because Career average) but Swann better than Jadeja ( because of Jadeja spin friendly home conditions)
Yeah I am the only one who did that, sure.

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain

I've argued for plenty of Indian cricketers before on CW. I got a lot of hate for giving props to Harbi some time back. By Indian posters no less.
I ve seen Harbhajan getting hate even on indian forums despite performing better than Ashwin and Jadeja at overseas.

sunilz

International Regular

Once again you are ignoring Jadeja's record in AUS , SA , SL , WI

His only failure is in NZ .I don't consider him a failure in ENG (vs Swann who averaged 40 against India in a series where India lost 4-0).

Spark

Global Moderator
And same can't be applied to Swann performance in 2012 against a washed up Indian batting line up consisting of Gambhir, Sehwag, Sachin and Yuvraj
I mean... yes?

If you take Jadeja's record in Australia at face value then not picking him for every game is basically the greatest selectorial crime in cricketing history. Clearly no one thinks that, so everyone agrees that it needs to be caveated somehow.

I'd still pick him over Swann obviously but his record in Aus is a pretty clear example of samplesizelol imo.

anil1405

International Captain
Nah you prefer any cricketer as long as he isn't Indian .
Just like you are preferring Swann who averages 42 in AUS, SA and NZ and hate Jadeja who averages 30 in these countries.
This is so wrong. He isn't biased against any team or player but his arguments and logic tend to be distorted at times and infuriating too.

sunilz

International Regular
Yeah I am the only one who did that, sure.
I said in my 1st post on this thread , I have no problem with you preferring Swann .what I hate about you is ignoring Swann's 42 average in AUS , SA and NZ and Jadeja's 30 average in these countries

And 2nd point is you can't argue Harris better than Kapil and Swann better than Jadeja simultaneously.

Remaining it is upto you. You can keep rating any player higher .

You can keep referring Jadeja as home bully . But as I said earlier, I would prefer home bully like Jadeja who has lost 1 test match in a decade over ATG like Wasim and Waqar who who lost 3 home series in 3 years.
Let's agree to disagree.

sunilz

International Regular
To be brutal you should not really count those.... as he has hardly played at all in those countries.
I believe you are a reasonable poster . You have missed his arguments in Kapil vs Harris thread where he said Kapil was never as good as Harris.
I believe both Harris and Jadeja are flattered by their bowling average.

If Swann had 450 wickets @30 , I would have rated him higher than Jadeja. But when you neither have longevity nor have the better average, I couldn't be bothered.

Last edited:

sunilz

International Regular
I ve seen Harbhajan getting hate even on indian forums despite performing better than Ashwin and Jadeja at overseas.
Please check his record in Asia. Guy was found wanting many times .
Spinners primary job is to win his side in Asia.
You won't rate Srinath higher because of his better average in Asia and being poor performer in pace friendly countries

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year

What nationality are you my friend? See you live in New York but can't imagine you're American.

subshakerz

International Coach
Once again you are ignoring Jadeja's record in AUS , SA , SL , WI

His only failure is in NZ .I don't consider him a failure in ENG (vs Swann who averaged 40 against India in a series where India lost 4-0).
Lol he played only 1 test in SA and delivered a journeyman performance. You say you care about averages but give him a pass in England. SL I give him credit but still part of SC.