• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Records and Milestones thread

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The second longest unbroken string of defeats in a country I can find is Bangladesh.... in Bangladesh lmao. That was 13 tests so this is apparently a new record.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Ian Chappell had called that Pakistan shouldn't be playing a test in Australia till they improve. While that is harsh, what do CWers think Pakistan needs to do to improve down under ?

What is pretty obvious is that they have a lot of oldies and lot of newcomers. Not too many players in their mid and late twenties (supposedly prime period if you are in mid career and established).
Also the fitness levels of players seem to be less than some of the top teams going around. Fast bowlers do not sustain pace or energy through their bowling spells.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's pretty pre-emptive but what's the most consecutive 150+ scores in a row?

Warner and Labuschagne both a chance next test at getting 3 on the trot

mr_mister

Yeah it appears in 2007 he had 4 tests in a row where he passed 150, but not in consecutive innings. However in all 6 innings of those 4 tests he passed 50. Pretty crazy

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Argentina and Belize are the best cricket nations on planet. Have won every international match they have played so far.

aussie tragic

International Captain
It's pretty pre-emptive but what's the most consecutive 150+ scores in a row?

Warner and Labuschagne both a chance next test at getting 3 on the trot
Pffft, that's nothing, Border did it twice in the same match ;)

Zaheer Abbas scored 215, 186 and 168 in consecutive innings in the 3 Tests vs India 1982/83 (only batted once in each test)

Mudassar Nazar scored 231, 152* and 152 vs India 1983

Last edited:

Starfighter

Pakistan's series bowling average was 89.69, exceeding their previous worst of 72.89 against Sri Lanka in 2009.

ataraxia

International Coach
These are sad stats. We need stats about Yasir as well (highest economy record for something or other, and of course the batting).

stephen

To equal the "fastest to x000" milestones, Smith needs:
8000 runs - 26 innings @ 38.5 rpi
9000 runs - 46 innings @ 43.5 rpi
10000 runs - 69 innings @ 43.5 rpi
11000 runs - 82 innings @ 48.8 rpi
12000 runs - 98 innings @ 51 rpi
13000 runs - 140 innings @ 42.9 rpi

So the 8k mark should be relatively easy, but thanks to Sangakkara's late career acceleration, every milestone up to 12k runs gets progressively harder. Smith has played 126 innings so far. If he gets to 13k he could meander there by scoring 6000 runs in the same time he's scored his last 7000 and he'd beat the record by 14 innings.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Really needs to play against bowling line ups that can get 2 wickets before they reach 300. Otherwise, his average can go downhill very quickly. :p

Coronis

International Coach
To equal the "fastest to x000" milestones, Smith needs:
8000 runs - 26 innings @ 38.5 rpi
9000 runs - 46 innings @ 43.5 rpi
10000 runs - 69 innings @ 43.5 rpi
11000 runs - 82 innings @ 48.8 rpi
12000 runs - 98 innings @ 51 rpi
13000 runs - 140 innings @ 42.9 rpi

So the 8k mark should be relatively easy, but thanks to Sangakkara's late career acceleration, every milestone up to 12k runs gets progressively harder. Smith has played 126 innings so far. If he gets to 13k he could meander there by scoring 6000 runs in the same time he's scored his last 7000 and he'd beat the record by 14 innings.
God Sanga I feel is chronically underappreciated. (by myself at times too). From when he gave up the gloves to focus on batting. Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

7944 runs @ 65.65 with 29 centuries in just 74 matches.

Only really struggled in South Africa and (oddly) the West Indies.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
The race is on for who will overtake Greg Chappell to become the 10th most prolific Aussie batsman.

Chappell has 7110 runs, so Smith (7023) needs 98 runs, while Warner (6943) needs 168 runs.

Smith is in a massive form slump where he is now at risk of losing his record of being the only batsman to never go more than 2 tests without a 50, so I've got my money on Smith to go big next test ;)

stephen

The race is on for who will overtake Greg Chappell to become the 10th most prolific Aussie batsman.

Chappell has 7110 runs, so Smith (7023) needs 98 runs, while Warner (6943) needs 168 runs.

Smith is in a massive form slump where he is now at risk of losing his record of being the only batsman to never go more than 2 tests without a 50, so I've got my money on Smith to go big next test ;)
He didn't score a 50 against Pakistan.

aussie tragic

International Captain
He didn't score a 50 against Pakistan.
That's right. The record is never more than 2 tests without a 50, so 3 tests without a 50 would have him lose his current record.

He would then be equal with Don Bradman of never going more than 3 tests without a 50.

stephen

I was surprised to learn that Smith was never a clear second on the list of "innings to reach x000 runs" for any value of x. The closest he came was coming equal second with Sobers for 6000 runs.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I was surprised to learn that Smith was never a clear second on the list of "innings to reach x000 runs" for any value of x. The closest he came was coming equal second with Sobers for 6000 runs.
Playing at 4 or 5 for a strong team like Australia would have played a part, like we saw in the recent series.