• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ALL TIME WORLD XI TEAM for tests?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't need to bring up Tendulkar's record against spin to justify that he is better player against spin compared to Greame Smith

But if you think Khalid Masood, Javed Omar and Rajin Saleh were better players of spin to Graham Gooch, Graham Thorpe and Mike Atherton then, go on
I am talking about Aminul Islam and Habibul Bashar being better than them against spin the SC in the 1990s, yes. And Thorpe played in the mid-late 90s, then I can include Tamim Iqbal to the 2000s BD batch too. But sure, go on.

Gob

International Coach
I am talking about Aminul Islam and Habibul Bashar being better than them against spin the SC in the 1990s, yes. And Thorpe played in the mid-late 90s, then I can include Tamim Iqbal to the 2000s BD batch too. But sure, go on.
I think its stupid but ok

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dude, you can simply check the Australia in Bangladesh thread from around 2004 or whenever it was when they smashed Warne. I tried hard to see break up of spin Vs pace numbers for test teams in statsguru for specific period, but it was not available.

Gob

International Coach
Dude, you can simply check the Australia in Bangladesh thread from around 2004 or whenever it was when they smashed Warne. I tried hard to see break up of spin Vs pace numbers for test teams in statsguru for specific period, but it was not available.
Lol it was 2006. They dominated Warne in one innings when Nafees made a hundred but Warne returned well took a five wicket haul and averaged 28 or something from memory over two tests. Is that your definition of smashing

Just drop it. 00s Bangers were a disgrace to cricket and sometimes it's okay to accept that you are wrong

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol it was 2006. They dominated Warne in one innings when Nafees made a hundred but Warne returned well took a five wicket haul and averaged 28 or something from memory over two tests. Is that your definition of smashing

Just drop it. 00s Bangers were a disgrace to cricket and sometimes it's okay to accept that you are wrong
Lol, I am not denying that they were woeful. Does not mean they did not smack Warne around with far more ease than 90s England ever did, which means it is silly to discount them as minnows when it comes to playing spin, for they clearly could play it well.

And Warne got a bunch of latter half wickets, IIRC. A lot of posters pointed the same thing out throughout the thread. Juz accept that it is stupid to remove stats selectively when there are so many variables just to discredit one player, else remove 90s England from Warne's record too if we are going down the minnows argument, that is all. Its just as okay to accept you are wrong too.

Gob

International Coach
Lol, I am not denying that they were woeful. Does not mean they did not smack Warne around with far more ease than 90s England ever did, which means it is silly to discount them as minnows when it comes to playing spin, for they clearly could play it well.

And Warne got a bunch of latter half wickets, IIRC. A lot of posters pointed the same thing out throughout the thread. Juz accept that it is stupid to remove stats selectively when there are so many variables just to discredit one player, else remove 90s England from Warne's record too if we are going down the minnows argument, that is all. Its just as okay to accept you are wrong too.
They smashed Warne around in one innings. Look I'm not going to go circles with you here and state my opinion England were a mediocre team in the 90s, more so against spin but they still had some quality players like Gooch, Thorpe, Atherton, Hussain, Stewart etc and they played spin to various degrees from Gooch and Thorpe being excellent to someone like Stewart being below average but still they were significantly better than any Bangladesh batsman because they weren't test standards. Let me show you something

Spin bowlers vs Bangladesh in 00s

20210505_011749.jpg

Spin bowlers vs England in 90s

20210505_011848.jpg

If you try to look at this objectively with out trying so hell bent to prove a pre conceived idea of yours, not only you will see the ludicrous averages against Banglades but also the players boasting those numbers. Some absolute spuds like Sarwan, Grant Flower, Robin Pietersen, Ramesh Powar have such great records against them compared to there record against 'good' teams and there must be a reason like gee I don't know may be they weren't test standards against any kind of bowling. Do you see that vs England?

