• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Their players seem really into it. I remember a Commonwealth games match quite a few years back between the women teams from India and New Zealand. An Indian player committed an obvious foul and NZ were awarded a penalty which lead to the umpire being surrounded by the entire Indian team for like 3 minutes being abused and eventually the umpire overturned the ruling and gave India the penalty instead, from which they scored.

it was one of the most disgraceful things I've ever seen in sport tbh.
Surely you weren't surprised?

Daemon

Are Indian hockey fans as generally woeful as their cricket supporters, or are they usually more reasonable? Also, what's the hockey demographic over there? A lot of hard, country ****s tend to play it here.
Have no idea, but as with all other olympic sports we've suddenly developed about a million 'experts' on the sport all keen to share their deep insight from 2 minute google searches.

So not that much different from cricket fans I guess.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I found Hockey tougher to play than football back in school. But my #2 sport to play has always been Tennis. I think people like watching Hockey but at least football gets a lot of club based support and fan fights in certain parts of India. I don't recall hockey ever being like that except maybe in the early 90s.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Have no idea, but as with all other olympic sports we've suddenly developed about a million 'experts' on the sport all keen to share their deep insight from 2 minute google searches.
TBF, that is how most 'experts' on India are too, from around the world.

Chubb

International Regular
I found Hockey tougher to play than football back in school. But my #2 sport to play has always been Tennis. I think people like watching Hockey but at least football gets a lot of club based support and fan fights in certain parts of India. I don't recall hockey ever being like that except maybe in the early 90s.
Malaysia has some hockey "Ultras" for some reason.

Club games can be quite bad tempered in my experience. And I'm not a saint, let's just leave it there.

Burgey

These referrals in hockey take even longer than an NRL video ref decision

The Indian goalie has been incredible.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely terrible play by the hockeypoos as soon as the game actually counted for something.

Well played India, deserved victory.

Burgey

Awesome stuff from India there, crazy game.

The Aus skipper should be up soon to issue the apology

Chubb

International Regular
Well done India! Thought the game management in the last quarter was a bit risky but it worked out for them :)

It's worth remembering the Hockeyroos had some massive issues to overcome before this Olympics, they shouldn't be too downhearted about it and look to build again for 2024.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's always been ridiculous that the pool games in hockey don't really matter and honestly the Hockeyroos were undercooked because they'd never played from behind before. Their inexperience was well and truly on show today.

Burgey

Aus skipper in her post-match interview there. A few tears about how bad things have been and what the team means to her, but no apology to the nation.

anil1405

International Captain
Nice, how big an upset is this? Like Bangladesh beating England in '15 WC?
Wouldnt call that game back in 2015 an upset. Eng were a mediocre odi side back then.

Or do you mean this Aussie women's side is mediocre too?