• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averaging 35 will be accepted again

Coronis

International Coach
They lost once and drew once to the Rebel WI team, so maybe not 'insane'.
Mhm, a lot of their best players were a bit past it by then. I was thinking mainly of mid-late 70’s, I’m convinced they would’ve been the dominant team at that point.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Good stuff, buy the dip imo. Stocks in seemingly ordinary batsmen e.g. Rory Burns and Travis Head about to skyrocket.
with trav though a look at the underlying numbers does show he sucks regardless of an average that isn’t terrible for the era… underlying numbers and the all powerful eyetest

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
with trav though a look at the underlying numbers does show he sucks regardless of an average that isn’t terrible for the era… underlying numbers and the all powerful eyetest
What numbers?

Not going to agrue on aesthetics, but the idea that Head has clearly failed at test level is not one at all based in reality, no matter how much TJB flops and flails around trying to say otherwise

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Ehh Head really wasn't that bad in England compared to most of the rest of the batting lineup, did better than Wade in the tests they played together, but Wade (wrongly imo) kept his place and got to pad his stats with a junk time century at the Oval once the game was well and truly gone. Similar story on dayboo in the UAE, he did a perfectly respectable job in difficult conditions.

I get some of the criticisms, yeah his technique looks pretty ropey at times, and the tendency to waste starts is a problem that needs to be improved upon, but the idea that he has been shown up at test level is absolutely a steaming pile of BS. In a stronger era for domestic batting things might be different but the depth simply isn't there

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Ehh Head really wasn't that bad in England compared to most of the rest of the batting lineup, did better than Wade in the tests they played together, but Wade (wrongly imo) kept his place and got to pad his stats with a junk time century at the Oval once the game was well and truly gone. Similar story on dayboo in the UAE, he did a perfectly respectable job in difficult conditions.

I get some of the criticisms, yeah his technique looks pretty ropey at times, and the tendency to waste starts is a problem that needs to be improved upon, but the idea that he has been shown up at test level is absolutely a steaming pile of BS. In a stronger era for domestic batting things might be different but the depth simply isn't there
Head was dogturd in england, got starts consistently and threw them away before they become anything meaningful. The only time he made 50 he got dropped 3 times AFAIR

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Who was that one man England selection committee that selected players who were most likely to make 30s consistently?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Head was dogturd in england, got starts consistently and threw them away before they become anything meaningful. The only time he made 50 he got dropped 3 times AFAIR
The fact that he WAS getting starts in the first place makes the series better than "dogturd" in of itself. The fact that none of said starts became an innings of substance is of course disappointing, but it isn't at all true to think he was out of his depth there

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Ed Smith I think.

Justin Langer said similar things too
wasn't langer's whole thing about big scores OVER 30's consistently? Remember him using that to validate marsh over maxwell when maxwell had a better conversion and tons/innings rate then m.marsh.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Now Maxwell is a whole different case entirely. Agree he was definitely shafted by being omitted from that UAE tour, but I have always suspected (admittedly without any evidence beyond Langer just seeming like that type of character) that only a small part of that at most was down to on field considerations

Not sure I really want to open that can of worms, but it's a boring Thursday afternoon and I have nothing better to do whatsoever

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Now Maxwell is a whole different case entirely. Agree he was definitely shafted by being omitted from that UAE tour, but I have always suspected (admittedly without any evidence beyond Langer just seeming like that type of character) that only a small part of that at most was down to on field considerations

Not sure I really want to open that can of worms, but it's a boring Thursday afternoon and I have nothing better to do whatsoever
It's Friday mate.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I think Smith as captain played a big part in it too. Get the feeling he was never a fan of Maxwell. There was also that 12-18 month period there when Maxwell was in the ODI side and barely bowled a ball, with Smith using Head as nearly a frontline spinner the whole time. Now I'm not saying that Head is a definitively worse bowler than Maxy, but it was a very noticeable and strange shift in roles at the time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Smith as captain played a big part in it too. Get the feeling he was never a fan of Maxwell. There was also that 12-18 month period there when Maxwell was in the ODI side and barely bowled a ball, with Smith using Head as nearly a frontline spinner the whole time. Now I'm not saying that Head is a definitively worse bowler than Maxy, but it was a very noticeable and strange shift in roles at the time.
Daily reminder that Head > Maxwell as a bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All jokes aside, I do think Maxwell should've been persisted with as a Test bat after that India tour, and I'd support recalling him for Head.