• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Some poor selections yet again!

But I hope they pick a good XI but I am sure it will be something like this- (with Rahane keeping his place)

Rahul
Rohit
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane/Vihari
Pant
Ashwin
Thakur
Shami
Bumrah
Siraj

No way Kohli will play less than 5 bowlers. so both Ashwin and Thakur may get the nod.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Back up spinner is a disgrace.. Jayant?? FFS.. if he hadn't taken those meaningless wickets vs Nz...

And India definitely needed a leftie to attack Maharaj and co.. Current team is full of right handers.. Lets hope the first XI don't break down like they often do and end up needing to play bowling combination like this for 3rd Test-

Thakur
Jayant
Ishant
Saini
Umesh

Inept Jayant has a knack of ending up in the starting XI.. and this time he only needs ONE injury to Ashwin to get it.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Inept Jayant has a knack of ending up in the starting XI.. and this time he only needs ONE injury to Ashwin to get it.
Yeah I'm pretty worried about this. Surely Sundar was a much better option especially with Jadeja out. I see he's playing Vijay Hazare at the moment. They're being cautious and letting him get matchfit I guess but jeez, I really donot want to watch Jayant Yadav in a game in SA.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I'm pretty worried about this. Surely Sundar was a much better option especially with Jadeja out. I see he's playing Vijay Hazare at the moment. They're being cautious and letting him get matchfit I guess but jeez, I really donot want to watch Jayant Yadav in a game in SA.
All these seemingly minor injuries taking ages to heal worries me. There were questions about folks going to the NCA were really not coming back fit enough either. And now we have those coaches running the team. I am worried. :(

cnerd123

likes this
What's with the Jayant hate? Perfectly fine finger spinner, and he's only going to play if Ashwin is injured.

We'll probably go with Ashwin + 3 quicks + someone like Vihari to bowl some fill in overs if needed.

cnerd123

likes this
Aren't there other spinners floating around the circuit? A leggie on the bouncier tracks might have been handy.
Ashwin
Jadeja - injured
Axar - injured
Sundar - returning from injury
Nadeem - ???
Yadav
Kuldeep - out of favour
Chahal - not in framework for tests?

Any good spin prospects out with India A atm? If not, I think Jayant's alright. Bishnoi/Chahar aren't ready for Tests yet.

Baba Aparjith and Saurabh Kumar are the other spin options out with India A atm. Good career stats but haven't been good on the tour, averaging 43 and 51 with the ball respectively.

Last edited:

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Ashwin
Jadeja - injured
Axar - injured
Sundar - returning from injury
Nadeem - ???
Yadav
Kuldeep - out of favour
Chahal - not in framework for tests?

Any good spin prospects out with India A atm? If not, I think Jayant's alright. Bishnoi/Chahar aren't ready for Tests yet.
Saurabh Kumar is with India A.. Last season performed well in Ranji. He is in back ups as of now. SLAO much better than floaty pies of Jayant.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's with the Jayant hate? Perfectly fine finger spinner

We'll probably go with Ashwin + 3 quicks + someone like Vihari to bowl some fill in overs if needed.
He's ****. Sundar shouldnt be below him in the pecking order.

Although it depends on team balance I guess, he's probably a better bowler than Sundar but still not great.

cnerd123

likes this
He's ****. Sundar shouldnt be below him in the pecking order.
agreed, I put Sundar above him in the pecking order.

Yadav's fifth on the list and 3 of the guys above him aren't fit. He's obv gonna be a step down, but I don't think we actually have anyone better we can bring in is my point.

Actually wtf happened to Nadeem? I'd take him over Jayant too tbh. Did he just not impress anyone and has been discarded, or do they want Jayant's batting ability.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
What is the consensus on Prithi Shaw (sp?)? he seemed to be on the same up and coming future of Indian cricket trajectory as Rishabh Pant, but I don't see him discussed as an option much anymore.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Hamza gets his ton...

...I wonder if Hamza is close to SA squad again?
You've got to think that he must be, having played against the Netherlands and then being brought into the A side after that series was cancelled. Petersen's the man in the side right now, but if he doesn't come off then Hamza could very well take his place.

Bahseph

International Debutant
You've got to think that he must be, having played against the Netherlands and then being brought into the A side after that series was cancelled. Petersen's the man in the side right now, but if he doesn't come off then Hamza could very well take his place.
Having watched them both I favour Hamza in the long run,but he really looked out of sorts when he had his run in the side so it's fair that Petersen is given a fair go. I'd actually play them both and not Bavuma. Sorry Temba,like you as a bloke.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Petersen, van Tonder, Hamza, Breetzke, Richards, Rickleton, de Zorzi, J. Malan.... all those players deserve a shot at the SA test side.

Its why I`m not such a fan of VDD playing. Not because he is poor but because his and Bavumas selection stops us from testing and finding the best of the youngsters for the future.

Many of those players are going to have effectively lost two years of playing career, without having a chance to force themselves into the SA squad or gain experience. With SA selection consistency of picking by line of succession determined age it is gonna hold SA back for many more years.

cnerd123

likes this
What is the consensus on Prithi Shaw (sp?)? he seemed to be on the same up and coming future of Indian cricket trajectory as Rishabh Pant, but I don't see him discussed as an option much anymore.
he's still quite young and raw, bit too much of a madman but the talent is there. We've just got a lot of opening options. Maybe he needs to do a reverse-Sehwag and move in the middle order.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I agree with you a 100%. VDD is a safe option imo in that he seems to produce even when he looks like be shouldn't. I think the team management have made good moves by blooding Mulder ,Sipamla ,Petersen and Verreynne,but they are obviously trying to strike some sort of balance. Perhaps the fear of getting completely blanked with a bunch of young batsman is too much for them.

@StephenZA. Sorry,didn't quote your reply.