• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil Dev vs Ryan Harris

Who was the better bowler?(Tests)

• Kapil Dev

Votes: 32 71.1%
  • Ryan Harris

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters

_00_deathscar

International Regular
The dude who actually took a bucketload of wickets.
Presumably those who voted for Bond will also vote for Harris
And vice versa re Kapil

And it wasn’t country/player influenced.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Na. Someone like Bond is a what if.

Harris was crap, then got great. There is no reason to speculate, other than how the hell did he get so good so late.
Harris was a crap domestic pacer for most of his career though. Not enough good enough to be picked. Would he be like Lakmal if he was? Something to consider. Though I do agree he's ahead of Bond. I don't know where the line is but Adcock is certainly on the right side of it and Bond isn't. Somewhere between the two.

subshakerz

International Coach
Harris easily. Harris is world-class level and Kapil clearly wasn't.

Even in Kapil's best phase he didnt do as well as Harris.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not true.

Kapil had a phase in his career when he took more wickets than Harris's whole career in the same number of matches at a better average and SR.

Wow. 9 fivers in 27 games is quite awesome. And no games against minnows. Seems like it was in middle of this phase that Kapil achieved his peak icc rating of 877 (Harris peak rating being 870)

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Wow. 9 fivers in 27 games is quite awesome. And no games against minnows. Seems like it was in middle of this phase that Kapil achieved his peak icc rating of 877 (Harris peak rating being 870)
There was another non overlapping phase in his career where he picked 80 wickets in 19 tests at 23.01, between December 1982 and December 1983. And 11 of these games came against ATG WI and the other 8 against Pakistan

He was never the same bowler again after 1983, and the subsequent knee injuries. Until then he had played 62 tests in just over 5 years since his debut. Just the most insane workload for any quick bowler in history. A clear example of a player done in by overkill. It is a matter of great debate what his record would have looked had he been cotton woolled like Bumrah.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
All I can say w.r.t Kapil is that he is one player who is soo under rated by many fans because of his plain averages. They just ignore the adversities
Kapil had to face thru out and also the highlights of his career.

Extremely weak support bowling, huge word load( first 62 tests in just 5 years, 3000 balls bowled before he turned 21 , never took a break despite injuries etc etc are some of the features of this factor , ) insane longevity, fair play( he never resorted to unfair tactics like ball tampering) all affected his end bowling average.
W.r.t batting , he was convincingly dominating than even the great Viv Richards( str: of 81-82.5 against Viv's 70), played many iconic back to the wall high quality innings, upped his normal batting standard against the mighty Windies in Windies( GOAT team) etc etc.
Add to that his ODI credentials, brilliant all round fielding , captaincy , he for me was such a high calibre all rounder.

He would be my 3rd or 4rth GOAT all rounder behind Kallis, Sobers and perhaps Shaun Pollock.

Bolo.

International Captain
Twice in a day I've seen someone rate underrated Shaun Pollock over Hadlee
Averages?

Donald was one of the most exciting bowlers ever. In 99 when Donald around his peak, I remember my feelings about him bowling (with the new ball, on a real spicy pitch, so carnage) was just killing time until Pollock got to bowl.
So ya, Im a big Pollock fan.

But he certainly is not a Hadlee.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Averages?

Donald was one of the most exciting bowlers ever. In 99 when Donald around his peak, I remember my feelings about him bowling (with the new ball, on a real spicy pitch, so carnage) was just killing time until Pollock got to bowl.
So ya, Im a big Pollock fan.

But he certainly is not a Hadlee.
Which isn't a knock on him because Hadlee was ridiculous. But it does show that Pollock isn't underrated, especially among nerds, IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To me the "what it" lies more in the days before he played international cricket

Going from medium-fast 5th choice seamer in a weak team to a genuinely top shelf Test fast bowler at 27ish is not something that happens every day
Yeah people almost exclusively chalk up Harris' short career to injury, but it's not really true. He was genuinely ****ing **** for an extended period before his debut. It's not like he was playing two games a season and making people wonder what he could do if he stayed fit - he was playing most of the season in club cricket bowling pies.