• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Records and Milestones thread

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'd say WI became world beaters right after that series. After that series, they only lost in india with a second wi xi and away to NZ. Those two series aside, wi won against all comers post 75-76.
Yes because WSC occurred from 77. WI peak started 79/80 when they thrashed the Aussie full strength side that happened to thrash England during the lop-sided 79/80 summer.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
WI streak couldve ended halfway through in 87 when they almost lost to Pakistan
Australia also nearly lost to India in 2003/04. 2 epic sub continental triumphs missed for India and Pakistan. Some key players from both ATG teams were missing part or full of these 2 series.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia also nearly lost to India in 2003/04. 2 epic sub continental triumphs missed for India and Pakistan. Some key players from both ATG teams were missing part or full of these 2 series.
Th pakistan miss was waaayyyy closer. Took a miracle jammy 9th wicket stand for WI to squeak away with a drawn series. Although Pak drew the second test with one wicket left too. Probably one of the great series for which very little footage exists.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Was it in Pak? But yeah, the mid 80s Pak team was just peak Pak. Enormous enormous talent that was only matched by enormous enormous egos and infighting. I always wonder if someone could have gotten them actually together, how well they would have gone.

Slifer

International Captain
Th pakistan miss was waaayyyy closer. Took a miracle jammy 9th wicket stand for WI to squeak away with a drawn series. Although Pak drew the second test with one wicket left too. Probably one of the great series for which very little footage exists.
The 1990 clash in Pakistan imo had the best collection of bowlers you'll ever see in a single test. On one hand wi had : marshall, Ambrose, Bishop (pre injury) and Walsh vs imran , wasim, waqar, mustaq and qadir. I believe these were the attacks for the first and 2nd tests.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Thread very quiet considering Smith just became the fastest ever batsman to 7000 test runs and Warner just hit the 2nd highest test score for an Aussie with his 335*

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Thread very quiet considering Smith just became the fastest ever batsman to 7000 test runs and Warner just hit the 2nd highest test score for an Aussie with his 335*
Most of the Indian posters who frequent here would be loathe to comment on Australian achievements. h.hurricaine spends most of his time in here trying to discredit any Aust achievement.

Red

Word is last night they'd decided to declare at 5.40pm, but Paine gave Warner an extra few minutes to go past Taylor and Bradman's 334s.

I get that cricket's a team game blah blah but I wish they'd given Warner another hour or so to have a full blown tilt at Lara's 400. The entertainment factor alone would have been immense, and the fact is that we can't lose the series or the test, and even considering the weather we still would have had three and a half days to bowl them out.

I know they made the "right" decision, but it would have been good to see.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Most of the Indian posters who frequent here would be loathe to comment on Australian achievements. h.hurricaine spends most of his time in here trying to discredit any Aust achievement.
Your posting has gone downhill very quickly.

Red

Your posting has gone downhill very quickly.
Happy to quote all the posts where he dismisses Aust achievements if you like, but they’re all there to see on the last 2 pages.

srbhkshk

International Captain
lol what? When did it become the Indian posters responsibility to bring up every stat in here, stop being lazy ****s and post the stats you like yourself.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Played in modern times "easily"?? Lol. A great Australian team drew with the wi in 99 when all WI had was Ambrose, Walsh and Lara. Played in 70s/80s conditions, it would be a no brainer. And people can say all they want about Warne but he never really dominated even the ordinary WI teams of his times, idk how he'd be expected to do better vs an even stronger team (especially in the WI). I've said this before, played in Australia under modern conditions Australia would probably win 3-2, in the WI under 80s conditions WI would win 3-1 probably drawing at the ARG or Bourda.
Yes easily. The West Indies were often so far behind their over rate when bowling because they didn't have a decent spinner. In the 70s/80s that wasn't an issue. It is today.

If we're picking a peak Aussie side we have a bunch of batsmen who were excellent vs pace. Hayden/ Langer/Ponting/ Martyn/ Waugh/Hussey/Gilchrist is a better batting side than Greenidge/Haynes/ Lara/Richards/Richardson/Lloyd/Dujon.

Sure, the West Indies had the better pace attack but Australia's wasn't that far behind.

Last edited:

stephen

Played in conditions where over rate doesn't matter would make the series a coin flip though.

Red

Still no defence of your poor posting of late.
Sick of the constant chipping away of Australian records and legacies by a bloc of Indian posters so I’m gonna call it as I see it. How’s that sound?

Slifer

International Captain
Played in conditions where over rate doesn't matter would make the series a coin flip though.
No it wouldn't be a coin flip. Wi would annihilate oz in the wi and probably win or draw down under. Australia couldn't deal with Steve harmless and co, no way they'd survive vs the the 4 horsemen. As a matter of fact, even after Australia became the undisputed best team in 95, series between wi and oz were always close run affairs until Ambrose retired in '00.

stephen

Yeah. That was an epic series, mostly because Australia's bowling attack was completely garbage due to injury. But it created the greatest comeback win I'd seen until that point.

Slifer

International Captain
Yes easily. The West Indies were often so far behind their over rate when bowling because they didn't have a decent spinner. In the 70s/80s that wasn't an issue. It is today.

If we're picking a peak Aussie side we have a bunch of batsmen who were excellent vs pace. Hayden/ Langer/Ponting/ Martyn/ Waugh/Hussey/Gilchrist is a better batting side than Greenidge/Haynes/ Lara/Richards/Richardson/Lloyd/Dujon.

Sure, the West Indies had the better pace attack but Australia's wasn't that far behind.
The over rate argument is moot because that rule was instituted in the 90s and even then, where oz was the clearly superior team they still edged series vs the wi (never dominated). And this too vs far lesser wi teams. Also, I don't believe in picking peak or what if teams in this scenario. I prefer teams that actually played together:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Waugh
Waugh *
Martyn
Gilchrist +
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

Vs

Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Richards
Gomes
Lloyd*
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Walsh

Oz clearly has the better batting but lol I'd like to see Hayden advance down the wicket to the likes of Garner. Worst yet if they were playing in the 80s without helmets or bouncer restrictions. Most of the oz team would get killed (old perth/sabina wicket).

Ps you really need to give this crap of "easily" better a rest. Nobody seriously thinks that but you.

stephen

No it wouldn't be a coin flip. Wi would annihilate oz in the wi and probably win or draw down under. Australia couldn't deal with Steve harmless and co, no way they'd survive vs the the 4 horsemen. As a matter of fact, even after Australia became the undisputed best team in 95, series between wi and oz were always close run affairs until Ambrose retired in '00.
Need I remind you that Australia won in 95 in the West Indies? The West Indies had Lara and Richardson, Ambrose and Walsh. Four of the guys who would be in the 75-95 side. Australia only had Waugh, Warne and McGrath. Better batsmen would come along later for Australia.

The over rate thing would be a massive challenge for the West Indies to overcome. They would probably be forced to pick Harper or Hooper and bowl them for 20+ overs a day to get through the overs in time.

But even without that it would be competitive between the sides in both Australia and the West Indies.