• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bandicam? Good god I haven't seen that watermark in awhile, you're stuck in the stone age mate.

Good content from the both of you though. Lovely.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bandicam? Good god I haven't seen that watermark in awhile, you're stuck in the stone age mate.

Good content from the both of you though. Lovely.
mate, I went to record it through the Windows 10 GameBar but it seems like they've removed the ability to record when you're clearly in a web browser

stephen

Actually changing the lyrics of Que Sera, Sera to reference Siraj is a pretty intelligent and hilarious sledge.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Isn't that a region north of India where the Nazis believed the matter race evolved from? An unfortunate last name when it comes to allegations of racism though.
Nazis believe 'Aryans' came from the Eurasian Steppe, and that some migrated down to Iran/Northwest India, some migrated West to Europe.

I happen to be originally from NW India and look very atypical for an Indian. I find his last name utterly embarrassing, and would change it if it were mine.

Kirkut

International Regular
Isn't that a region north of India where the Nazis believed the matter race evolved from? An unfortunate last name when it comes to allegations of racism though.
No. European indologists interpretation of Indian history coupled with world wars gave 'aryan' or 'swastika' a bad reputation.

social

He fell to the off side quite a bit and just nailed those deliveries through midwicket anyway. This became really apparent towards the end of his career when he became... less good at this.
Yep

Was about to post same thing

Ponting was a modern day Viv

You couldn’t teach a non genius to be consistent with that technique

Smith, for all his idiosyncrasies, play much straighter

Gnske

Nazis believe 'Aryans' came from the Eurasian Steppe, and that some migrated down to Iran/Northwest India, some migrated West to Europe.

I happen to be originally from NW India and look very atypical for an Indian. I find his last name utterly embarrassing, and would change it if it were mine.
Post of the thread.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep

Was about to post same thing

Ponting was a modern day Viv

You couldn’t teach a non genius to be consistent with that technique

Smith, for all his idiosyncrasies, play much straighter
Right, what I was thinking was more that the shots that Smith really relies on hand eye for are the wide flashy drives whereas Ponting relied on it to play balls on the stumps. Smith obviously could just elect not to play those shots or change how he plays them, whereas Ponting never could/did. In general imo the bigger your backlift, the more reliant on hand eye you are because the earlier you have to decide where the ball will be.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Considering we're playing for the draw anyway, I hope Pujara refuses to take singles tomorrow to conserve energy and maximally trigger the loser brigade.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Right, what I was thinking was more that the shots that Smith really relies on hand eye for are the wide flashy drives whereas Ponting relied on it to play balls on the stumps. Smith obviously could just elect not to play those shots or change how he plays them, whereas Ponting never could/did. In general imo the bigger your backlift, the more reliant on hand eye you are because the earlier you have to decide where the ball will be.
I dont think they are that similar as players and I guess I will put Smith in the category above Ponting amongst the best batsmen I have seen but I do feel his batting career will follow a similar trajectory.

Spark

Global Moderator
I dont think they are that similar as players and I guess I will put Smith in the category above Ponting amongst the best batsmen I have seen but I do feel his batting career will follow a similar trajectory.
I don't think Smith will play on as Ponting did tbh. Ponting really probably should have retired when he gave up the captaincy and his career would look a lot more impressive if he had, lacking that two or three years more of mediocrity tacked on to the end.

I think that if Smith does decline it'll actually be more the mental side that goes first - his incredible concentration and hunger for runs - rather than the technical or physical side. That's actually what happened to Ponting, he kept getting starts and then getting out to random straight balls or hooking to fine leg.