• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting bits of cricket history/facts/stats/trivia that you find

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I don't take it personally at all. I have never argued against Gavaskar being acknowledged as an ATG opener. Some of my posts have all been about questioning PFK calling his opinion a FACT. We could debate the rating of players in any category ad infinitum and that is all PFK and I have been doing. Show me where the exchanges between us have been personal.
I said its a FACT because you were continuously questioning my rating of Gavaskar > Sobers and Sachin, like it is unreasonable and illogical.

Coronis

International Coach
I need to know why Archie Maclaren scored 424 in 1895.

Why?
Well the innings itself wasn’t declared (MacLaren was captain). Just estimating roughly based on run rates, 154 5 ball overs were bowled the first day and 165 the second of the 3 day game (take them with a grain of salt, I know run rates can vastly change throughout an innings), but lets say 150 overs a day were being bowled in County cricket at the time.

So with roughly 70 overs bowled of their innings on the second day, MacLaren scored 135 out of 246, and judging from the scorecard was probably the 6th or 7th wicket to fall, with the last 4 falling for 9 runs. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there was some personal vanity in getting 400+ for the first time in a county match or that he was even going for the 485 record high score at the time. At that stage in the championship, Lancashire was 8-3-1 with roughly half their remaining matches against bottom half teams(ending up 14-4-3) after 12/21 matches, vying with only Surrey for the championship (unsure of their record at the time, but they were clearly helped by playing 26 matches that season..). Anyway with a top of the table record I can see why MacLaren wouldn’t mind going for personal glory over aiming specifically for the win (which they still got) as the uncovered wickets likely deteriorated quickly then and who knows what the weather was like.

Fun fact, Lara’s 501* and MacLaren’s 424 were completed in 474 and 470 mins respectively with 62 4’s each. Both almost an hour and half quicker than Hick’s 405* and over 2 hours quicker than Northeast (yes that’s his last name) 410*, the only other 400+ county scores.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
The innings itself wasn't declared because you couldn't declare until the final day at that time.

Brief history of declarations:
1884 Laws (and before that): No declarations.
1889: You can declare on the last day of a match.
1900: You can declare at/after lunch of the second day of a 3-day match, or any time of day 2 of a 2-day match.
1906: You can declare on the first day of a 2-day match if there's at least 100 minutes still to play. (Law unchanged for 3-day match).
1910: You can declare at any time on the second day of a 3-day match. (Law unchanged for 2-day match).
1955: You can declare at any time in a 2-day match.
1957: You can declare at any time in a match of any length.
1968: You can forfeit your second innings.
By the 2000 laws you could forfeit either innings.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I said its a FACT because you were continuously questioning my rating of Gavaskar > Sobers and Sachin, like it is unreasonable and illogical.
I questioned if you understood > (a tongue in cheek post) and debated your ranking of Gavaskar on 2 or 3 occasions. On my final post in the thread I agreed our opinions differed but questioned how an opinion could be FACT. If those 3 or 4 posts constitute "continuously" then so be it. Have a good day. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I questioned if you understood > (a tongue in cheek post) and debated your ranking of Gavaskar on 2 or 3 occasions. On my final post in the thread I agreed our opinions differed but questioned how an opinion could be FACT. If those 3 or 4 posts constitute "continuously" then so be it. Have a good day. :)
Think he is taking out his frustrations on starfighter at you. lol

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Why should anyone assume " > " not used correctly or asking clarification twice..like Do you really believe this when someone ranks gavaskar > sobers and sachin.
Once is ok ( still inappropriate though )

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't take it personally at all. I have never argued against Gavaskar being acknowledged as an ATG opener. Some of my posts have all been about questioning PFK calling his opinion a FACT. We could debate the rating of players in any category ad infinitum and that is all PFK and I have been doing. Show me where the exchanges between us have been personal.
For all of PFKs interesting opinions, this is a very mild one to call him out on

Coronis

International Coach
Only one bowler who played in the 21st century has eclipsed 1500 first class wickets. No, not Kumble, Warne or Murali. Not Steyn, McGrath or Anderson. The mighty Courtney Walsh, with 1807 wickets.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just regarding the timeless test, it's amazing how close we got to a completely unassailable 4th innings victory record high score

the big bambino

International Captain
Ironically enough I think they'd have lost. If play resumed the pitch, which finally began to break up, would've been trickier still after the delaying storm.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
42 to get but with 5 wickets in hand. But also with 2 fresh batsmen at the crease. Would have been a helluva finish

Should have just rescheduled the ship leaving...