You can argue till cows come home or simply change your mind and accept you were wrong. It's not that hard

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Just to avoid the sample size argument (relatively speaking), put a 10 wicket limit

Vs England in the 90s

20210505_014201.jpg

Vs Bangladesh in 00s

20210505_014139.jpg

Point being you can be an extremely mediocre bowler like Pietersen, Adams or Price and still end up with ATG like numbers against Banglades because they were not test standards. England were sad and pathetic but still somehow test standards and miles ahead of Bangladesh

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeah I checked and there is a long list of bowlers who got called for throwing during games (Ian Redpath, Bruce Yardley etc) with Murali being the last of them. I think it was fine in the early days when there were no other better solution but sufficient technology was definitely there at the time of Murali's throwing or even before that and they should have used them given it's far more accurate than what the ump see

As for the crowd thing, I just think it's not good for the image of the game for such situations to occur
If Murali was a chucker at the time Hair called him, it shows a massive systemic failure thru the system Murali came thru.

Gob

International Coach
If Murali was a chucker at the time Hair called him, it shows a massive systemic failure thru the system Murali came thru.
I don't think he was tbh. The rule change happened after his Doosra was allegedly exceeding the given limit then (which was 5 degrees or something) but his off break was legitimate IIRC

I'm not very educated about this subject so I could well be wrong too but that's what I recall

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tbf even today chuckers get to Australian first class cricket. It wasn't that long ago that Bird (not Jackson) was banned for chucking. It's pretty easy to make it to professional level cricket by subtly chucking and by the time you're there the officials don't want to kill your career unless you're obvious about it.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
As hapless as BD and Zim were - don't forget Murali played almost exclusively against the best batsmen Zimbabwe have ever produced - 180 wickets in 25 games is almost 19th century-level obscene. Maybe MacGill and Warne could rival those numbers if they got to play as much as Murali and as the lone spinner/only world-class bowler in their side. But Murali's record against both minnows as it stands is in a league of its own; there's really no one in sight to establish a meaningful hypothesis.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Queensland, family house close to the NSW border. Very nice place and short drives either way to Gold Coast, Bondi, Blue Mountains etc.
Are you going to get down to Brunswick Heads/ Byron? Wanker central but genuinely beautiful. Would recommend St Elmo's for a Tapas-style dinner and Harvest at Newybar for lunch - it's the best restaurant in the whole region. Would avoid the Farm if possible, too many #blessed types there. Railway or the Northern for a beer rather than the Beach, although the coconut margaritas at the latter are very very good.

Burgey

I find it a disservice to paying spectators and general cricket viewers to have to go through the pain to watch some one running in to bowl 10 overs an hour ,risking a potential ban to his captain due to filthy over-rates and trundling off with some injury when the team needs him the most.
No one's picking Brett Lee in their team ffs.

Burgey

Tbf even today chuckers get to Australian first class cricket. It wasn't that long ago that Bird (not Jackson) was banned for chucking. It's pretty easy to make it to professional level cricket by subtly chucking and by the time you're there the officials don't want to kill your career unless you're obvious about it.
Wasn't Gannon banned a couple of years ago? If not, he should be. Disgusting action. Also, Chris Green was banned from bowling in the Big Bash the season before last. It happens everywhere.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As hapless as BD and Zim were - don't forget Murali played almost exclusively against the best batsmen Zimbabwe have ever produced - 180 wickets in 25 games is almost 19th century-level obscene. Maybe MacGill and Warne could rival those numbers if they got to play as much as Murali and as the lone spinner/only world-class bowler in their side. But Murali's record against both minnows as it stands is in a league of its own; there's really no one in sight to establish a meaningful hypothesis.
Yeah it's a pretty impressive set of numbers. Very ODI Rashid Khan-esque.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Wasn't Gannon banned a couple of years ago? If not, he should be. Disgusting action. Also, Chris Green was banned from bowling in the Big Bash the season before last. It happens everywhere.
Arjun Nair. Probably should be more as well. Too many bowlers get through to state circket in Australia with blatantly illegal actions.

On the positive side at least that's where they stop. Some countries have had multiple suspect actions making it to their national side, Sri Lanka probably suffering more than most.