• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
Tendulkar never had Smith like series ( Ashes 2019, 2017 BG trophy) in his entire career. So unless Smith has a huge form slump he is already ahead of everyone in modern era afaic
part of this problem of Sachin can be attributed to his 'longevity in both formats combined'. Sachin averaged >80 in 16 series. but couldn't score >500 in any series because those series were very short ones.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the reasons Smith doesn't have many well known "rivalries" is because he's generally won them all.
Archer sticks in the mind because he sconned him but don't think he even got him out once. Ashwin last series for reasons CricAddict mentioned. Wagner the other one but most of those were declaration slogging or caught in the deep I think

sunilz

International Regular
One of the reasons Smith doesn't have many well known "rivalries" is because he's generally won them all.
Archer sticks in the mind because he sconned him but don't think he even got him out once. Ashwin last series for reasons CricAddict mentioned. Wagner the other one but most of those were declaration slogging or caught in the deep I think
Not won against Rabada.
Hardly played against Bumrah.
Remaining points you are correct.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
You are not right about this. If you look up the averages per decade 2010s has had lower average scores than 2000s.
went thru decade wise averages ...Actually not much difference among averages starting from 90s. But I think the average not higher in this 2010 era has got to do with several other factors as well . But I don't think that has any thing to do with 'the impact of a specific batsman facing lot more <25 averaging bowlers'.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wagner the other one but most of those were declaration slogging or caught in the deep I think
Nah, there was more to it than declaration slogging as easily as Aust won that series. Smith looked genuinely uncomfortable against Wagner

Just watch from 2:06

Edit: It's the "
Wagner goes head-to-head with Wade, Smith, Warner
" video on you tube which apparently is prevented from being linked to forums

Flem274*

123/5
Wagner the other one but most of those were declaration slogging or caught in the deep I think
nope. burns and warner weren't generally the guys hurting nz much (especially burns), it was labuschagne, a bit of smith and then some random like head would stay with labuschagne for ages. it was very annoying.

Slifer

International Captain
part of this problem of Sachin can be attributed to his 'longevity in both formats combined'. Sachin averaged >80 in 16 series. but couldn't score >500 in any series because those series were very short ones.
Dravid and Laxman managed monster 500+ series and they literally played in the same team. This thing about not playing long enough series does not fly. Lara managed 688 runs in 3 tests, Smith 700+ in 4 tests.

And you keep mentioning this thing about playing bowlers who average less than 25. To my mind, let's see:
Sachin

Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop (one series)
McGrath
Wasim, Waqar, Imran
Steyn, Pollock, Donald
Murali
Bond, Hadlee ??

Smith

Steyn, Philander, Rabada
Abbas
Ashwin, Jadeja, Bumrah

Big difference is, Sachin has never ever had a monster series ala Smith. Sachin never had the insane conversion Smith has. Comparatively speaking the following attacks now are better than the ones Sachin generally faced:

RSA, Eng, NZ. India is comparable to the Aussie attacks Sachin faced especially at home. Wi now is weaker than 90s Wi but Sachin only faced a decent Wi attack in one series. Smith has hardly ever faced any absolutely dire attacks like Zimbabwe or Bangladesh from the 90s. My point, Smith is absolutely comparable to Sachin, Lara etc.