• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averaging 35 will be accepted again

Slifer

International Captain
How often does this happen though? Peak Australia aside, almost never I'd guess. Even 80s WI put up with Hooper and Logie, 1948 Australia had *checks notes* Sam Loxton. Probably worth mentioning that peak Australia carried Lee for 70 tests and guys like Nel and Zaheer were the premier bowlers of the age.
Peak WI :

Greenidge
Haynes
Viv
Kalli
Rowe
Lloyd

All 40+ (more or less)

Then:

Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Viv
Gomes
Lloyd

Only Gomes was sub 40 and that too was
39.63. Carl Hooper came in the late 80s, early 90s when our powers had far waned.

Slifer

International Captain
More random stats....

Currently there are
5 players with 1000+ career runs and a 50+ average (Marnus + "big 4")
Another 5 averaging 45-50 (Warner, Rohit, Taylor, Pujara, Agarwal).
And 7 more averaging 40-45.
The 20th best average for players with 1000+ runs is Markram at 39.7

Go back 10 years to the end of 2011:
There were 12 players with 1000+ runs and averaging 50+. Jonathon Trott was top of the list, then Kallis, Sangakkara, Tendulkar, Dravid, Younis Khan, Samaraweera, Bravo, Ponting, Jayawardene, Pietersen, Hussey.
Another 9 were averaging 45-50 : Cook, Smith, de Villiers, Bell, Chanderpaul, Amla, Laxman, Misbah, Clarke
The 20th best average was Misbah's 46.35
Another 12 players were averaging over 40, and the top sub 40 average was Shane Watson in 34th.

At end of 2001
8 x 50+ (Tendulkar top with 57.96, then Flower, Richardson, Dravid, Martyn, Gilchrist, Waugh, Lara)
6 more 45-50 and a total of 29 players averaging 40+
20th best was Mohammad Yousuf on 42.98.

At end of 1991
6x 50+ averages (Andrew Jones top!, with 1700 runs at 54.9.... then Javed, Mark Taylor, Robin Smith, Border, Richards)
Just 4x players were averaging 45-50,
and another 7 players were averaging over 40 (so 17 in total), and 20th was Greg Matthews averaging 39.19.

At end of 1981
4x 50+ averages (Richards top with 60, then Javed, Chappell G, Gavaskar)
Just 3 players averaging between 45-50 and another 7 40-45.
20th best was Vengsarkar, averaging 36.7 at the time.

Of course there were just 6 test sides vs the 10 that have contributed players to lists in later years...

At end of 1971,
Just 2 players averaging over 50 (Sobers and Walters)
only 5 more averaging 45+, and just 5 more 40+
the 20th best average was Asif Iqbal on 33.3

At end of 1961
5x 50+ : Sobers, Barrington, O'Neill, Saeed Ahmed, Worrell
4x 45-50, and 8 more over 40, and 20th was Graveney at 39.2

At end of 1951 there were 8x players averaging over 50 - Worrell, Weekes, Harvey, Hutton, Hazare, Nourse, Morris, Compton
I haven't checked all the lower-average players here, and I suspect there might not actually be 20 players with 1000 runs given how few tests most non Aus or Eng players would have played at this point.

All numbers calculated fairly manually so there may be errors, and there could be arguments over who was a current player at any point in time. Eg if a player played their last test in 1970 but were still playing first class cricket in 1971, should they be in the 1971 list? I've excluded them... Likewise someone like Bert Sutcliffe who seemingly retired in 1959 but played 8 tests in 1965, is not included in the 1961 numbers... But I did include players if there was just a 1-2 year gap in an otherwise consistent career. Eg, Chris Gayle is in 2011's numbers even though he didn't play a test in that year, given he played 12 tests in the next three years.
All I know is that my beloved WI has 0.0 players averaging even 35 which is a damn shame. And no, I don't count Bravo because goodness knows when that waste of talent will ever get his head on straight. ...

a massive zebra

International Captain
Peak WI :

Greenidge
Haynes
Viv
Kalli
Rowe
Lloyd

All 40+ (more or less)

Then:

Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Viv
Gomes
Lloyd

Only Gomes was sub 40 and that too was
39.63. Carl Hooper came in the late 80s, early 90s when our powers had far waned.
Haynes and Rowe barely played together though. When they did, Rowe was well past it, averaging mid 20s.

Slifer

International Captain
Ok, the 80s team then, with Richardson, gomes, etc. I believe over his first 30 tests or so, dujon was also averaging 40+

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All I know is that my beloved WI has 0.0 players averaging even 35 which is a damn shame. And no, I don't count Bravo because goodness knows when that waste of talent will ever get his head on straight. ...
Mayers still averages more than 35. Definitely on the way down though.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Manjrekar was saying the other day that he considered his test career in the 80s/90s a failure because he only averaged 37.

Sorry guys, support for this idea has been revoked from the great man.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Manjrekar's test career WAS a failure given his overall first class average was about 55. His non-test-match first class average was 62.6.
It's probably better than Hick, Bevan and Ramprakash, but it must be one of the highest drop-offs from non-test-match to test match average.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Manjrekar's test career WAS a failure given his overall first class average was about 55. His non-test-match first class average was 62.6.
It's probably better than Hick, Bevan and Ramprakash, but it must be one of the highest drop-offs from non-test-match to test match average.
Indian domestics is a piece of piss though, I think most top Indian bats easily cleared 50+ in domestic cricket.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Indian domestics is a piece of piss though, I think most top Indian bats easily cleared 50+ in domestic cricket.
Ok, I went looking and picked three decent-to-good test players from around Manjrekar's era to check first : Sidhu, Shastri and Ganguly. All have first class averages of 44.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ajay Sharma was just about exactly Manjreker's era and he averaged 67 in fc cricket over 130 games. There are quite a few ordinary Indian players that have ridiculously high domestic averages.

Spark

Global Moderator
Here is year-by-year runs per wicket averages.

1990-2002 relatively similar (30-33 runs per wicket) and then there is a huge spike period from 2003-2010 (basically 35-37 runs per wicket).

From 2010-2017 it's somewhere in between the 90s and the 00s (32-35).

From 2018-current is one of the most productive eras for bowlers.
If you're like me and find charts easier to digest than tables, here's the same data, post-war and post-1990. Red line is a 5-year moving average.

postwar-averages.jpgpost1990-averages.jpg

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So my guess that the stats post 2015 have to be treated like the 90s stats does make sense given the numbers. Good. :)