• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This talk defending the innings in the context of the match is laughable. No road warrants batting for 200 overs and 750 runs in the 1st innings. If it did then more people would do it and someone else might have the record.

There are plenty of excuses you can use but it's an undeniable fact that there was a decision between a personal milestone and trying to win the game and the selfish decision was made.
Unless you're Queensland and are playing against Victoria in a shield final. Then 6/900dec is a very good, winning total.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is a delightful scorecard to look at:

I believe it was the only time two double centurions in the same innings did not share a partnership.

And the match has meme potential as well with Watson retiring hurt.

Thank goodness the Dr Jekell version of Mitchell Johnson showed up for that match.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a delightful scorecard to look at:

I believe it was the only time two double centurions in the same innings did not share a partnership.

And the match has meme potential as well with Watson retiring hurt.

Thank goodness the Dr Jekell version of Mitchell Johnson showed up for that match.
Jeez that really was an ordinary couple of weeks for Mick Lewis wasn't it?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I find the ability to talk about something as contextual as to why a certain decision was made in a game by people who did not watch the game or the series just laughably stupid.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
You can make a pretty strong XI out of players alive today who made their Test debut at least 60 years ago:

Colin McDonald
Bob Simpson*
Everton Weekes
Neil Harvey
Ted Dexter
Gary Sobers
Jim Parks+
Alan Davidson
Wes Hall
Sonny Ramadhin
Lance Gibbs

with John Reid, Rohan Kanhai, Ray Illingworth and Chandu Borde all also eligible. Weekes and Harvey both debuted nearly 71 years ago.
Updating this team: Lawry for McDonald, Kanhai for Weekes, Borde for Dexter and McKenzie for Davidson. Peter Pollock and Farokh Engineer (hopefully) become eligible in a month or so.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Updating this team: Lawry for McDonald, Kanhai for Weekes, Border for Dexter and McKenzie for Davidson. Peter Pollock and Farokh Engineer (hopefully) become eligible in a month or so.
I'm always a supporter of Border being selected for any team, but he doesn't fit the 60-years-ago criteria.

Nikhil99.94

School Boy/Girl Captain
My all time xi-
1.Hobbs
2.Hutton
3.Bradman(c)
4.Smith
5.Hammond(6th bowler+As good as any batsman not included )
6.Sobers(5th bowler,gets to the team by batting alone)
7.Knott(wk)
8.Larwood(extra pace)
9.Marshall(opening bowler)
10.O rilley
11.McGrath(opening bowler)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It is also that Jayawardene is arguably ranked as high as Sri Lanka's 3rd greatest cricketer, whereas Australia, South Africa, and India have so many more great players in their respective cricketing pantheons so there is less demand for Hayden, Smith, and Sehwag.
Not disputing Jaywardene getting into hall of fame but he is not the 3rd greatest.

Jayasuriya, Aravinda, Murali, Sanga and Malinga are all better.

He is in the second set with Vaas, Herath, Ranatunga, Samaraweera etc.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I said arguably. Murali and Sanga are definitely no 1 and 2. There would be a lot of debate about the order after that. Obviously Malinga had a stunning white ball career but didn't do much at test level

Last edited: