• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well first off he should be at 5 instead of Wade.

beyond that, I don't have much of an opinion. the team doesnt need an all-rounder atm, but like, Wade or Head aren't so compiling that Green should go out. I'd let it roll on for a little while, see what happens

the big bambino

International Captain
Now that we've worked out Khawaja should open with Pucovski at 5, how about Green?

I know the next allrounder Steve Waugh did nothing for about 20 Tests, but when will Green do something?

He was considered a bowling allrounder batting 8 until his injury where he re-invented himself as a middle order bat, but now in Tests he's not doing much more than Cummins with the bat and doesn't get to bowl much as 5th bowler?
He scored 45 at dodgy Melbourne. Can forgive him here. Wade threw him in to face BOOMrah who was getting balls past our best since Bradman when he about 70 against his name.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
usman drew a circle of trust and langer wasn't in it
This can't be that far from the truth.

I can only think that the selectors know for sure what they'll get with Khawaja and for some reason think a guy who can reliably average 40-42ish who is more aged can't make the cut because his human potential to be the next great is curtailed severely.

Then again Wade is still trapsing about in the team. But I'm reluctant to say it's a culture problem based entirely on what we saw in The Test and snippits in the media, even if Langer saying "Usman's got a mind of his own and he'll talk back, I like that" seemed like a bald faced lie.

Gnske

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Khawaja claimed differently. Based on everything we've seen of Langer's culture, it's absolute shallow, pseudo-moralistic tripe.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Good day of cricket for India. Usually when Aussies get to bat first on a docile SCG pitch and Labu and Smith both get to 100s (or nearabout) you would expect them to score 500 plus. Especially considering 200/2 at one stage.

Tremendous bowling by Bumrah and Jadeja to pull back things. Good stuff from Gill but would have expected him to bat through. He will learn.

Tomorrow first session will hold the key

Spikey

This can't be that far from the truth.

I can only think that the selectors know for sure what they'll get with Khawaja and for some reason think a guy who can reliably average 40-42ish who is more aged can't make the cut because his human potential to be the next great is curtailed severely.

Then again Wade is still trapsing about in the team. But I'm reluctant to say it's a culture problem based entirely on what we saw in The Test and snippits in the media, even if Langer saying "Usman's got a mind of his own and he'll talk back, I like that" seemed like a bald faced lie.
I think there's overthinking going here. It's as simple as Smith got injured & Marnus scored runs and someone had to make way. The problem was, and I called it at the time, was that they dropped Bancroft for Harris for the 3rd test (the one Smith missed), and then you couldn't drop Harris after one game (sorry Ferguson) and Head/Wade were locks in the middle order. And then the next summer the narrative formed around poor unlucky Joe Burns, so he got first gig, and Usman didn't have a good FC summer, and then leading into this test summer, Usman didn't score runs either, except for the last game.

The problem is the selectors don't sit down to pick the best team for tomorrow, they pick a team based on the narratives that have been created over the last few games, and Usman didn't put forward a good narrative during this time period.

It's what I mean by "(these) selectors are extremely limited in how they make selection decisions". When faced with a selection issue (needing two openers), they were completely perplexed as to what to do so they went with "stick with the winning team (Burns)" and "Matty Wade is a tough little fighter who'll do anything for the team, let's open with him!". It was never actually "ok, which two players are the best option, and then are there reasons not to pick them?" (Shaun Marsh is very old so he's out)

anyway I should stop before Burgey explodes

srbhkshk

International Captain
Don't even recall the last time India had 50+ before losing a wicket away from home, the late wickets soured it up a bit, but all in all you will take this score from 200/2.

Gnske

It's what I mean by "(these) selectors are extremely limited in how they make selection decisions". When faced with a selection issue (needing two openers), they were completely perplexed as to what to do so they went with "stick with the winning team (Burns)" and "Matty Wade is a tough little fighter who'll do anything for the team, let's open with him!". It was never actually "ok, which two players are the best option, and then are there reasons not to pick them?" (Shaun Marsh is very old so he's out)
You know what I don't even care enough to dispute the reasons. I just wish he was here.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Now that we've worked out Khawaja should open with Pucovski at 5, how about Green?

I know the next allrounder Steve Waugh did nothing for about 20 Tests, but when will Green do something?

He was considered a bowling allrounder batting 8 until his injury where he re-invented himself as a middle order bat, but now in Tests he's not doing much more than Cummins with the bat and doesn't get to bowl much as 5th bowler?
My word! It's his 3rd test match...
In all honesty I would probably take him out the spotlight for the 4th test and bring in Moises

TheJediBrah

Green will come good with the bat. He's only batted 4 times. Let's not all jump to the conclusion that he's trash (though todays innings and dismissal was very poor)

Flem274*

123/5
haven't seen a ball but are some people really suggesting drop one of the most talented cricketers i've ever seen with a domestic batting average of 58 because his first few knocks weren't good?

this isn't australia 2001, you can't do this and still win games man.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Green will come good with the bat. He's only batted 4 times. Let's not all jump to the conclusion that he's trash (though todays innings and dismissal was very poor)
Don't you not think he bats like Cummins, more interested in blocking than scoring runs. Starc should bat 8 above Cummins because of that btw

aussie tragic

International Captain
haven't seen a ball but are some people really suggesting drop one of the most talented cricketers i've ever seen with a domestic batting average of 58 because his first few knocks weren't good?

this isn't australia 2001, you can't do this and still win games man.
Wouldn't that be Jamieson, what are you thinking lol

Gnske

i saw your real post. bring it back, coward
I can't afford to be wrong every minute of my life man.

Only my interpretation of what I've seen, which is worthless. And everyone here, most of all me knows I couldn't interpret a splooge rag with the words "I love you" sponged out over the crust.

Flem274*

123/5
no i mean green
Don't you not think he bats like Cummins, more interested in blocking than scoring runs. Starc should bat 8 above Cummins because of that btw
cummins should bat above starc because his ability to hang around builds partnerships with the real batsmen. starc biffs quick runs so he comes in lower when there is less innings left.