• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Following up on a request, top 10 greatest batsmen of all time in tests (not including the Don)

Aritro

International Regular
if there was a club called I Love Poo CC, there would still be a debate to be had about whether it's worse than the Southern Rocks.

bagapath

International Captain
dude, smith is well clear of kohli. the wide defender is still trying to clear williamson and root before he can chase down smith in eyes not belonging to the indian media hype train.
You're sure of that being the case with me? Is it not possible that I have formed my own opinion which could be different from yours but not automatically be coloured by media hype? Do the other nine names on my list too look like that to you?

Flem274*

123/5
You're sure of that being the case with me? Is it not possible that I have formed my own opinion which could be different from yours but not automatically be coloured by media hype? Do the other nine names on my list too look like that to you?
well it's either media influence or you're just wrong

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Your own opinion is objectively wrong.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
there is no objectivity in liking or disliking someone for stylistic reasons. it is totally subjective.
If you're self-admittedly basing your list on subjective aesthetics then I don't see why anyone would object

If it was interpreted as a list of "best batsmen" I'm sure you can understand why most would question it

Kirkut

International Regular
Viv is the best batsman of post-uncovered era IMO. His statistical record isn’t the greatest and even has some glaring flows. However, the fact that he didn’t wear helmet despite most pace bowlers that time, especially Australian ones repeatedly tried to bounce him off and yet failed, puts him up there for me.

And in ODI Cricket, he was just so much ahead of his time that it boggles my mind!
I guess you meant 'flaws'. Interesting, would you enlighten us more on this? Would he be a circumspect against against top notch lateral movement a la Broad of 2011 or Asif?

bagapath

International Captain
If you're self-admittedly basing your list on subjective aesthetics then I don't see why anyone would object

If it was interpreted as a list of "best batsmen" I'm sure you can understand why most would question it
i am using aesthetics as a criteria to define the best; and it will be, obviously, subjective.

it is up to me to make my list of “best” batsmen.
I am curious to know others’ lists I may disagree with them but it is always interrsting to see what people consider while judging and forming these rankings There cant be one indisputable list

and it is not like i pushed chris martin in!!!

Kohli and Gilly belong in the discussion for sure

for example, I know so many hard core cricket fans who never liked Allan Border’s style with limited stroke production. but i can watch him bat for hours. He is not considered graceful but i find him eminently watchable

this is my list of best batsmen in the given time period
You’re welcome to disagree
But it is meant to reflect what i look for in batting

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is almost as if the amount of runs scored across cricket games are never constant and that batting averages may not really matter or even show case impact of batsmen across games, right?

Kirkut

International Regular
To OP. My top 2 batsmen are Viv and Lara in no specific order.

Viv Richards had a vibe about him, just watch his 70 odd at Adelaide in 1981, the ease with which he played shots in covers and in the V were imperious. He doesn't hit the ball hard like some of the pinch hitters, most of his shots are pure timing but with an emperor like flair.

Lara was easily the most unique batsman ever. In fact his uniqueness would make me put him in the list of top 100 artists in sports world. Unlike Tendulkar's economic efficiency while playing shots, Lara had a massive back-lift with an artistic follow through showing typical Carribbean flair.

kyear2

International Coach
A top 10 is really difficult, but they are tiers IMO.

Also there is a difference between greatest and best, Hobbs is likely for most no 1 for greatest but for me, closer to 10th for best.

For me, the ones who are actually in the discussion for best after Bradman

1. Sobers
2. Richards
3. Tendulkar
4. Lara
5. Hutton

Then the next tier that in my mind is slightly below or have question marks.

6. Hobbs (era)
7. Smith (still playing)
8. Hammond
9. Gavaskar
10. Pollock / Headley (no. of tests)

Honorable mention goes to Chappel, Border, Ponting, Sangakkara, Kallis

Coronis

International Coach
A top 10 is really difficult, but they are tiers IMO.

Also there is a difference between greatest and best, Hobbs is likely for most no 1 for greatest but for me, closer to 10th for best.

For me, the ones who are actually in the discussion for best after Bradman

1. Sobers
2. Richards
3. Tendulkar
4. Lara
5. Hutton

Then the next tier that in my mind is slightly below or have question marks.

6. Hobbs (era)
7. Smith (still playing)
8. Hammond
9. Gavaskar
10. Pollock / Headley (no. of tests)

Honorable mention goes to Chappel, Border, Ponting, Sangakkara, Kallis
Idk I always feel like Hobbs’ era improves his record but thats just me.

Jack1

International Debutant
Sangakkara averaged 66.78 in 86 tests when he didn't keep I double checked. That in mind, after Bradman..

I am just about OK with:
1. Sangakkara
2. Smith
3. Headley (70 FC average and 3 tests after the war effected his test average yet it was still 60.83)
4. Sutcliffe (never averaged under 60 in tests from his very first innings, 54 tests)

After this, all things considered, it becomes very close. I might think some more before completing the list.

Gob

International Coach
Tendulkar
Richards
Hobbs
Sobers
Lara
Chappell
Gavaskar
Ponting
Sangakkara
Pollock

Normally don't consider active players but TPC is one Ashes 19 like series away from an exception

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar
Richards
Hobbs
Sobers
Lara
Chappell
Gavaskar
Ponting
Sangakkara
Pollock

Normally don't consider active players but TPC is one Ashes 19 like series away from an exception
Does that exception only apply while he’s still playing – i.e. if he retired without another such series he’d still be elevated into your top ten on retirement?

I only ask because it’s illustrative of the level that Smith has been batting at that the type of series you describe above which would grant him your exception is one that the vast majority of batsmen in Test history – even the very greatest – never achieved. And Smith has already had three of them.