• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan vs Curtley Ambrose

Imran or Ambrose (Test)?

• Total voters

Migara

International Coach
Dude, Pakistan were the goodish side because of their bowling, not batting. I'm a little confused though, you literally said Australia were the best from 95 onwards. But then you also said Ambrose never bowled against Australia from mid 2000 which was the best. ????. Anyway, Ambrose excelled vs the best batting lineup of his time (Australia) where his contemporaries failed time and time again. ✌
Australia took the kead in 1996. It toom them another 5 - 6 years to become as good as WI team of 80s. Ambrose never bowled to this Aussie side.

And the first assumption is not true at all. Pakistan had a monster batting lineup during this time. So was West Indies. When they met each other both sides lost about 10 runs average from their usual performances.

1630352009675.png

Slifer

International Captain
Australia took the kead in 1996. It toom them another 5 - 6 years to become as good as WI team of 80s. Ambrose never bowled to this Aussie side.

And the first assumption is not true at all. Pakistan had a monster batting lineup during this time. So was West Indies. When they met each other both sides lost about 10 runs average from their usual performances.

View attachment 29087
Listen, any body with any semblance of understanding about cricket will agree that from 1995 til about 2007, Australia were the best team in world cricket. Ambrose played them in 3 series and was excellent throughout. The team he dominated in 1992-93 was also very very good. Please let this go!!

Gob

International Coach
Listen, any body with any semblance of understanding about cricket will agree that from 1995 til about 2007, Australia were the best team in world cricket. Ambrose played them in 3 series and was excellent throughout. The team he dominated in 1992-93 was also very very good. Please let this go!!
What Migara suggesting I suppose is the dominant Aust team after Gilchrist's arrival to which Curtley did not bowl to. He would have dominated them if he did though. He just bowled that length Aust batsmen hate
06 Ponting vs 92 Ambrose at Brisbane/Perth would have been a contest and a half

Slifer

International Captain
What Migara suggesting I suppose is the dominant Aust team after Gilchrist's arrival to which Curtley did not bowl to. He would have dominated them if he did though. He just bowled that length Aust batsmen hate
06 Ponting vs 92 Ambrose at Brisbane/Perth would have been a contest and a half
Ok fine, Australia became the dominant team once Gilly arrived which curiously also coincided with the decline/retirement of a plethora of fast bowlers including sir Curtly. In any event, Ambrose has a good record vs Pakistan; he averaged 25 in Pakistan and 27 vs them overall.

Gob

International Coach
Hey I wasn't agreeing with what migara was throwing in to the discussion just trying to understand his POV. Aust became no 1 as you said from 95 and Curtley played I believe 13 tests against them. Don't know what his record against them in that time but I definitely remember him bowling really well

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hey I wasn't agreeing with what migara was throwing in to the discussion just trying to understand his POV. Aust became no 1 as you said from 95 and Curtley played I believe 13 tests against them. Don't know what his record against them in that time but I definitely remember him bowling really well
I'd say Australia were probably the overall best side in the world from the time that Warne really gut gud (so basically the '93 Ashes onwards). Was admittedly fairly marginal, all of WI, Pakistan, SA and Australia were strong sides who had the capability to beat each other on their day and this would continue to be the case until the late 90's.

Gob

International Coach
I'd say Australia were probably the overall best side in the world from the time that Warne really gut gud (so basically the '93 Ashes onwards). Was admittedly fairly marginal, all of WI, Pakistan, SA and Australia were strong sides who had the capability to beat each other on their day and this would continue to be the case until the late 90's.
If you go to extreme origins, 89 ashes was prob the turning point and they kept getting better and better there onwards. Some classic Aust sides since Warne's debut too like

Taylor
Slater
Boon
Waugh Jr
Border
Waugh Sr
Healy
Warne
McDermott
Hughes
Breece Rude/Fleming/Reiffel

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you go to extreme origins, 89 ashes was prob the turning point and they kept getting better and better there onwards. Some classic Aust sides since Warne's debut too like

Taylor
Slater
Boon
Waugh Jr
Border
Waugh Sr
Healy
Warne
McDermott
Hughes
Breece Rude/Fleming/Reiffel
Aus were clearly behind the WI until they won in 1995 though. Didn't Allan Border never beat them and then right after he retired Mark Taylor did it first go lol

Gob

International Coach
Aus were clearly behind the WI until they won in 1995 though. Didn't Allan Border never beat them and then right after he retired Mark Taylor did it first go lol
Yeah it's hard to argue a team that has not lost a series for 15 years as anything other than the best in the world although the dynasty was on it's way down. Also make sence why Border smash a ball to the ground from the dressing room when WI won in Adelaide by two runs in 92/93 was it. Could have given Estraya the series

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, they were 2 runs away from beating them in Aus in 1993, and that was before Warne became a regular in the side. Would prefer to say that 1995 was the point at which Australia's supremacy became undeniable.

Migara

International Coach
Listen, anyone with even a bit of semblance would agree Australia of 95-2000 was no where close to West Indies of 1981-1992. Australia only got in to that mode post 2001. Before that they were obliterated in the sub continent. West Indies of 80s never underwent such results. So once again, Australia that Ambrose bowled to was no where as dominant to West Indies that Imran bowled to. Please let this go!!

Migara

International Coach
You can go round and round, but Imran average 21.8 against a team who never lost a series for one and half decade. And as the captain he never lost a series to the them as well. Nothing, compares to that performance, unless it has come against Australia 2001 - 2011 period or against Bradman's team or knocking Bradman cheaply multiple times.

sunilz

International Regular
You read new thing on Cricket Web everyday.

Now Ambrose is being penalised for not playing against Aus peak side(99-07).
And I thought the reason Aus became such a good side because they never had to face bowlers like Ambrose in 99-07.

There is absolutely no doubt that Ambrose is the best bowler to tour AUS in last 3 decades iirc.