• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Following up on a request, top 10 greatest batsmen of all time in tests (not including the Don)

indiaholic

International Captain
Thing with Lara and De Villiers is that they actually seemed God like when they were in form. Seemed to know what was going to be bowled before the ball was delivered. This will lead to some over rating. But you can't blame people for that.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually quite like Smith and want him to continue reaching new heights. His Ashes comeback was a stuff of legend and hope he has that kind of series against non-English team for a change..
You had me for a bit there Ngl, solid bait.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You believe Lara somehow has a better record and technique than Tendulkar? Not to reignite that debate, but I assumed the arguments in favor of Lara had more to do with his peak performances, his style and mastery over spin.
I dont think technique means much given it is extremely individual. As far as I am concerned Lara was the better test batsman, that is all. And I do not see how that is over rating Lara anymore than calling Sachin clearly better is over rating Sachin.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
1.Sobers
2.Viv Richards
3.Tendulkar
4.Lara
5.Hobbs
6.Hutton
7.Hammond
8.Gavaskar
9.Sangakkara
10.Smith

Richards the best batsman I have seen, though Lara and Tendulkar are pretty close to him.

Not sure how to rate Smith at this stage, but he will only move up from there.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
In no order (those I have seen and also not included anyone from the present batch)

Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid
Jack Kallis
Kumara Sangakkara
Sunil Gavaskar
Allan Border
Steve Waugh
Ricky Ponting

Younis Khan
Martin Crowe
Javed Miandad
Kevin Pieterson
A. B. D
Michael Hussey
Gordon Greenidge
Graeme Smith

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
From 1982 onwards...

Gavaskar
Richards
Border
S Waugh
Tendulkar
Lara
Ponting
Gilchrist
ABDV
Kohli

bagapath

International Captain
Top 10 of all-time excluding Bradman...
in chronological order...

Hobbs
Hammond
Hutton
Sobers
G Chappell
Gavaskar
Viv Richards
Tendulkar
Lara
Gilchrist

Jayro

U19 12th Man
I wonder, why most (including me) are so averse to include Kallis in the highest order despite of statistics that he has in his favour, is it a flaw that he didn't look that natural flair or just our strong liking for other more entertaining batsmen.

Aritro

International Regular
Started watching cricket from around 89 or so.... Not gonna rank those who I did not watch, and off the top of my head...

Lara
Sachin
Miandad
Ponting
Aravinda De Silva
Martin Crowe
Steve Waugh
Sangakkara
Younis Khan
Pieterson

1627419754616.png

As you can see, Aravinda played some cricket at Nondescripts Cricket Club. Sadly, no one can remember if he was good or ****e. It was all pretty forgettable tbh

bagapath

International Captain
smik
kohli ahead of steve smith? come on, get off the hype train.
Its probably my eyes... I find smith, miandad and chanderpal difficult to watch. of course, there is no way to split them and batters like Kohli and ABDV in terms of effectiveness. all are great. I am going for who I like.

Gilly is one of the best against everyone, everywhere and I always believed he was among the very best who played the game.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its probably my eyes... I find smith, miandad and chanderpal difficult to watch. of course, there is no way to split them and batters like Kohli and ABDV in terms of effectiveness. all are great. I am going for who I like.
there definitely is. Smith is a class above

Flem274*

123/5
smik

Gilly is one of the best against everyone, everywhere and I always believed he was among the very best who played the game.
dude, smith is well clear of kohli. the wide defender is still trying to clear williamson and root before he can chase down smith in eyes not belonging to the indian media hype train.