• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So apparently what happened to Simone Biles is that she got "lost in the air" mid-jump and more or less lost track of the where the ground was, which seems like an utterly terrifying thing to have happen to you when you're spinning like a top in the air around all sorts of large, heavy solid objects.
Beth Tweddle was saying on BBC that all gymnasts have moments like that and it just happens to have been in the biggest stage of all. Takes time and training to sort out and she hasn't got time so did the correct thing pulling out.

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
I don't like this approach. It allows for almost anything, because Olympics. Anything that doesn't qualify according to this then is made to qualify by adjusting some aspect of it, like having 7 players, or age limits, or something else. I particularly hate judged sports. Boxing should be until knockout, wrestling until tap out, etc. The motto is not higher, faster, stronger, prettier, narlyer, etc.
Would you take out Archery/Shooting? They don't fit the motto but equally aren't judged. Not trying to catch you out or anything, genuinely curious.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It would probably have been the first thing that came to mind for me for 'lamest Olympic sport', but my 4 year old absolutely loved watching it yesterday.

Maybe not the most objective criteria but 'keeping the RIS children entertained' is definitely something I'm valuing from the Olympics this year.
Walking, IMHO.

70 top class athletes waggling their arses like they've got some love beads shoved up there and they all seem to break into a trot when they think no-one's looking anyway.

I mean, expanding on the martial origin of sports, has there ever been an occasion when it's been more effective to mince away from the enemy rather than run flat out?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Would you take out Archery/Shooting? They don't fit the motto but equally aren't judged. Not trying to catch you out or anything, genuinely curious.
No I wouldn't. I don't know where I really stand on my stance. I just know I have hated rythmic gymnastics ever since it appeared. I think skateboarding is a great hobby but does not deserve Olympic status, nor surfing. But, hey, if other people enjoy them, really, I suppose that is good enough.
Really, I just want to see a dash and splash. Run 100m straight into a 50m swim to the finish.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
It sounds to me like that thing where the conscious part of the brain panics under pressure and tries to take over a process that the subconscious part is much better at. Happens to golfers a lot, but the stakes are much lower.
I get this walking down the stairs sometimes

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kudos to the Australian boxer who didn't hide her emotions at being beaten. You know that's how they're all feeling when they get knocked out of their competitions.

cnerd123

likes this
Are boxing referees always this annoying or is it just for the olympics

Been more stops called than punches landed

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is Hong Kong competing separately? I had a look and saw they have done so in the past, but I thought China might have put the kibosh on it given everything else going on there. It strikes me as being a bit like Tassie competing separately from the rest of Australia or the Isle of Wight from the UK.

That 100m freestyle race was something else. Chalmers with a massive swim.

Athlai

Not Terrible
New
Why is Hong Kong competing separately? I had a look and saw they have done so in the past, but I thought China might have put the kibosh on it given everything else going on there. It strikes me as being a bit like Tassie competing separately from the rest of Australia or the Isle of Wight from the UK.

That 100m freestyle race was something else. Chalmers with a massive swim.
My thought is that making Hong Kong compete under the China banner would indirectly suggest that Chinese Taipei isn't China.