• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

gabbadan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The bookies can legally get access to the team sheets many hours before most of us.
Reason being they want to frame a fair market and CA allows this.
So they know for example if Agar is likely or unlikely to play.
Australia opened at 1.80 best and is now 1.72 worst so he may be playing.
India could have lost a player to cause the betting change also.

aussie tragic

International Captain
The bookies can legally get access to the team sheets many hours before most of us.
I doubt that very much. All cricketers and officials have to immediately report any contact with bookies. Why do you think this?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like the idea of visiting team always getting to choose to bat or bowl first, really.
I don't. It means less crowds on day 1 of tests, which is the biggest revenue day. The majority of people want to see their side bat first unless it's a green top.

gabbadan

I doubt that very much. All cricketers and officials have to immediately report any contact with bookies. Why do you think this?
Betting agencies that bet on the IT with licences have this access to team sheets not old style hoodlum bookies.
The hoodlums have all but vanished since internet betting became established.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So they know for example if Agar is likely or unlikely to play.
Australia opened at 1.80 best and is now 1.72 worst so he may be playing.
India could have lost a player to cause the betting change also.
are teams even required to announce lineups ‘many hours’ before the toss?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They dont have to but unofficially, they may khow within the dressing room. Dunno if the bookies can "legally" be privy to that info. though. I think only one cell phone is allowed per dressing room or something according to ICC rules and it has to be the manager, I think.

gabbadan

In the early days after CA and the ICC gave approval for legal Agencies to gain access to team sheets some coaches played games and withheld information about doubtful players etc.
Neds for example would know if there was genuine doubt and open betting later to find out.
HUGE money is involved in NFL and Baseball in the US and a baseball pitcher has to be named before betting can open for example.

aussie tragic

International Captain
are teams even required to announce lineups ‘many hours’ before the toss?
Exactly, no law says to tell bookies first lol

1.2 Nomination and replacement of players
Each captain shall nominate his/her players in writing to one of the umpires before the toss.

gabbadan

Exactly, no law says to tell bookies first lol

1.2 Nomination and replacement of players
Each captain shall nominate his/her players in writing to one of the umpires before the toss.
Yes they used to hand them to each other.
How this is relevant I fail to see.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Yes they used to hand them to each other.
How this is relevant I fail to see.
It's relevant because you don't finalize your team sheet until just before the toss. Remember McGrath stepped on a ball just before the toss in 2005. No way are they going to finalize their teams hours before the toss to give to bookies.

gabbadan

When McGrath was injured the advice was passed to the agencies within minutes and the odds changed. I remember it well it cost me plenty as I was already on.

Had Kohli been injured this morning the agencies would not have been betting 1.80/2.00 all afternoon so they knew he was playing.
I regret using the term bookies in the first post it has set off old memories.
They are legal Betting Agencies. In Australia there are roughly 11 of them and they exchange information and transactions.