• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hobbs or some other old english **** was still playing test cricket at 50. if you're still good enough, it works, especially in a semi-professional sport.

this is somewhat anecdotal since i don't have stats on hand but like most things the best riders are the ones who were in the saddle before they were 5 years old (as toddlers even) and got as good as possible before they were 30. it's a very strong trend in anecdotes from horse sport olympians about how they started - they were riding as soon as they could stand up.

looking around the amatuer scene, people tend to drop off quite drastically in their 40s and 50s unless they're already quite good.

i've run too many half marathons and **** to say the fitness compares because running is literally the most boring activity in the world so it hurts way more, but riding one horse as a hobbyist is very physical if you're actually training yourself and Andrew Hoy would be riding 10+ horses every day at home. **** that tbh.

I've still got a dodgy something in the back of my foot because i struggled to distribute my weight evenly when jumping and put something loose over time, and it sucks when running.

i'll put it cruder - have you ever been ****ed by a horse girl who competes?
ok

Daemon

hobbs or some other old english **** was still playing test cricket at 50. if you're still good enough, it works, especially in a semi-professional sport.

this is somewhat anecdotal since i don't have stats on hand but like most things the best riders are the ones who were in the saddle before they were 5 years old (as toddlers even) and got as good as possible before they were 30. it's a very strong trend in anecdotes from horse sport olympians about how they started - they were riding as soon as they could stand up.

looking around the amatuer scene, people tend to drop off quite drastically in their 40s and 50s unless they're already quite good.

i've run too many half marathons and **** to say the fitness compares because running is literally the most boring activity in the world so it hurts way more, but riding one horse as a hobbyist is very physical if you're actually training yourself and Andrew Hoy would be riding 10+ horses every day at home. **** that tbh.

I've still got a dodgy something in the back of my foot because i struggled to distribute my weight evenly when jumping and put something loose over time, and it sucks when running.

i'll put it cruder - have you ever been ****ed by a horse girl who competes?
neigh

Aritro

International Regular
I want bare back horse archery to be included in the Olympics. It's supposed to be the most difficult art to master and if you're not constantly practising you lose your skills.

The reasons the Huns/ Avars/ Mongols were so dangerous was that they were practising horse archery from childhood.
I want bare-arsed skullduggery to be included in the Olympics. Key skills include kicking over letter boxes, egging people's houses and "bronzing" people's cars, with your pants around your ankles. It's a relatively easy art to master, but practice makes perfect.

The reason that pissed Aussie lads are so proficient at is that they were practising bare-arsed skullduggery from late adolescence.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
well it certainly worked for Gengis Khan

_Ed_

Lisa Carrington is a freak - Olympic records in the K1 and K2 semi-finals within an hour or so of each other.

Daemon

I don’t understand the PC rule in Hockey - seems like people are intentionally trying to get the defence to touch their leg or something then crying for PC

Looks dumb

Chubb

International Regular
I don’t understand the PC rule in Hockey - seems like people are intentionally trying to get the defence to touch their leg or something then crying for PC

Looks dumb
Essentially, in hockey the ball carrier has all the rights, short of barging people over or physically shielding the ball. Part of the skill of defence is working within that to take the ball off them. It can be frustrating that people look for PCs in the D, and I can understand why it looks weird sometimes, but it is the same for both sides. In today's game Belgium are known for their prowess with the drag-flick so they will go for PCs if they get the chance.

At club levels, the lower you go the worse the PCs get and the fewer drag-flickers there are (it's extremely difficult and biomechanically worse for you than fast bowling), so while it's pretty certain Belgium will score 1 in 3 or so of them, it's less of a sure bet in the Melbourne Metro North West where my team can get 10 PCs in a game and fail to convert a single one. We have a higher chance of scoring a field goal than a PC so going for it isn't always percentage option.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I like seeing a medal tally adjusted for country's population, though it gets skewed a bit by random tiny countries that win 1 gold and have a huge ratio. I dare say NZ/Aus would be very close to the top

Daemon

These stories of people coming from nothing always get me

“I wanted an escape from my life; from the electricity shortages to the mosquitoes buzzing in our ear, from barely having 2 meals to seeing our home getting flooded. There was only so much my parents could do–Papa was a cart puller & Maa was a maid.
There was a hockey academy nearby, so I’d spend hours watching the players–I really wanted to play. Papa would earn Rs.80 a day & couldn't afford to buy me a stick. Everyday, I’d ask the coach to teach me. He’d reject me saying, ‘You aren’t strong enough to pull through a practice session.’
So, I began practicing with a broken hockey stick–I used to run around in a salwar kameez. But I was determined; maine bahut mushkil se convince kiya coach ko!

But my family said, ‘Hum tumhe skirt pehen kar khelne nahi denge.’ I’d plead, ‘Please mujhe jaane do. If I fail, I’ll do whatever you want.’ My family gave in.

Training would start early; we didn’t have a clock, so mom would look at the sky to check if it was time to wake me.
At the academy, it was mandatory for each player to bring 500 ml of milk. My family could only afford milk worth 200 ml; so I’d mix the milk with water & drink it.

My coach supported me; he’d buy me hockey kits & shoes. He even took care of my dietary needs. I wouldn’t miss a single day of practice.
I remember I won Rs.500 at a tournament & gave the money to Papa. He hadn’t ever held so much money in his hands. I promised my family, ‘One day, we’ll have our own home’; I did everything in my power to work towards that.

After representing my state, I finally got a national call up at 15! Still, my relatives would only ask me when I was getting married. But Papa said, ‘Play until your heart’s content.’ With my family’s support, I eventually became captain of the Indian hockey team!
Soon after, papa’s friend visited us. He brought along his granddaughter & told me, ‘She’s inspired by you & wants to become a hockey player!’ I was so happy!

And then in 2017, I fulfilled the promise I made to my family & bought a home. We cried & held each other tightly! And I’m not done yet; this year, I’m determined to repay them & Coach with something they’ve always dreamed of–a gold medal from Tokyo.”

Daemon

Whakatane (population of 17,000) has now won 4 medals from sending 3 athletes to the Games: Lisa Carrington (2 canoeing golds), William Warbrick (part of men's 7s silver medal winning team), and Hayden Wilde (triathlon bronze).
There's a 6,010 sqft area in Paradise Valley with a population of 5 that has now won 23 Gold medals