• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Donald Bradman's average

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really ? OK let's see. India had zilch in the 80s, as did Australia. In the 90s, Australia had Warne and later MacGill and now Lyons.
Top class spinner? He's so **** you can't even get his name right.

If he was Sri Lankan he'd be playing park cricket

Slifer

International Captain
Top class spinner? He's so **** you can't even get his name right.

If he was Sri Lankan he'd be playing park cricket
Where did I say Lyon was top class?? I also mentioned Harbajan, and afaic, they're in the similar class. And if we're going by quality then India hasn't produced a spinner in the same class as Warne. Period. And my point is still valid in that over their history, Australia has been able to produce as many spinners as India.

Coronis

International Coach
Still Russell's rings aren't Bradmanesque since they aren't individual stats. Wilt's achievements are. And again, had Wilt not consciously decided to stop scoring, his ppg average easily could've been mid to low 40s.
But yeah the whole point of basketball is winning games rather than playing as selfishly as Wilt did in the early days of his career.

TheJediBrah

But yeah the whole point of basketball is winning games rather than playing as selfishly as Wilt did in the early days of his career.
The same with cricket, but we're not talking about the best teams, we're talking about Bradman

Coronis

International Coach
The same with cricket, but we're not talking about the best teams, we're talking about Bradman
Who iirc tho never put selfish things like scoring 100 in a single game ahead of his team’s success.

But anyway even in that 50 point season, we have Baylor at 38, and 4 other players over 30. And yeah Wilt’s stats don’t stand out that much over his career compared to other ATG’s, unlike Bradman’s.

Slifer

International Captain
Who iirc tho never put selfish things like scoring 100 in a single game ahead of his team’s success.

But anyway even in that 50 point season, we have Baylor at 38, and 4 other players over 30. And yeah Wilt’s stats don’t stand out that much over his career compared to other ATG’s, unlike Bradman’s.
Tbf, because of the nature of Basketball, Wilt would probably be better compared to an all rounder than a batsman like the Don.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Really ? OK let's see. India had zilch in the 80s, as did Australia. In the 90s, Australia had Warne and later MacGill and now Lyons. India had Kumble, Jadeja and Ashwin. Maybe a case can be made for Harbajan. But whereas, Australia's spinners were usually serviceable home and away (Warne was great), India's were and still are only really useful in Asia. Over the course of history, Australia's ability imo, matches India's in terms of quantity and quality.

India: Bedi, Gupte, Chandrasekhar, Prassana, Kumble, Harbhajan, Jadeja, Ashwin

Australia: O'Reilly, Grimmett, Benaud, Mallet, Warne, MacGill, Lyons, Yardley,
You should read Migara's post again. Half the spinners you have mentioned played before India became a serious cricket nation.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of other sports if darts is considered one, than there was an English guy who won many championships, his name was Phil I guess.

Phil 'The Power' Taylor. The one true pub legend.

Also let me also bring up Serena Williams. She and her sister Venus changed women's tennis in addition to her winning so much.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I've looked for examples in other sports as well, to compare. There is nothing like Don Bradman, when it comes to statistical outliers I'm aware of. Not Babe Ruth, not Pele, not Wilt or Russell. He's a standard deviation, in statistical performance, above all of them as well, and one of a kind in modern sporting history. So the answer to OP, is no.
Richie McCaw - the goat of the history of sport

Coronis

International Coach
Soz last thing I’ll say about Wilt in this thread but yeah I am a big basketball lover too.

6F56CC25-12EC-4CD8-B569-86ACBFD530F6.png

Most FG’s attempted in a single season leaderboard, this is why its not such a big deal compared to Bradman, bloke shot the ball 800 more times that season than anyone else ever has.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Jahangir Khan is the closest I can think off Went 6 years and 555 matches unbeaten Not sure what was more competitive and professional cricket in 30's or Squash in 80's
He lost to Ross Norman (a Kiwi).

Talking of squash, another Aussie Heather McKay must be an option for better than Bradman. Only lost 2 matches (1960, 1962) in over 20 years of matches (she retired in 1981). Won 16 consecutive British Opens, the first 2 World Champs

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine if one of nadal/Federer/djokovich didn't exist we would have two guys at 30 slams or some thing with next best @ 14. And if only one of them existed then we are going to Bradman and beyond territory.
Yeah, but the one might have retired years ago due to loss of motivation (too easy to win Slams).

TheJediBrah

Federer was something special when he was peaking. Not convinced anyone has reached the standard since when he had his first run at no.1. Combination of Nadal/Djokovic/Murray coming along and Federer dropping a bit led to the competitiveness since IMO