• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Dhoni greatest OdI cricketer off all-time

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Comparing across disciplines is hard. He's arguably the best keeper-bat, finisher and captain in ODIs so top 10 for sure.

In no particular order:

Viv, Sachin, Akram, Murali, McGrath, Garner, Bevan، De Villiers, Dhoni, Kohli

Probably

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
He's absolutely up there. Instinctively I think I'd still have him below Viv and Sachin but perhaps no one else.

(Side note: is it bad that I enjoyed Uppercut's pugnacious but highly unsuccessful 'Thread closed!' mic drop on page one of this thread?)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Is Dhoni definitely ahead of Gilchrist as the keeper in an all-time XI? I know Dhoni's 91* off 79 was a great knock in 2011 but Gilchrist played 3 amazing knocks in the 1999, 03, and 07 finals (54* off 36, 57 off 48, and 149 off 104). 260 runs at an average of 130 and strike rate of 131. That's absolutely insane in 3 consecutive finals.

Also Jos Buttler might struggle at test level, but he's still only 29 and might also get that spot in all time XI if he has another quality 5 or 6 years of ODI cricket.

Bolo.

International Captain
Dhoni (along with Pollock) has a real case for being the best. For every other player there is someone who played a similar role, but arguably did it better.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Bumrah has tremendous reverse era adjustment potential as well. PFK should better start on that work soon.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Dhoni (along with Pollock) has a real case for being the best. For every other player there is someone who played a similar role, but arguably did it better.
Sachin - unquestionably greatest opener

Pollock can be replaced with Kapil / Imran / Hadlee

Glichrist - no better WK Opener

smash84

The Tiger King
Is Dhoni definitely ahead of Gilchrist as the keeper in an all-time XI? I know Dhoni's 91* off 79 was a great knock in 2011 but Gilchrist played 3 amazing knocks in the 1999, 03, and 07 finals (54* off 36, 57 off 48, and 149 off 104). 260 runs at an average of 130 and strike rate of 131. That's absolutely insane in 3 consecutive finals.
The 99 final was already lost thanks to Pak's brilliant batting and setting up barely 130 to chase.

The 2003 final was a good innings from him but it was really Ponting and Martyn who took the game away from India.

2007 is the final where he played a standout innings.

trundler

Sachin - unquestionably greatest opener

Pollock can be replaced with Kapil / Imran / Hadlee

Glichrist - no better WK Opener
Most great all rounders have different roles especially if we're separating WKs by batting position. Only Hadlee among those has a comparale role to Pollock but unfortunately he played too early to really tell how good he was. Imran was more comparable to Flintoff. Kapil could be replaced by Cairns or Faulkner.

smash84

The Tiger King
Most great all rounders have different roles especially if we're separating WKs by batting position. Only Hadlee among those has a comparale role to Pollock but unfortunately he played too early to really tell how good he was. Imran was more comparable to Flintoff. Kapil could be replaced by Cairns or Faulkner.
How was Imran comparable to Flintoff?

trundler

How was Imran comparable to Flintoff?
Batted in the middle order while being his country's best bowler. Different batting and bowling styles tho.

105/151 at 5-6 for Imran. 89/122 for Flintoff. Both took over a wicket per match and usually bowled their quota. Not many others I can think of who did that.

smash84

The Tiger King
Batted in the middle order while being his country's best bowler. Different batting and bowling styles tho.

105/151 at 5-6 for Imran. 89/122 for Flintoff. Both took over a wicket per match and usually bowled their quota. Not many others I can think of who did that.
Can't recall both of them being too similar (just basing it off memory).

Imran was the main strike bowler and spearhead for the team, while Flintoff was more of a containment and "keep em tidy" type of a bowler, as opposed to someone like Darren Gough who would be the main strike bowler (and the best bowler in the team).

Both batted in the middle order, yes, but not sure how similar their roles in the team were. Would probably have to look at Flintoff's career again to remind myself.

Daemon

Dhoni's not definitively ahead of Gilchrist in an all time XI, but it's got nothing to do with WC finals. For all the good Gilchrist did in the finals he wouldn't have played in them if he wasn't carried there by his team.

Besides it's just too small a sample size unless you're Burgey.