• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka’s Tour of the West Indies-2021- All Format

Tom Flint

International Regular
Its a new one because he wasn't trying to save himself which is normally the case in obstruction, this time he was doing it to save his mate.
Pollard coming in for some unjust criticism online imo

Tom Flint

International Regular
Was his correct course of action there to stand still in the middle of the pitch then?

He had a general idea of where the ball might be but his movements suggested he was actively trying to avoid touching the ball, not the other way round.
Hmm its a tough call, its possible but I saw he looked up and see the trouble his partner was in

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That's an interesting one, because I hadn't even considered the non-striker. And when I watch it back, he tells the non-striker to go back but then seems more concerned about himself. I don't see any sheltering of the other guy at all. And I still don't see any intent to stand on the ball, I just see him trying to go back into his crease (which wasn't hard, it wasn't far away) and the ball happens to be there.

So I'm prepared to say it's a very hard one, but I still think it's not out. And I still see zero relevance to soft signal when the third umpire has access to more information and repeatedly than the on-field umpire does. Same for lbws. Borderline catches I can understand.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Was his correct course of action there to stand still in the middle of the pitch then?

He had a general idea of where the ball might be but his movements suggested he was actively trying to avoid touching the ball, not the other way round.
This is the way I saw it too

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
That's an interesting one, because I hadn't even considered the non-striker. And when I watch it back, he tells the non-striker to go back but then seems more concerned about himself. I don't see any sheltering of the other guy at all. And I still don't see any intent to stand on the ball, I just see him trying to go back into his crease (which wasn't hard, it wasn't far away) and the ball happens to be there.

So I'm prepared to say it's a very hard one, but I still think it's not out. And I still see zero relevance to soft signal when the third umpire has access to more information and repeatedly than the on-field umpire does. Same for lbws. Borderline catches I can understand.
I really don;t think it should have been given out according to the laws of the game. But the third umpire had the evidence and somehow decided not to use it. Neutral umpires are definitely needed. West Indian umpires aren't necessarily biased, they are just useless.

I don't appreciate all the hate Pollard is getting from Sri Lankan's on social media though. He was well within his rights to appeal, the guy basically stopped a run out at the non strikers end, whether accidental or not.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh that's not on Pollard, 100%. In the heat of the moment, he didn't know what the batsman had done - he was hunting the ball. Umpires are there to make decisions. That's rubbish if Sri Lankan fans are going at him. Instances like McCullum running out Murali, totally different because he was aware.

Whether or not it was out (and clearly some people differ in their view) again for me it rears its head about the nonsense of umpire's call and soft signal. If the umpire had given it not out on soft signal, I imagine he would have been given not out on review. And there's just no point to that when the incident can be viewed quite clearly.

Beamer

Oh that's not on Pollard, 100%. In the heat of the moment, he didn't know what the batsman had done - he was hunting the ball. Umpires are there to make decisions. That's rubbish if Sri Lankan fans are going at him. Instances like McCullum running out Murali, totally different because he was aware.

Whether or not it was out (and clearly some people differ in their view) again for me it rears its head about the nonsense of umpire's call and soft signal. If the umpire had given it not out on soft signal, I imagine he would have been given not out on review. And there's just no point to that when the incident can be viewed quite clearly.
Yeah I'm with you, I don't understand how umpires call can be relevant for an incident like that.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

The nice guys of international cricket!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pollard should only cop criticism for the whooping and cheering after it was given out. Seemed a bit cringe. Like imagine Tahir setting off on a celebratory run after you get a wicket like that.

Janu9

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Stand in captain, A. Matthews return back to Sri lanka for personal reason -- 2nd ODI starts today in 11 hours or so.

I am impress with Hasaranga who in last 50/50 (1st game)sends 20 Dot out off 60 ball

Tom Flint

International Regular
It could work out really well, holdelr is the only player selected to play all 3 formats atm unless Pooran plays in the tests. As an all rounder he has more than enough responsibility already. The only problem would be kraiggs place in the team as before Bangladesh it was in jeopardy

Beamer

Bit harsh
He did fairly well in Bangladesh without Holder...
I believe it is the best decision for West Indies cricket. Jason is a superb ambassador for West Indies cricket and I think overall he has done a decent job in test cricket given the resources he had to work with. But there is no getting away from the fact he is a very conservative captain and made quite a few tactical errors. Kraigg has demonstrated innovative captaincy in Bangladesh and in the recent domestic 4 day game. He has the support of the young guys who played in Bangladesh and I think they needed to go with that momentum. I think it's a good call.

Kraigg does need to score some runs though!

Beamer

It also frees Jason up to truly become the best test all rounder without the pressure of captaincy/media etc. I think he can do it.

Beamer

Windies Test squad will be announced today at 5.30pm UK time. I'm guessing they will go with:

Kraigg Braithwaite (c)
John Campbell
Darren Bravo
Nkrumah Bonner
Kyle Mayers
Jermaine Blackwood
Joshua Da Silva (wk)
Jason Holder
Rakheem Cornwall
Kemar Roach
Shannon Gabriel

Reserves:
Jamal Warrican
Chemar Holder
Shamarh Brooks

Will be the most interesting Windies test selection announcement for a long time given the performance in Bangladesh and the recent 4 day game.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see they've ditched Dowrich. Wonder if he still had something to contribute with the bat, but a poor keeper.

Janu9

Sri lanka without Matthews today who returned to Sri lanka with personal reason -- So far he is total failure in the series sa far.
Shanaka or Ramesh Mendis might gets chance today

Janu9

Windies Test squad will be announced today at 5.30pm UK time. I'm guessing they will go with:

Kraigg Braithwaite (c)
John Campbell
Darren Bravo
Nkrumah Bonner
Kyle Mayers
Jermaine Blackwood
Joshua Da Silva (wk)
Jason Holder
Rakheem Cornwall
Kemar Roach
Shannon Gabriel

Reserves:
Jamal Warrican
Chemar Holder
Shamarh Brooks

Will be the most interesting Windies test selection announcement for a long time given the performance in Bangladesh and the recent 4 day game.
I think your choice good but something missing

Last edited: