• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil Dev vs Ryan Harris

Who was the better bowler?(Tests)

• Kapil Dev

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Ryan Harris

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
May be because Kapil like Southee didn't average 42,34 and 42 against 3 major teams of his time( AUS, ENG ,SA)

I will give you he averages 25 against IND but during last decade IND are at par with SL , BAN against moving ball. Our best batsman Kohli is one of the worst player against moving ball

please do look career average of Kapil against WI , PAK and NZ 3 best team of 80s.
Also he was part of side that drew a 3 Test series against AUS consisting of Chappell, Lillee in 81 and he took 2 5 wkt hauls and averaged 24 in that series
idc who is better out of kapil and southee little buddy. it's something that will never matter.

kapil was ****house here tho, i remember that from the other weeks kapil obsession.

sunilz

International Regular
idc who is better out of kapil and southee little buddy. it's something that will never matter.

kapil was ****house here tho, i remember that from the other weeks kapil obsession.
But Kapil also was never embarassing against top sides of his era like Southee .

Imagine averaging 42, 34 and 42 against AUS, ENG and SA despite playing in pace friendly conditions both home and away calling yourself to be World class

Flem274*

123/5
I honestly don't think these posters even believe in the method they are employing to defend Kapil i.e. take snippets of worldclass streaks out of a long goodish career to overtake someone's entire quality short career. I think if someone did it with a non-Indian great like Anderson or Walsh they would immediately call BS on it.
you're partly clashing with the penis wavers and partly clashing with the longevity crowd. i don't overly agree with the longevity crowd conceptually (who kapil is better than is a massive shrug to me rn) but they're consistent and the main blokes who push it like pews and teja have put a lot of thought into the game. they're pretty sweet to chat cricket with.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
nah bro let's update this with a modern player who isn't viewed through the eyes of nostalgia.

i know a bowler who took 92 @ 23 from mid-2012 to the end of 2014 as a young man and 114 @ 22 from 2018 - 2021 (in the ballpark of harris's wicket tally). if we put a poll up, no one on this forum would vote for this bowler over ryan harris and rightly so, because we saw them both bowl in the same era and harris was better.

the bowler is tim southee, who is on his way to being an ATVG (arguably is already but i care less and less about atg rankings these days) but clearly not in the harris talent or effectiveness tier unless he goes on a massive tear. this is why longevity being weighted so highly in general online is dumb, because it ignores what selectors go for when they need to win a test match.

picking kapil is still cool. in reality they would not be competing for the same spot and i never saw the guys full career so ****ed if i know my firm opinion on him tbh, he might well be better at his peak or something. however i think using a modern player contextualises this a lot better, especially since southee has a slightly better average than kapil.
I would though.
I honestly don't think these posters even believe in the method they are employing to defend Kapil i.e. take snippets of worldclass streaks out of a long goodish career to overtake someone's entire quality short career. I think if someone did it with a non-Indian great like Anderson or Walsh they would immediately call BS on it.
Your logic of rewarding a player for retiring at the right time over continuing to play because of lack of options is bizarre and illogical to me. I have no horse in this race either

Flem274*

123/5
But Kapil also was never embarassing against top sides of his era like Southee .

Imagine averaging 42, 34 and 42 against AUS, ENG and SA despite playing in pace friendly conditions both home and away calling yourself to be World class
if i averaged less than 1000 against a test nation i'd be obnoxious forever. all you gotta do is fluke a few more wickets than rubel with disgusting slow half trackers caught on the rope and you're safely not the worst test bowler in the modern game.

kapil averaged 40 or something in nz so he was bad against a top team of his era. terrible player, i expect you to damn his memory in shame. boooo. what's that thing you call kohli again? kapil must be one of those.

subshakerz

International Coach
Your logic of rewarding a player for retiring at the right time over continuing to play because of lack of options is bizarre and illogical to me. I have no horse in this race either
Yeah we have a philosophical difference over the concept of 'right time' but I respect your view.

sunilz

International Regular
if i averaged less than 1000 against a test nation i'd be obnoxious forever. all you gotta do is fluke a few more wickets than rubel with disgusting slow half trackers caught on the rope and you're safely not the worst test bowler in the modern game.

kapil averaged 40 or something in nz so he was bad against a top team of his era. terrible player, i expect you to damn his memory in shame. boooo. what's that thing you call kohli again? kapil must be one of those.
So Kapil being bad in NZ doesn't negates that Southee has been trash against AUS , SA and ENG in his entire career.

subshakerz

International Coach
you're partly clashing with the penis wavers and partly clashing with the longevity crowd. i don't overly agree with the longevity crowd conceptually (who kapil is better than is a massive shrug to me rn) but they're consistent and the main blokes who push it like pews and teja have put a lot of thought into the game. they're pretty sweet to chat cricket with.
Bro, the elephant in the room is that most of us posters saw Harris bowl quality and know for a fact how highly rated he was in his cricket days. We feel comfortable putting him in the top bracket.

So for posters to come now and claim Kapil was right up there would need more than just nice streaks but actual opinions of those who saw him bowl and felt he was that good.

Flem274*

123/5
Bro, the elephant in the room is that most of us posters saw Harris bowl quality and know for a fact how highly rated he was in his cricket days. We feel comfortable putting him in the top bracket.

So for posters to come now and claim Kapil was right up there would need more than just nice streaks but actual opinions of those who saw him bowl and felt he was that good.
harris was the second best quick behind steyn of his time. he was a monster.

feels like we're dunking on kapil a bit. guy was a beast of an allrounder, and was good enough to make every team of his era (and probably history?), perhaps as a bowler alone. also unlikely he'd be competing with harris for a spot in any made up team because kapil fills a different role.

kapil won lots of games for india with bat and ball. how good you are during the time you actually play is the only thing that matters, so honestly good on him.

Coronis

International Coach
Short quality career which consisted of missing 10 tests against IND , PAK and SA and Aus losing 9 out of those 10 tests and all the 3 series.
Exactly, without Harris Australia lost the majority of their matches. Harris greatly affected the team’s success.

sunilz

International Regular
During last decade Anderson was always the 2nd best bowler after Steyn.
Ashes 2010/11 victory, Ind 2012 series victory happened during peak of Harris and Anderson had enhanced his reputation after these 2 series victory.

sunilz

International Regular
Exactly, without Harris Australia lost the majority of their matches. Harris greatly affected the team’s success.
Nah , most of those matches were 1 sided . Harris would have hardly made difference.
Harris was able to escape massive dent to his bowling average.