• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Skyliner

International 12th Man
my god how has he missed that? Short of a length, turned a little but he had so much time there and just missed it
Bit of a pitiful lack of fight when the pressure come on really, like the sad capitulation against the Banga's at the Mount.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Hard to believe we're three down, there's nothing in the pitch. I guess we're so used to green decks we are dud on dry and flat surfaces.

Flem274*

123/5
Gotta give credit to South Africa's batting especially. After the trainwreck last week and a lot of guys retiring in recent years, this is a performance of considerable talent and character. We knew this SA side could win test matches here, but I think I speak for everyone when I say we thought the bowlers would be shouldering a lot of that load.

As for NZ, serious questions* need to be asked of the people around this team.

These are the same players who sent South Africa packing last week, and they're struggling to compete here and got dicked by Bangla-****ing-desh a month ago.

This group of players have already proven they have it in them to go 3 or 4 to nil this summer.

*why are you so **** now?

nzfan

Gotta give credit to South Africa's batting especially. After the trainwreck last week and a lot of guys retiring in recent years, this is a performance of considerable talent and character. We knew this SA side could win test matches here, but I think I speak for everyone when I say we thought the bowlers would be shouldering a lot of that load.

As for NZ, serious questions* need to be asked of the people around this team.

These are the same players who sent South Africa packing last week, and they're struggling to compete here and got dicked by Bangla-****ing-desh a month ago.

This group of players have already proven they have it in them to go 3 or 4 to nil this summer.

*why are you so **** now?
Our batting is definitely inconsistent still. It gets tapered over at times thanks to a good bowling unit but you can't expect the bowlers to always come up trump.

Doesn't help the fact Taylor has retired, Kane is barely available. That's a lot of experience missing in the batting lineup.

Devon has been gun but you can't expect him to score every game.

I expected us to win 1-0 or 2-0. We were in the game many times in this test match but just couldn't close it out. You'll have to say south Africa applied better. We may have been a bit complacent.

Flem274*

123/5
But you should never play a spinner at Hagley...
You shouldn't.

Despite the asterix for this being a double header, I don't think you're appreciating just how special this is from Maharaj...

There's a long line of spinners from your average to supposed ATGs from certain areas of the world that very quickly disappeared at Hagley Oval....or didn't make the team.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You shouldn't.

Despite the asterix for this being a double header, I don't think you're appreciating just how special this is from Maharaj...

There's a long line of spinners from your average to supposed ATGs from certain areas of the world that very quickly disappeared at Hagley Oval....or didn't make the team.
I know exactly how special Maharaj is... it was is exactly his bread and butter and it’s why I keep getting pissed off ever time we drop him for “insert stupid reason here”. Particularly when we have a genuinely good number 7 all rounder. ....

Anyway I’ve beaten this poor horse too many times...

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I know exactly how special Maharaj is... it was is exactly his bread and butter and it’s why I keep getting pissed off ever time we drop him for “insert stupid reason here”. Particularly when we have a genuinely good number 7 all rounder. ....

Anyway I’ve beaten this poor horse too many times...
Whom do you refer here? Mulder or Jansen?

nzfan

I don't know what is it that Maharaj offering here that is out of ordinary. The deck is slow and barely turning. He drifts it a bit and most balls are just straight. Surely it's not unplayable.

Nicholls just left the gate wide open and look to play too square. It wasn't an unplayable ball.

Maybe there'll be some more help tomorrow but I don't expect it to be unplayable spinning deck.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You might know better through domestix but Mulder has done nothing so far at international level to be termed as genuinely good.
Mulder is a genuinely good all rounder, what he needs is to be picked in the team on a consistent basis and he will start contributing with the bat. He has contributed bowling wise a number of times already.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Fleming mentioned this in the first innings about Maharaj, saying even the tempo change to a match a spinner provides, disrupts the timing and rhythm of a player, even when set.
'The tempo change a spinner provides, disrupts the timing a rhythm of a player, even when set.'

This is just saying that a spinner can help your seamers pick up wickets by messing with a players rythym. This is where we are being a bit tough on Ajaz in NZ.

A balanced attack is like a recipe, I reckon it has less to do with any given pitch and more about having enough variety to prevent players getting used to a 'sameness' about what they are facing. What will unlock the key to one players wicket may not work for another player.

Additional to your medium fast right arm swing and seam bowlers ideally you'd have -
Someone who can get it through at 140 kph and above on a regular basis.
A left armer.
A spinner.

And a batting all-rounder player like an Astle or a Styris who can bowl wicket to wicket and nibble it about a bit is also handy, both those guys could do a job as partnership breakers.