• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting bits of cricket history/facts/stats/trivia that you find

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Some interesting information on Walter Hammond:

Hammond struck his contemporaries as a sad figure, a loner with few friends in cricket. He rarely encouraged young players or gave out praise. He liked to mix with middle-class people, spending money he did not really have, leading to accusations of snobbery. Teammates regarded him as moody, private and uncommunicative. Often silent in the company of others, he could be arrogant and unfriendly.

Charlie Barnett and Charles Dacre, two of his Gloucestershire teammates, came almost to hate him. Dacre often played in a reckless way of which Hammond disapproved; Hammond, in turn, may have been jealous of him. Hammond once tried hard to injure Dacre by bowling fast at him while he was wicketkeeper.

Hammond's ultimate rivalry was with Bradman, who overshadowed him throughout his career, and with whom he developed an increasing obsession. It was not enough for Hammond to be the second-best batsman in the world, and he disliked the constant comparisons made between them in Bradman's favour. He felt not only that he had to do well, but also that he had to score more than Bradman.

Other players who were involved in disputes with Hammond included Denis Compton, whose cavalier approach Hammond disliked.

Coronis

International Coach
Wouldn't say not outs boost average, but compared to a lot of the others in the list, his output was low at that stage (a little above 3K runs).

It is still ridiculous for a keeper batsman though.
Second lowest in that list, only behind Azharuddin, who had 3 less innings and 1 more century.

Still remaining not out is definitely a skill, and I don’t think Gilchrist could be accused of batting to preserve his average.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Second lowest in that list, only behind Azharuddin, who had 3 less innings and 1 more century.

Still remaining not out is definitely a skill, and I don’t think Gilchrist could be accused of batting to preserve his average.
I was not talking about not outs, and Gilchrist will be the last player in the world who would be accused of preserving his average.

I was talking about his output at that stage. He averaged 60+ for 3K runs, it dwindled when he reached 4K and went down further with 5K. In the end, his average of 47 was more or less representative of the player he was. It wouldn't have been, had he retired with 3K@ 60.

And again, another example that doing something really well for a longer period is extremely difficult. Players who have done that like Tendulkar, Lara are rightly rated higher than Gilchrist (as pure batsmen of course).

Coronis

International Coach
I was not talking about not outs, and Gilchrist will be the last player in the world who would be accused of preserving his average.

I was talking about his output at that stage.
I thought it was pretty clear that those were two seperate parts of my post, the first about Gilchrist’s output and the second about not outs in general…

Chrish

International Debutant
Iirc Lanka has never won a game in india. I knew they never won a series but I was really surprised by the fact they didn’t win any game considering the strength of their side in 2000s.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I thought you liked facts?
I dunno y you are so worked up about PFK rating players the way he does? And subjectively, I do think Gavaskar is very much in the same league as Hobbs and Hutton in as much as you can rate players you have not seen just based on what is written and their stats. If pushed, I would rank them:

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Hutton

Have no idea why starfighter and you take it so personally. Gavaskar is easily the best post war opener and definitely one of the top 3 openers of all time.

Coronis

International Coach
I dunno y you are so worked up about PFK rating players the way he does? And subjectively, I do think Gavaskar is very much in the same league as Hobbs and Hutton in as much as you can rate players you have not seen just based on what is written and their stats. If pushed, I would rank them:

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Hutton

Have no idea why starfighter and you take it so personally. Gavaskar is easily the best post war opener and definitely one of the top 3 openers of all time.
Personally I have him 4th but to each their own. imo those top 4 are all in the same tier and I have no problems with anyone rating them in different orders depending on their personal criteria.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't take it personally at all. I have never argued against Gavaskar being acknowledged as an ATG opener. Some of my posts have all been about questioning PFK calling his opinion a FACT. We could debate the rating of players in any category ad infinitum and that is all PFK and I have been doing. Show me where the exchanges between us have been personal.