• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

sunilz

International Regular
At various times he did face some pretty crap bowling at home from WI, India, NZ and Pakistan tbf.
2014-15 Indian test , Pakistan attacks in last 2 years , NZ in 2015-16 were absolutely garbage

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
since the start of 2018 players batting 1 - 7 in test cricket have averaged 33. between 2001 to the end of 2017 they averaged 38.

smith averages 56 during that 2018 - 2021 chunk. he's 23 runs clear. even if you want to start lining up some 2010 - 2017 'garbage attacks', he's more than proven himself since that period.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
smith averages 56 during that 2018 - 2021 chunk.
But he is not exactly head and shoulders above the rest, given that he missed the BG Trophy in 2018-19 which is perhaps one of the best touring attacks India has ever had in SENA and all of his Ashes runs were against an Anderson-less England.

And there are many more who average more than him in the same period, including someone from his own team. I am not sure how this point is supposed to help Smith. :)

Slifer

International Captain
2014-15 Indian test , Pakistan attacks in last 2 years , NZ in 2015-16 were absolutely garbage
Let's go. WI that Sachin faced post 2000 crap, Pakistan ok, England Ok, NZ lol garbage, Zim/Ban no comment, RSA for the most part very good actually but nothing compared to Rabada, Philander and Steyn. SL very good.

Both have faced a similar mix of great and dire attacks but only one has absolutely dominated and been a relentless run machine. Sachin has never dominated a great bowling attack like Smith did vs India in his last series in India.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Dravid and Laxman managed monster 500+ series and they literally played in the same team. This thing about not playing long enough series does not fly. Lara managed 688 runs in 3 tests, Smith 700+ in 4 tests.

And you keep mentioning this thing about playing bowlers who average less than 25. To my mind, let's see:
Sachin

Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop (one series)
McGrath
Wasim, Waqar, Imran
Steyn, Pollock, Donald
Murali
Bond, Hadlee ??

Smith

Steyn, Philander, Rabada
Abbas
Ashwin, Jadeja, Bumrah

Big difference is, Sachin has never ever had a monster series ala Smith. Sachin never had the insane conversion Smith has. Comparatively speaking the following attacks now are better than the ones Sachin generally faced:

RSA, Eng, NZ. India is comparable to the Aussie attacks Sachin faced especially at home. Wi now is weaker than 90s Wi but Sachin only faced a decent Wi attack in one series. Smith has hardly ever faced any absolutely dire attacks like Zimbabwe or Bangladesh from the 90s. My point, Smith is absolutely comparable to Sachin, Lara etc.

Flem274*

123/5
But he is not exactly head and shoulders above the rest, given that he missed the BG Trophy in 2018-19 which is perhaps one of the best touring attacks India has ever had in SENA and all of his Ashes runs were against an Anderson-less England.

And there are many more who average more than him in the same period, including someone from his own team. I am not sure how this point is supposed to help Smith. :)

only 2 people ahead of him have played 10 or more tests, and labuschagne has played 6 away tests across 2 countries in his entire career. you think this is a gotcha but it's just a confirmation smith is ridiculous and KW is in red hot form.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I suppose now that the exercise is done, what I feel is that the list shows who had the best 12 year run out of the last 30 years. And I suppose 12 seems a reasonable length of time when a batsman can be valuable to a side. But given these are ATGs we are talking about, or at least those levels, I would prefer 15. I dont agree with some of the other aspects and rankings too, personally, having seen most of these players in the last 30 years.

That said, the methodology made a lot of sense in a lot of other respects and helps go deeper than just basic stats of batting average and runs etc. So an excellent effort and a very thought provoking exercise, which is the best we can hope these to be. Well done, @venkyrenga :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
you think this is a gotcha but it's just a confirmation smith is ridiculous and KW is in red hot form.
Nah, the list also has Babar Azam who is there and thereabouts and you also have to factor in who played where and against whom given the lol samplesize. Like I said, those numbers really do not prove much at all in favor of Smith. His numbers from 2015, OTOH......

Last edited:

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Dravid and Laxman managed monster 500+ series and they literally played in the same team. This thing about not playing long enough series does not fly. Lara managed 688 runs in 3 tests, Smith 700+ in 4 tests.

And you keep mentioning this thing about playing bowlers who average less than 25. To my mind, let's see:
Sachin

Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop (one series)
McGrath
Wasim, Waqar, Imran
Steyn, Pollock, Donald
Murali
Bond, Hadlee ??

