• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
Tbh I think players should claim grassed catches in Test cricket, in the same way I think players shouldn't walk in Test cricket.
Yeah, especially with the way replays are, I've never really been bothered at all by cricketers claiming grassed catches, because sometimes you really do think you've caught it when you haven't. It's such a split second thing and you're rarely looking straight at your hands when you catch it anyway, so you're always guessing a bit, and the replays will tell you what you need to know regardless. At most it's mildly embarrassing, but I definitely get more annoyed at all the "omg cheating!" posts than the claimed catch itself.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, especially with the way replays are, I've never really been bothered at all by cricketers claiming grassed catches, because sometimes you really do think you've caught it when you haven't. It's such a split second thing and you're rarely looking straight at your hands when you catch it anyway, so you're always guessing a bit, and the replays will tell you what you need to know regardless. At most it's mildly embarrassing, but I definitely get more annoyed at all the "omg cheating!" posts than the claimed catch itself.
Yeah, if you're playing park cricket and the unspoken agreement is more or less "if you claim it then it's out", then don't be a ****.

If you can claim it but have the umpire call you a liar and give it not out anyway, then I think you're within your rights to try and get the rub of the green the other way too, in the same way batsmen do with edges.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Omg cheating!

nah I reckon with the replays you can just go to the umpire and say you think you’ve caught it but aren’t sure and send it upstairs, rather than properly appeal like it’s been a regulation take

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You nailed this on the head. Absolutey agreed 100%.

But why did Pant cheat when he claimed that catch?

Spark

Global Moderator
Omg cheating!

nah I reckon with the replays you can just go to the umpire and say you think you’ve caught it but aren’t sure and send it upstairs, rather than properly appeal like it’s been a regulation take
I think he got peer pressured into "claiming" it tbh. Everyone around him behaved as if he caught it so he went along.

Gnske

I think he got peer pressured into "claiming" it tbh. Everyone around him behaved as if he caught it so he went along.
I don't know what's worse, calling it cheating or accusing an individual human being of having no agency or free will.

Taking it a bit far :(

Gnske

Hardly cheating not many people wouldn't claim it.
If I had a chance to get a set batsmen out I know what I would be doing
You would show honour sir and not claim unjust desserts.

The moral decay of some people on this board on full display.

Burgey

It actually did look like that, didn’t it? I now blame cheating Pujara who ran over patting him on the back

TheJediBrah

Never really understood the logic behind people thinking that Ponting catch shouldn't be out. Now admittedly I can't recall the exact wording in the rules but why do you care if he pushes the ball into the ground after he catches it, when it's a comfortable catch that was controlled all the way? As Gob said, he never lost control and fumbled it on to the ground. If you take a catch and throw it up to celebrate it hits the ground eventually, why is that ok but it's not ok to catch the ball and then put it on the ground? I'm sure there's some gray area in the rules but just purely from a common sense perspective, that is a catch and there shouldn't be any doubt about it IMO.

Very different to the Gibbs one, which was a genuine out-of-control fumble.

marcus1232

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
You would show honour sir and not claim unjust desserts.

The moral decay of some people on this board on full display.
Been on the end of a lot of poor decisions so when you get the rub of the green you take it and run it all levels out in the end

Kraken

State Captain
the best was the reaction of (well I'm not exactly sure which Indian player it was), however they were on the camera when it showed the ball hitting the ground, and they celebrated like it was a legal catch lol

Gnske

the best was the reaction of (well I'm not exactly sure which Indian player it was), however they were on the camera when it showed the ball hitting the ground, and they celebrated like it was a legal catch lol
They wouldn't know what an actual catch looks like tbf