• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
Dunno if Smith is back in form or whatever. The deck is easy, some of the bowling was poo. My theory is he was in ‘form’ all along but just got unlucky at times and also faced some good bowling to good plans. If he’d got a boundary to get going in those innings it’d probably have gone well for him. It was possibly largely in his head.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to the T20 struggles, he’s never been that good in them anyways.
Nah he looked genuinely bad in Melbourne. No stability at the crease, playing too square, not balanced.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
This is not what I wanted to wake up to! This is not good! I do not back the Indian batting in a high scoring contest! Let's see if we can skittle them tomorrow morning else this is going to be an unpleasant Test as an Indian fan.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah he looked genuinely bad in Melbourne. No stability at the crease, playing too square, not balanced.
Eh, I think the conditions have had some part to play in him looking good today.

Even Labu has looked quite out of sorts despite scoring runs, but was in complete control today.

Either way, he’s definitely not far from big runs and those saying the leg trap exposed him or whatever were clearly talking out their arse.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
or we will collapse to nathan ****in lyon
A distinct possibility, given our number 4 isn't a well-known player of off-spin, and 5-11 are unreliable at best.

Interestingly, I am banking a lot on our openers on this pitch. This is a tailormade situation for Rohit.

Shri

Mr. Glass
A distinct possibility, given our number 4 isn't a well-known player of off-spin, and 5-11 are unreliable at best.

Interestingly, I am banking a lot on our openers on this pitch. This is a tailormade situation for Rohit.
don't think it is a good plan to make him face cummins with a new ball tbh

will move him down to 5 and make vihari open

the big bambino

International Captain
Thought the pitch had something in it. Seems a road only in comparison to the first two games. Bumrah straightened a few and Ashwin got turn and bounce including one pretty memorable ball to Smith. Jadeja looked looked good and got some bounce too. If India had Shami with Siraj as the 3rd seamer I think you'd have seen Australia struggle.

I don't know how far Puc goes back in his across move - not like Chappelli, but he looked balanced. He's probably wondering how he missed the one that got him out. Forgettable day for AT BG WK Pant.

Spark

Global Moderator
Eh, I think the conditions have had some part to play in him looking good today.

Even Labu has looked quite out of sorts despite scoring runs, but was in complete control today.

Either way, he’s definitely not far from big runs and those saying the leg trap exposed him or whatever were clearly talking out their arse.
Just goes to show how tiny the margins are tbh. If you're slightly off you look like a hack against this level of bowling, but just slight tweaks and a few good shots and you look absolutely fine again

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
don't think it is a good plan to make him face cummins with a new ball tbh

will move him down to 5 and make vihari open
Somewhat of a tangent, but Pat Cummins is imo one of the least new ball dependent fast bowlers going around. Not because he isn't any good at it, not even remotely, but because he can still generate challenging seam and bounce even with an old ball on a flat deck. He's certainly no Frauderson who needs miserable grey skies and a fresh shiny cherry red Dukes to be vaugely useful

Gob

International Coach
Dunno if Smith is back in form or whatever. The deck is easy, some of the bowling was poo. My theory is he was in ‘form’ all along but just got unlucky at times and also faced some good bowling to good plans. If he’d got a boundary to get going in those innings it’d probably have gone well for him. It was possibly largely in his head.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to the T20 struggles, he’s never been that good in them anyways.
He rediscovered his form last night when he insisted his missus that it is imperative to make love in whites
Sometimes all you need is bit of a foreplay

Gob

International Coach
Never really understood the logic behind people thinking that Ponting catch shouldn't be out. Now admittedly I can't recall the exact wording in the rules but why do you care if he pushes the ball into the ground after he catches it, when it's a comfortable catch that was controlled all the way? As Gob said, he never lost control and fumbled it on to the ground. If you take a catch and throw it up to celebrate it hits the ground eventually, why is that ok but it's not ok to catch the ball and then put it on the ground? I'm sure there's some gray area in the rules but just purely from a common sense perspective, that is a catch and there shouldn't be any doubt about it IMO.

Very different to the Gibbs one, which was a genuine out-of-control fumble.
The act of making a catch shall start from the time when the ball first comes into contact with a fielder’s person and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control over both the ball and his/her own movement.

Gob

International Coach
The act of making a catch shall start from the time when the ball first comes into contact with a fielder’s person and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control over both the ball and his/her own movement.
So technically Ponting's catch canbe argued as a grassed chance since he was not in full control over his own movement although he had full control over the catch.

Open for interpretation I guess but that was a safe catch in my book