• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Records and Milestones thread

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
S Waugh
Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
Lee
McGrath

vs

Rohit
Agarwal
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Jadeja
Saha
Ashwin
Ishant
Shami
Bumrah

Bit of a gulf in class, ain't there?
Read a post recently that Steve Smith is the only batsman to not pass 2 tests without a fifty while even Bradman had no fifties in 3 tests. Doesn't mean the poster is saying Steve Smith is better than Bradman.

ataraxia

International Coach
Read a post recently that Steve Smith is the only batsman to not pass 2 tests without a fifty while even Bradman had no fifties in 3 tests. Doesn't mean the poster is saying Steve Smith is better than Bradman.
I wasn't responding to you; I was just comparing the sides.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't responding to you; I was just comparing the sides.
Aah ok. In that case, my few cents. It is quite early to compare this side to great sides of the past. The Indian team right now is functioning more as sum of the parts, some really good working parts. If they can build credibility and the same level of superiority over the next 10 years, then I think yes, we can compare them to those sides at that time. But it is going to take a lot of work.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha that Aussie side got 3 innings wins and one nine wickets win in those 4 tests. So damn close :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Also innings wins are harder to achieve if you bat first in hot conditions. So there are any number of disclaimers but the fact is, there are disclaimers and context for every record. And yet record holders are remembered. It's the same here.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it was an absolute piece of luck that we ended up bowling first both times against BD. If we had batted first even once, I don't think Virat would have enforced follow-on considering the fast bowlers' workload.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He did it twice against SA when we played 5 man attacks. He didn't against WI when we had a 300 run lead in the 2nd Test and played 4 bowlers. So that's probably his thinking.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
NO, I mean if he felt the workload was more on the fast bowlers he won't have enforced it. And doing two tests of 20 wickets bowling back to back will take a lot of any attack realy.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Rohan Kanhai has the record of two test cricketers (Sunil Gavaskar and Bob Holland) naming their sons after him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I just don't see how it was relevant to the conversation
Because you're Australian so clearly that shows that your comment was based in bias rather than actually making a legitimate point (which FWIW you did).

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Don Bradman (6996 in 52) and Steve Smith (6977 in 69) are the only 2 batsmen to average more than 100 runs per test (min 5000 runs)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Because you're Australian so clearly that shows that your comment was based in bias rather than actually making a legitimate point (which FWIW you did).
Not sure why you wish to incite angst on a dead discussion where everyone involved including MM have made peace already.