• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Love the predictability of this thread.

Saw it had jumped 5 pages since yesterday and just knew without opening it that another muppet has joined in to share his well thought out and considered opinions on this debate.

Welcome Bushranger..........will you last longer than that Jedi fellow???

Should start another thread "*Official* Bushranger V's JediBrah" and see which **** comes out on top.
if only he had

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Only just found this thread now, remarkable it's 18 years old and 224 pages long.
What's even more amazing is that it could have ended 18 years ago, because there's no comparison, Warne's miles better!
Much harder to bowl spin in Australia than on the sticky wickets S.L has produced over the years.
Murali averages 75 runs per wicket in Australia, if that's not enough in itself to end any doubt.
Let's not even begin to talk about the rumours he's been a chucker for many a year, that just completely blows the scales out of proportion.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Love the predictability of this thread.

Saw it had jumped 5 pages since yesterday and just knew without opening it that another muppet has joined in to share his well thought out and considered opinions on this debate.

Welcome Bushranger..........will you last longer than that Jedi fellow???

Should start another thread "*Official* Bushranger V's JediBrah" and see which **** comes out on top.
Yeah I'm just another muppet for punishment, or should I say for your punishment.

Coronis

International Coach
Only just found this thread now, remarkable it's 18 years old and 224 pages long.
What's even more amazing is that it could have ended 18 years ago, because there's no comparison, Warne's miles better!
Much harder to bowl spin in Australia than on the sticky wickets S.L has produced over the years.
Murali averages 75 runs per wicket in Australia, if that's not enough in itself to end any doubt.
Let's not even begin to talk about the rumours he's been a chucker for many a year, that just completely blows the scales out of proportion.
@Migara

Migara

International Coach
Ok

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The real question is : who's the better fielder?
Both bad

Maybe Murali was better when he was younger but post 2000s he was one of the worst fielders I'd ever seen at that level, bar one amazing catch I saw him take.

Warne was an ok slipper at best but pretty useless everywhere else.

If I had to choose someone to stop or catch a ball hit at them it would be Warne, if I had to choose someone to chase a ball to the boundary it would be Murali

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Warne and Murali both are very close as bowlers. But what grants Warne an edge, aside from his mental toughness, is that he has in my view a marginally better home away record. The truth is both of these bowlers only sucked in two countries, Ind which was common for both, and Aus for Murali, WI for Warne. But Warne’s record in WI is nowhere as bad as Murali in Aus. Also I consider Warne to be the marginally better bowler in Ind, not only cause he has a better WPM, but because that factor is more accentuated because of the fact that he was bowling in a more competitive attack. One may say Murali was dominant in Eng and never got to bowl there as often as Warne, but while Murali sucked in Aus, Warne was a genius in SL, and Warne’s record would have improved even more if he played as many as matches as Murali did in SL, as there is a much wider difference between the number of matches Warne and Murali played in SL, rather than between number of matches Warne and Murali played in Eng.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne and Murali both are very close as bowlers. But what grants Warne an edge, aside from his mental toughness, is that he has in my view a marginally better home away record. The truth is both of these bowlers only sucked in two countries, Ind which was common for both, and Aus for Murali, WI for Warne. But Warne’s record in WI is nowhere as bad as Murali in Aus. Also I consider Warne to be the marginally better bowler in Ind, not only cause he has a better WPM, but because that factor is more accentuated because of the fact that he was bowling in a more competitive attack. One may say Murali was dominant in Eng and never got to bowl there as often as Warne, but while Murali sucked in Aus, Warne was a genius in SL, and Warne’s record would have improved even more if he played as many as matches as Murali did in SL, as there is a much wider difference between the number of matches Warne and Murali played in SL, rather than between number of matches Warne and Murali played in Eng.
Murali took an 8fa in India and actually owned India at home too. Warne never did anything against India, either home or away. On impact Murali's performance against India, who played spin better than anyone else, absolutely blows Warne away. Murali has 2 10fers against them and averaged 32 against India to Warne,'s 47. While both sucked in India Murali at least had one notable performance. And people vastly overstate how friendly his home conditions were. FTBs like Jayawardena and Samaraweera dominated on the same wickets.

Last edited:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Are you really comparing the batting lineup of SL and Aus?