• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan vs Curtley Ambrose

Imran or Ambrose (Test)?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
And in my opinion, it's larger.

Everyone has situations where they weren't as good at the beginning or end of their careers, and what they end up with is where they averaged out.

Richards and Ponting had disappointing ends to their careers while Sobers and Smith started out as spin bowlers and the former had the added burden of being worked near to death as a bowler. And those are just 4 examples..

Imran averaged 19 in Pakistan because of favorable, even by the time's standard, umpiring. I don't see how that's even disputable at this point, it skews his record.
Pakistani umpiring standards at the time were horrible, but I don't see evidence that it was worse than say, India, or even WI and NZ. You would have a point if Pakistani umpiring was the exception. I don't see this as a valid point to downgrade a player's rating.

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
this curtly ambrose mandem bowled for 12 years

IMRAN khan bowled for 21 years.

Curtly couldnt hit the line of regression Imran had to go through to alter and downplay stats.

Immy anyday, this curtly is more comparable to Mo Asif who i dont rate higher then imran in effectiveness

Gob

International Coach
Another important thing is that Imran did much better against best opposition of the era. Ambrose, even as a part of a great bowling unit was not as successful against Pakistan as Imran against WI.
Best team Ambrose bowled at for most of his career was Australia and no one performed better against them as Curtly did

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
Best team Ambrose bowled at for most of his career was Australia and no one performed better against them as Curtly did
Best team Imran bowled at for most of his career was West Indies and no one performed better against them as Imran did

Slifer

International Captain
Nope. 1988 to 1994 circa it was Pakistan as second best side. Australia was the best side from 1995 onwards. Ambrose never bowled to the early and mid 2000 Aussie side which was the best.
Dude, Pakistan were the goodish side because of their bowling, not batting. I'm a little confused though, you literally said Australia were the best from 95 onwards. But then you also said Ambrose never bowled against Australia from mid 2000 which was the best. ????. Anyway, Ambrose excelled vs the best batting lineup of his time (Australia) where his contemporaries failed time and time again. ✌

Slifer

International Captain
this curtly ambrose mandem bowled for 12 years

IMRAN khan bowled for 21 years.

Curtly couldnt hit the line of regression Imran had to go through to alter and downplay stats.

Immy anyday, this curtly is more comparable to Mo Asif who i dont rate higher then imran in effectiveness
So we're penalizing Ambrose for not really having any slumps in his career?? And comparing Ambrose to Asif is insulting, so I'm going to assume you're either young or trolling. Ambrose played 98 tests, Imran 88 ftr...

bagapath

International Captain
if one were to consider Imran Khan's batting and bowling, then he is in contention of for the title of greatest cricketer ever - competing with, and closely losing to, Bradman and Sobers.

The comparison in this thread should be made assuming Imran Khan and Curtley Ambrose averaged zero with the bat; and the discussion should only be about how they stack up against each other as test match bowlers.

Both were incisive match winning strike bowlers who excelled in all conditions they played in.
Imran did better at home. Ambrose was not tested in India.

Imran was the leading bowler in the world from 81 - 83 before ceding to Marshall and Hadlee, but remained in the top five before that (in the Lillee era) and after that (in the Hadlee / Marshall era).

Ambrose was the leading bowler in the world from 89 - 93 along with Akram and Waqar and continued to be in the top 5 when Donald and McGrath took over the mantle in the following years.

In all, Imran will be remembered for his bowling in the 80s and Ambrose, in the 90s

It will have to boil down to personal preference . Because statistically there is nothing definitive to split them.

I go for imran for his pace and for his demolition skills. and because his peak years will never be matched by any bowler, ever.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So we're penalizing Ambrose for not really having any slumps in his career?? And comparing Ambrose to Asif is insulting, so I'm going to assume you're either young or trolling. Ambrose played 98 tests, Imran 88 ftr...
Last time ymaxxx was around all he did was troll by badmouthing any Indian cricketers he could think of and big up any Pakistan player that came up in discussion (or even that didn't).

Slifer

International Captain
Last time ymaxxx was around all he did was troll by badmouthing any Indian cricketers he could think of and big up any Pakistan player that came up in discussion (or even that didn't).
I see. Therefore, I'll try not to take his bait....

Engle

State Vice-Captain
In an At XI, I'd probably pick Imran ahead of Amby because as bowlers, there really isn't much in it. But Imran is an excellent captain and atg all rounder.
That's not what I was getting at. Putting aside captaincy, batting and just comparing their fast bowling skills, Imran had the ability to nurture, mentor, inspire and influence his fellow fasties. He was the 1st great fast bowler from the sub-continent and trail-blazed the art for a generation of others to pick up from where he left off.

Bolo.

International Captain
i am doing a pub quiz right now.

the last round had a one cricket question... name the player in the picturue.

it was imran... just saying