• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Pakistan 2022

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I see a hint of the Steve Smith/Ricky Ponting galaxy brain selections in Cummins' choices for this game. I dont know how anyone can look at that surface and think "I REALLY need that 4th seam option here." I know its tough to leave out one of Haze/Starc as they are both good enough to win this game on their own, but you gotta make the common sense decision. I would have played Agar ahead of Starc.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, Naseem looks most likely to be somewhat near the age they claim on his certificate.
I think I read something about the PCB saying that he was 16 in 2016? If his DOB is accurate, then he would've been 13 back then....

Shaheen doesn't look that much older than 21 AFAIC. Obviously Pakistani ages are difficult to decipher at the best of times though.

The real BS one is probably Iftikhar, who looks like he's about 45.

morgieb

ITBT I'm not really sure that Agar/Swepson would be taking wickets either. If Lyon was like 1/20 off 12 then yes, that would be a clear cut case of not having enough spinners in the side. Lyon's been played pretty well here so I wouldn't say this is a turner.

Granted he has had a few chances and I guess Agar in particular might be more effective in the subcontinent than Australia?

trundler

Completely idiotic. Threw away an excellent start slogging a meh ball 3 minutes before lunch. Just no need. 100 partnership, nothing in the wicket. All's going smoothly. Just gifted it. Not sure how good Azhar Ali will be here. Must be rusty.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
so I wouldn't say this is a turner.
Where did I say that though? I think Agar is a better option to get wickets and to keep runs down on this track than one of Starc/Hazlewood. That is all. Its why I said it was a common sense decision. Also, the SLA angle always adds a little more of a question at the batsmen instead of a bunch of right arm offies and leggies.

morgieb

Where did I say that though? I think Agar is a better option to get wickets and to keep runs down on this track than one of Starc/Hazlewood. That is all. Its why I said it was a common sense decision. Also, the SLA angle always adds a little more of a question at the batsmen instead of a bunch of right arm offies and leggies.
I guess I just don't rate our backup spinners very highly and guess they would be a good chance of struggling. YMMV.

Aritro

International Regular
ITBT I'm not really sure that Agar/Swepson would be taking wickets either. If Lyon was like 1/20 off 12 then yes, that would be a clear cut case of not having enough spinners in the side. Lyon's been played pretty well here so I wouldn't say this is a turner.

Granted he has had a few chances and I guess Agar in particular might be more effective in the subcontinent than Australia?
Probably been said before, but he did his best work with the new ball when the seam was still hard enough to grip and then looked more innocuous. Doesn't look like it's going to be as hard to play spin on this pitch as it initially looked, although two spinners was still the best option IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I guess I just don't rate our backup spinners very highly and guess they would be a good chance of struggling. YMMV.
They may well be, and it would be silly to play 3 or whatever but I still think you need two spinners in these conditions more than you need your 4th seamer, unless he is Windies quartet level good and I dont think these guys are that good.

Aritro

International Regular
They may well be, and it would be silly to play 3 or whatever but I still think you need two spinners in these conditions more than you need your 4th seamer, unless he is Windies quartet level good and I dont think these guys are that good.
Yeah they'll at least build pressure and keep them honest. Dunno if you can expect the same from seamers on this deck.