• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
I have never kept in games for too long with slips but yes, typically, if the ball is to the first slip's left and you are standing in regular formation, it is considered your catch coz you got the gloves and you are moving outside off with the ball anyways, mostly.
If you have actually good footwork then you're never, ever diving for those I believe. You're either taking it past your right hip or it goes to first slip. Obviously if it's not going to carry, that's another matter.

pardus

School Boy/Girl Captain
Surprised Viv found that exciting, the batsman were actually trying to not get out and they never challenged any of the bowlers to a fight behind the toilets after school
Viv himself was part of such a nail-biting draw (WI-Pak 2nd Test 1988)

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
de Kock is unironically the only keeper of the world capable of diving in front of his slips and not looking stupid

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If you have actually good footwork then you're never, ever diving for those I believe. You're either taking it past your right hip or it goes to first slip. Obviously if it's not going to carry, that's another matter.
Yeah, the couple of paces to the right as the ball comes past the stumps is so regular and easily covers the distance to the left of the first slip.

Burner

International Regular
Seems like I missed a great last day. Monumental effort from India. Would not have predicted this.

The pitch was terrible though. Was a roady road all throught the game. Only thing that made this game interesting is the bowling attacks. Basically looked like a definite draw if the batsmen were worth their salt.

Hopefully the Gabba is more like the first two tests. Would take another 3 day test tbh.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
I call Pant irritating, but Paine's sledging is even worse. Stump mics need to be off unless we have some really good characters around the stumps who might say something interesting.

Spark

Global Moderator
Literally was only good at Adelaide and even then didn't take any wickets during 36 ao. C'mon, do better. I'm here all day, every day, watching every game.
This isn't even vaguely close to true either. He should have had a stack of wickets at Melbourne, bowled more than well enough to get them and the bulk of the catches dropped/missed were off his bowling.

On top of the "oh he only gets tailenders" which took me about 15 seconds to disprove with one google search, it's stuff like this that makes me think that this is a bit and a troll you're pursuing mostly to get a rise rather than based in actually watching him bowl.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Paine was just caught totally flat-footed, wasn't ready for the reverse at all.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, Paine was just caught totally flat-footed, wasn't ready for the reverse at all.
Yep, he has a pattern of that. It looks spectacular when it comes off, but it often doesn't and a lot of his drops are exactly of the kind we saw this evening. The other two drops today were pretty leaden-footed as well. Not good keeping at a technical level in general.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I call Pant irritating, but Paine's sledging is even worse. Stump mics need to be off unless we have some really good characters around the stumps who might say something interesting.
Pant is irritating but never mean. Hell, I don't think he even addresses the batsman, just keeps non-stop encouraging his team.Tedious and a nuisance but that's about it.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the couple of paces to the right as the ball comes past the stumps is so regular and easily covers the distance to the left of the first slip.
I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this tbh. From right arm over or left arm over, sure - but the angle of Starc going left arm around means that Paine is starting a lot straighter. From memory he was basically in line with the stumps, rather than the more traditional positioning. It's a regulation catch at that level, but I think almost all 'keepers would struggle to take it on their feet.