• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Aus vs India, Adelaide oval 17th-21st December

Burner

International Regular
I think everyone is overestimating the difficulty of this wicket. 300 is par at minimum here imo. I've seen nothing today to suggest otherwise except for the very slow outfield. Australia were just bang on with the bowling. Will have to see if India can replicate that.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think everyone is overestimating the difficulty of this wicket. 300 is par at minimum here imo. I've seen nothing today to suggest otherwise except for the very slow outfield. Australia were just bang on with the bowling. Will have to see if India can replicate that.
Completely agree! I think Australia could post 400-500.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
^Sure, if Brad Williams and Stuart MacGill are bowling in bright sunshine. This is a spongy wicket and a slow outfield. Turning sharply too (hope Ashwin makes a fifty tomorrow and goes in to bowl with some confidence). Could've lost fewer wickets, but 250 on the first day would be par regardless. Among the Australians, only Smith and Labuschagne are likely to show the level of application needed to stay in. We're in with a chance if we can eke out one of those two for not many or if they decide to reciprocate Rahane's brainfart.

Speaking of which, bad as Rahane selling Kohli down the river was, his hangdog demeanor afterwards was even more alarming from a captain-to-be pov. The ball that got him did not do that much but his head was gone by then.

Kirkut

International Regular
233/6 way better than expected! I was honestly seeing 180 all out but probably the ball didn't do much under lights.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
233/6 way better than expected! I was honestly seeing 180 all out but probably the ball didn't do much under lights.
It did a hell of a lot more than it did under the sun. India in an awkward position now where they'll probably be taking the new ball in the afternoon on days 2 and 3 rather than under lights.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He’s there to bat. He shouldn’t sacrifice wicket for anyone. If he does, or if he isn’t confident that he can score runs for the team, he shouldn’t be in the side.
I think it's more that once he called for the run, he should've committed even after he realised it was a bad call, if he'd bolted immediately he might've made it (probably not but his chances were definitely better than Kohli's).

Shri

Mr. Glass
^Sure, if Brad Williams and Stuart MacGill are bowling in bright sunshine. This is a spongy wicket and a slow outfield. Turning sharply too (hope Ashwin makes a fifty tomorrow and goes in to bowl with some confidence). Could've lost fewer wickets, but 250 on the first day would be par regardless. Among the Australians, only Smith and Labuschagne are likely to show the level of application needed to stay in. We're in with a chance if we can eke out one of those two for not many or if they decide to reciprocate Rahane's brainfart.

Speaking of which, bad as Rahane selling Kohli down the river was, his hangdog demeanor afterwards was even more alarming from a captain-to-be pov. The ball that got him did not do that much but his head was gone by then.
If rohit replaces kohli at 4, he should be captain

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think about 280 ought to be a defendable total. I am worried about the Indian attack, but this is not a terrible position to be in given everything.
the downside to getting to 280 from here for India is the time it will take will mean no new ball tonight under lights. Having said that, they would back their bowlers to do the job in any event.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's more that once he called for the run, he should've committed even after he realised it was a bad call, if he'd bolted immediately he might've made it (probably not but his chances were definitely better than Kohli's).
Maybe with a completely calmed, out of the moment mind, but in the moment at that speed it's really not plausible to have that much clarity. After all, the same muddled brain made him call for a **** run in the first place...can't expect that same error-prone brain to quickly realise he needed to sacrifice himself for the good of his country.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Maybe with a completely calmed, out of the moment mind, but in the moment at that speed it's really not plausible to have that much clarity. After all, the same muddled brain made him call for a **** run in the first place...can't expect that same error-prone brain to quickly realise he needed to sacrifice himself for the good of his country.
Yeah, these two have batted well together for a long time without this kind of mix-up. They implicitly trust each other's judgement which sadly in this case let Kohli down. Also, Kohli put his head down and started sprinting as soon as Rahane called. The speed at which it happened meant by the time Rahane realized his mistake, Kohli was already halfway down the pitch.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haha people are criticising my view that a team batting first should get 400-500 at Adelaide? Wait till Aussies get 450 + batting second.

Stapel

International Regular
He’s there to bat. He shouldn’t sacrifice wicket for anyone. If he does, or if he isn’t confident that he can score runs for the team, he shouldn’t be in the side.
I like that arguement.
What I wonder is this: If you run out your captain, and more importantly the best batsman in the team, will you be able to clear your head? The silly run-out might count for two wickets....

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha people are criticising my view that a team batting first should get 400-500 at Adelaide? Wait till Aussies get 450 + batting second.
New ball will be vital. Burns is a walking wicket, no one knows what Wade will do. Then it's down to Labushagne & Smith. If they get through it, might be a long day. If they don't India well in it