• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That tally will take a beating when they catch up with you and you’re competing as the Great Britain* Olympic Committee in four years’ time.

*not England, which isn’t a country
The bitterness flows through you when we do well.

Burgey

Nah I hate England all the time. Sad they have to be carried by Wales, Scotland and NI, but given the natural disadvantages England operates under, it’s understandable.

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
To be fair, in contrast to previous Olympics I think 3 of our 19 gold medals have had involvement from athletes who weren't born in England (and in those case were born in Wales/Scotland). That's pretty much bang on what the population split says it should be.

flibbertyjibber

61st medal got. Already guaranteed 62 with the boxing tomorrow so need 3 more to match total medals from London and 5 more to match Rio. Been a great effort to keep the numbers so high even if the golds have been lower this time.

weeman27bob

61st medal got. Already guaranteed 62 with the boxing tomorrow so need 3 more to match total medals from London and 5 more to match Rio. Been a great effort to keep the numbers so high even if the golds have been lower this time.
3 more might be possible I suppose?

We've got Laura Kenny in the omnium tomorrow, two guys still in the keirin, Jo Choong in the pentathlon, team showjumping and a few unlikely shots in the athletics.

Spark

Global Moderator
As opposed to 5 out of 17 for Australia.

At this rate by the 2024 Games you'll be paying Kenyans to run for you like the countries in the middle east
I mean, that's a lower proportion than the actual % of the Australian population not born in Australia (just).

Daemon

I wonder what country has the highest proportion of medals won by people born not in that country.
Cbf but I’d start looking at one of the countries that has a low medal count, or perhaps one which has only recently became a country. Maybe both.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
A little hubris to close the games from Kenya
I suppose having the world marathon and world half marathon world record holders helps. Suddenly these Olympics, and the extensive bubble camp which was put up at the expense of so many other sports, are looking much more worth it.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Gold medal in the male modern pentathlon as well!
What was the old pentathlon?

Edit:. It was this

The first was the classic pentathlon, an athletics competition which was a variation on the Ancient Olympic pentathlon, comprising the long jump, javelin throw, 200 metres, discus throw, and a 1500 metres race. The competition featured at the 1920 and 1924 Summer Olympics but was discontinued thereafter.

Howe_zat

Audio File
What was the old pentathlon?
The ancient greek pentathlon was running, jumping, discus, javelin and wrestling. Supposedly it was meant to be the disciplines an ancient soldier needed. The 'modern' version was created in the late 19th century so it's meant to evoke that era of soldier.

weeman27bob

In triathlon, omnium and pentathlon so far GB have 4 gold and 2 silver with one medal possibly still to come. We have events of 3-5 disciplines properly nailed down.
If KJT hadn't been injured, we could have probably stretched that to 7 as well, although that probably depends on exactly how you can't the all around gymnastics.