• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I love to **** on Maxwell from time to time but where really going to miss him when he eventually retires, underrated part of our limited overs teams

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You get fta channels through your foxtel box if you have one. You can still just have plain fta tv ask well, but I think Fox is very 2000s now and a lot of ppl just stream everything. We got rid of Fox and haven’t missed it one bit

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah they get dislodged and get loose in the inner ear canals. Apparently it's a common problem following head injuries.
i have been punched in the head/ear a lot but thankfully vertigo isn't one of my problems

Spark

Global Moderator

For the Aussie posters here, any more context or observations on this? Is Pay TV really that expensive in Australia? And are networks like 9 and 7 FTA or part of basic cable?
It's worth noting that Fox now has a dedicated sport streaming service which you can get/stream to your TV in any number of ways, and isn't that expensive, especially if you like the football codes too because it's basically the only way you can watch all the games.

But yeah, our coverage being FTA is something people need to bear in mind when commenting on how... low-brow it has been historically, although Fox doesn't have that excuse.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

For the Aussie posters here, any more context or observations on this? Is Pay TV really that expensive in Australia? And are networks like 9 and 7 FTA or part of basic cable?
Cable tv is quite expensive - around $70/ month for the basic+sports channels.

The sports streaming service is $25/ month and is competing in a streaming market that is pricing at $10-20 per service.

The vast majority of the country sticks to fta and maybe Netflix/Stan/Disney+.

Honestly these days you can get all the decent streaming services for cheaper than you used to be able to get cable tv. The big problem though is that culturally cable tv and paying to watch sport is something only rich people do so there is a huge section of the population who like cricket enough to watch it on tv but not enough to pay for it.

This basically means we're sacrificing the future of our sport for the huge sum of $2 million per year with the recent pay tv deal (and nearly all that extra money went to executive bonuses).

Honestly I hope the deal collapses and CA renegotiate with an fta tv station for the full rights.

gabbadan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Kayo is a great innovation for sports at 25/35month for SD/HD but not UHD. No contracts or installation.
Big problem unlike Foxtel no IQ box for recording games UHD or PS4 playing.
Be good for the game if FTA was a lot more involved in sport.

Starfighter

(and nearly all that extra money went to executive bonuses).
Uh-huh. And why is a non-profit giving its heads bonuses? Something about the destructive effects of the corporatisation of everything...

The whole lot will end up on Fox if C7 pulls out though. The C9/C10 original offer is looking better by the minute.

Daemon

This basically means we're sacrificing the future of our sport for the huge sum of $2 million per year with the recent pay tv deal (and nearly all that extra money went to executive bonuses).
$2m/year? Wasn’t it topping a billion over 5 years or something?

stephen

$2m/year? Wasn’t it topping a billion over 5 years or something?
The two deals:

C10: $960mn over 5 years = $192 mn per annum
C7+Fox: $1182mn over 6 years = $197 mn per annum

So it's actually $5mn per year, which is not insignificant but if you look at it as a marketing cost, you're paying $5mn for a minimum of an extra two million viewers per ODI/t20i. If the next Michael Clarke is watching tennis instead of cricket and falls in love with that instead it costs the game a lot more than the pittance lost on the deal.

The truth is that there executives were given huge bonuses if they secured a deal in excess of $1bn. And that's why it went with the inferior deal.

Spark

Global Moderator
I hate what CA did with the paywalling here, but C7's behaviour has been pretty indefensible here. Trying to bury the WBBL final on a secondary channel to make a point is a shithouse move and, given how low their production costs would have been and how solid the ratings were, makes their complaints of financial hardship wrt the contract very hard to swallow.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The two deals:

So it's actually $5mn per year, which is not insignificant but if you look at it as a marketing cost, you're paying $5mn for a minimum of an extra two million viewers per ODI/t20i. If the next Michael Clarke is watching tennis instead of cricket and falls in love with that instead it costs the game a lot more than the pittance lost on the deal.

The truth is that there executives were given huge bonuses if they secured a deal in excess of $1bn. And that's why it went with the inferior deal.
That is just silly whichever way you look at it. The whole IPL and BCCI deals were actually done in a much better manner and BCCI even explained why they went with Star, given they also have their hotstar streaming platform which at like 1000 Rs. a year at max, is something affordable to most people in India.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I hate what CA did with the paywalling here, but C7's behaviour has been pretty indefensible here. Trying to bury the WBBL final on a secondary channel to make a point is a ****house move and, given how low their production costs would have been and how solid the ratings were, makes their complaints of financial hardship wrt the contract very hard to swallow.
I think most of the guys here do think C7 are to blame almost fully here. If I read this right, I guess they are just angry that CA went into business with these guys in the first place. From whatever I could see from the BBL coverage in Channel 10, they seemed a lot more cricket oriented than the kind of cheerleading I have seen in the name of commentary from post 2000 C9 and whatever crap Fox are doing these last few years. So I definitely understand the anger at CA from that angle.

gabbadan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I prerecorded the WBBL final on ch 7 or so I thought so I could compare the clarity with Foxtel UHD later.
Low trick by 7.

A 4k tv has 4 times denser pixellation and improves markedly both standard and high definition.
HD and UHD come out similar on my set.
They are a reasonable price now and worth the money.
Your computer resolution is 4k of course.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Meanwhile, I'm very happy with my foxtel sports to gives me all the NFL, F1 and cricket, including the Aus A game vs India live on Sunday

Daemon

The two deals:

**** me that’s dumb

Daemon

"In the second match, I was just like - look at the ball and react. It's very easy to do that, rather than think what the bowler is bowling. You can actually predict, once you are set, what the bowler is going to bowl, so I usually give myself time at the start and that's what I applied in the second match and it really worked out well."

I admire his self belief but he really was all at sea against the bouncers. Was just lucky Finch started bowling Zampa and Maxwell at him in tandem.