• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this tbh. From right arm over or left arm over, sure - but the angle of Starc going left arm around means that Paine is starting a lot straighter. From memory he was basically in line with the stumps, rather than the more traditional positioning. It's a regulation catch at that level, but I think almost all 'keepers would struggle to take it on their feet.
It's not so much that he would have caught it had he had better footwork, it's that he would be in a much better position to judge whether it was going to first slip and thus he could have left it. Would have been a straightforward catch just to Warner's left hip. But on the replay, he never moves his feet at all.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This isn't even vaguely close to true either. He should have had a stack of wickets at Melbourne, bowled more than well enough to get them and the bulk of the catches dropped/missed were off his bowling.

On top of the "oh he only gets tailenders" which took me about 15 seconds to disprove with one google search, it's stuff like this that makes me think that this is a bit and a troll you're pursuing mostly to get a rise rather than based in actually watching him bowl.
The tailender thing is just true. Yeah, I'll concede he was good at Melbourne but IIRC he did waste the new ball in the 2nd innings. Even still, my not rating Starc is not even unusual and I'm still not sure why GAS is so personally wound up over it. Lyon and have their critics here too. It's odd all around. Mitchell Starc is flattered by his average just as Ben Stokes is undersold by his. I mean this is a fairly inoffensive stance so GAS can gagfc, thanks.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
makes me wonder, could any Aus batter outside of Smith and Labu actually stonewall that effectively?
I doubt it, except maybe as a one off (like the Neville-O'Keefe scoreless partnership). It's simply not in the Australian cricket lexicon, together with pitching the ball up, defensive bowling, and setting defensive fields.

Spark

Global Moderator
The tailender thing is just true. Yeah, I'll concede he was good at Melbourne but IIRC he did waste the new ball in the 2nd innings. Even still, my not rating Starc is not even unusual and I'm still not sure why GAS is so personally wound up over it. Lyon and have their critics here too. It's odd all around. Mitchell Starc is flattered by his average just as Ben Stokes is undersold by his. I mean this is a fairly inoffensive stance so GAS can gagfc, thanks.
It's literally not true. Like, you can count the actual wickets that he's taken over his Test career and he hasn't taken a disproportionate amount of 8-11 wickets at all. It's like... numerically not true.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this tbh. From right arm over or left arm over, sure - but the angle of Starc going left arm around means that Paine is starting a lot straighter. From memory he was basically in line with the stumps, rather than the more traditional positioning. It's a regulation catch at that level, but I think almost all 'keepers would struggle to take it on their feet.
Yeah but you know Starc can swing it away from the right hander from that angle. So you are still going to the offside unless the ball deviates off the wicket. Mean, the first movement is still the regular one, at least it was for me with our left arm opening bowler back in school days.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It's not so much that he would have caught it had he had better footwork, it's that he would be in a much better position to judge whether it was going to first slip and thus he could have left it. Would have been a straightforward catch just to Warner's left hip. But on the replay, he never moves his feet at all.
Yeah this is fair - no doubt his footwork was definitely not there - caught off-guard and very flat footed - but I think even in a situation where the 'keeper is technically proficient and executes at the time, there's probably still a dive.

I think it's perfectly reasonable that the 'keeper goes for that catch, too, but you're absolutely right that if his technique was there he'd have been able to judge it better.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but you know Starc can swing it away from the right hander from that angle. So you are still going to the offside unless the ball deviates off the wicket. Mean, the first movement is still the regular one, at least it was for me with our left arm opening bowler back in school days.
At least you have to be aware, and thus you have to... move your feet. His were totally planted, and thus all he could do was dive.

cnerd123

likes this
I doubt it, except maybe as a one off (like the Neville-O'Keefe scoreless partnership). It's simply not in the Australian cricket lexicon, together with pitching the ball up, defensive bowling, and setting defensive fields.
explains why the comms go on and on about playing your natural game then lol

Burgey

makes me wonder, could any Aus batter outside of Smith and Labu actually stonewall that effectively?

Green yes, but the rest seem to not be as comfortable in defence.
If you’re injured it’s a bit easier to stonewall in the sense it’s literally all you can do.

Also, Cummins would have a decent crack at trying the Ashwin job from today. Don’t know he’d succeed but it’s the sort of thing he’d have a dip at

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's literally not true. Like, you can count the actual wickets that he's taken over his Test career and he hasn't taken a disproportionate amount of 8-11 wickets at all. It's like... numerically not true.
Tbf, it's not so much the % of wickets he takes against the tail, but the average he gets those wickets at. Can't be ****ed looking up what has numbers are against the tail, and comparing it with other bowlers though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Tbf, it's not so much the % of wickets he takes against the tail, but the average he gets those wickets at. Can't be ****ed looking up what has numbers are against the tail, and comparing it with other bowlers though.
Yeah but surely that isn't unusual? They're crap at batting, that's why they're the tail. Of course they wouldn't be scoring many runs off a bloke bowling 145km/h bouncers.

Burgey

If you have actually good footwork then you're never, ever diving for those I believe. You're either taking it past your right hip or it goes to first slip. Obviously if it's not going to carry, that's another matter.
I think the pace surprised him a bit too. Little doubt they were standing pretty close to avoid a drop short. But I don’t disagree with you

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesring that you are still trying to make this about me, frankly I'm flattered

But the truth of the matter is you were wrong, got called out on it, and are now having a weapons grade dummy spit about it