Smith

Steyn, Philander, Rabada
Abbas
Ashwin, Jadeja, Bumrah

Big difference is, Sachin has never ever had a monster series ala Smith. Sachin never had the insane conversion Smith has. Comparatively speaking the following attacks now are better than the ones Sachin generally faced:

RSA, Eng, NZ. India is comparable to the Aussie attacks Sachin faced especially at home. Wi now is weaker than 90s Wi but Sachin only faced a decent Wi attack in one series. Smith has hardly ever faced any absolutely dire attacks like Zimbabwe or Bangladesh from the 90s. My point, Smith is absolutely comparable to Sachin, Lara etc.
I am not saying that as an excuse because when some one has played 200 tests you expect such mammoth series from the batsman. All I am saying is that when pitted against Smith,Lara Kohli etc ,Sachin's this fact of ' short series where he averaged mammoth' too need to be taken into account when providing marks to this particular factor.This because he could have a few mammoth series indeed if those series were long enough. That's all.

Again Bruce Reid, .F.Devilliers,B.Schultz, S.Clark, R.Harris, S.Bond, M.Asif too averaged <25 .Sachin faced them.I would add Warne too as an exception because he was averaging <25 even after first 657 wkts of his.

Again I already briefed about the 3 Indian bowlers & Abbas you quoted w.r.t Smith.No doubt if nothing surprising happens all these 3 Indian bowlers will be averaging beyond 25 by the time they are done. M.Asif too can be added to this list that makes Smith's count 4. Means still 21:4 in favour of Sachin. Again Sachin faced lots of 25-30 averaging bowlers like Fraser, D.Fleming, Akhthar, Anderson,Broad, Ntini, Mcdermott, Nash ,Gilliespie, C.Matthews M.Hughes, Gough, Caddik, Vaas etc etc too. In the last para of your's you made nation wise comparison. But , by quoting these 25-30 averaging bowlers, I made bowler-bowler comparison that shows the superior bowling quality in general that Sachin faced.

Again, I am not saying Smith can't be comparable to Sachin , but at this stage of his career(only 7540 runs) .... no way.I can't put him above Sachin. Let him finish his career.

Slifer

International Captain
I am not saying that as an excuse because when some one has played 200 tests you expect such mammoth series from the batsman. All I am saying is that when pitted against Smith,Lara Kohli etc ,Sachin's this fact of ' short series where he averaged mammoth' too need to be taken into account when providing marks to this particular factor.This because he could have a few mammoth series indeed if those series were long enough. That's all.

Again Bruce Reid, .F.Devilliers,B.Schultz, S.Clark, R.Harris, S.Bond, M.Asif too averaged <25 .Sachin faced them.I would add Warne too as an exception because he was averaging <25 even after first 657 wkts of his.

Again I already briefed about the 3 Indian bowlers & Abbas you quoted w.r.t Smith.No doubt if nothing surprising happens all these 3 Indian bowlers will be averaging beyond 25 by the time they are done. M.Asif too can be added to this list that makes Smith's count 4. Means still 21:4 in favour of Sachin. Again Sachin faced lots of 25-30 averaging bowlers like Fraser, D.Fleming, Akhthar, Anderson,Broad, Ntini, Mcdermott, Nash ,Gilliespie, C.Matthews M.Hughes, Gough, Caddik, Vaas etc etc too. In the last para of your's you made nation wise comparison. But , by quoting these 25-30 averaging bowlers, I made bowler-bowler comparison that shows the superior bowling quality in general that Sachin faced.

Again, I am not saying Smith can't be comparable to Sachin , but at this stage of his career(only 7540 runs) .... no way.I can't put him above Sachin. Let him finish his career.
Fair enough, I can respect that pov.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Thank you all for your support. I know that there is no one methodology which can satisfy everyone. Despite that I believe all of us enjoyed this countdown. And the truth is, if I slightly tweak the formula Sachin could edge out Smith or Lara could edge out Waugh and so on. So in my mind the real ranking from this system is,
No.1 - Smith & Sachin
No.3 - Waugh, Lara & Kallis
No.6 - Ponting
No.7 - Younis, Dravid & Sanga
No.10 - Kohli

And again, thank you.

sunilz

International Regular
Thank you all for your support. I know that there is no one methodology which can satisfy everyone. Despite that I believe all of us enjoyed this countdown. And the truth is, if I slightly tweak the formula Sachin could edge out Smith or Lara could edge out Waugh and so on. So in my mind the real ranking from this system is,
No.1 - Smith & Sachin
No.3 - Waugh, Lara & Kallis
No.6 - Ponting
No.7 - Younis, Dravid & Sanga
No.10 - Kohli

And again, thank you.
Are you planning this exercise for ODI also ?