• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Yep, need to drop Hazlewood so that we have an awesome tail that never seems able to click together and produce a 100 runs ;)
Not saying drop Hazlewood, I’m saying that there’s no need for an all rounder on top of these guys. Add Hazlewood and Lyon sure, however they’re not in the batting discussion so much.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If we are playing Cummins, Hazelwood and Starc/Pattinson/Richardson, plus Lyon, and with Labuschagne in the side, we don't need an all rounder. I hope the selectors adopt this policy.

Only play quicks who are 100% fit going in.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fmd we are blessed for bowlers atm.

The big bonus is Haze at something approaching his best. Was epic in the Ashes after a flat home summer. Copes on the radio this morning saying Haze’s spell vs SA was intimidating even from first slip. I think he might properly carve it up this season.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Cummins to be rested from the next T20, the plan is for him to play the NSW v WA Shield game next Monday. Right call I reckon, needs a run with the red ball before the Tests start

The Battlers Prince

If we are playing Cummins, Hazelwood and Starc/Pattinson/Richardson, plus Lyon, and with Labuschagne in the side, we don't need an all rounder. I hope the selectors adopt this policy.

Only play quicks who are 100% fit going in.
I rate Labuschagne’s leggies, but on a flat MCG I think an extra seamer might be something they look at. Not saying I agree but possible

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely Stoinis is putting his hand up at the moment. Bowling well at the moment
Stoinis has only ever been vaguely in Test contention based on his international white ball exploits, and given he just had an awful World Cup and got dropped from the T20 side, three solid-but-unspectacular Shield outings really shouldn't propel him into the frame suddenly.

He's always been a bit of a golden child though so who knows. It'd be frustrating though; I'd sooner recall ****ing Moises. The bloke hasn't made a First Class ton since 2015 and he's never taken a five wicket haul. If he dominated ODIs then I could see why the selectors would forgive that but he's been having a mare in those as well.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I would genuinely rather Marsh (of the Mitch variety) over Stoinis at Test level and it isn't even especially close. Don't rate either as Test standard with the willow but as a bowler I prefer Marsh by a loooooooong way

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I've always been extremely anti-Stoinis for Tests but when he was doing well in ODIs I could see why people with different philosophies might reasonably disagree. If you disagree now after his ODI reversion-to-the-mean then your philosophy is just crap IMO. A couple of 60s and three wicket hauls should not get someone who has been a traditionally meh at best Shield player into Test contention, and obviously neither should getting dropped from white ball cricket.

If they decided to pick a seam bowling allrounder first and decided which one to pick second then both Green and Moises should be ahead of him, let alone Mitch Marsh if he's fit who should be comfortably ahead. And when Mitch Marsh is clearly better than you as a Test option you're really struggling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really wouldn't even consider Moises an allrounder anymore tbh
Yeah he doesn't bowl bulk overs but he's clearly a better batsman and it'd be good way to skirt the issue of picking "an allrounder" in a side with arguably the best bowling attack in the world but a struggling batting lineup, especially since he still bowls pretty good stuff when he rolls the arm over.

If the concern in Melbourne is workload more than anything else -- and that's fair -- then Moises still bowls tight stuff. He bowls less more so he doesn't break in between games more than anything else, and if they're just picking him for the MCG game I suspect neither the selectors nor Moises himself would mind too much if he had to have two weeks off afterwards.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
See your point, he still can be capable of picking a couple of handy poles when he does actually bowl, but his lack of workload with the does definitely put me off the idea to an extent.

On a different but semi related note I hope Marnus keeps working on his legspin and doesn't put it on the backburner, it just adds extra flexibility to the attack. Smith on the other hand really couldn't care less about whether he keeps on bowling or not

Red

Who in Australia could conceivably bat at #6 and bowl a decent quota of medium/quick?

Marsh
Stoinis
Henriques
Cartwright

A few years ago I thought Cartwright looked the goods, but in all honesty if they just want 5-10 jammy overs a day, throw the ball to Matty Wade.

The Battlers Prince

Don’t get me wrong I’m hoping they don’t pick any of our wick allrounders, I just get used to the selectors (mostly Hohns) letting me down.

Red

How about bat at 7 with Wade or more likely Carey keeping and batting at 6.

Neser
Pattinson
Green (too early but maybe when Carey is in)
I'm not 100% convinced that Patto could hold down #7, but it'd be epic if he could do that, and be used as a pure strike bowler. It's more doable when you consider that Cummins and Starc are both also good bats.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't fathom how anyone could actually think getting 10ish overs out of Wade is a realistic option, I know his meme bowling can be fun to watch sometimes but let's be serious here, it just isn't viable or practical in the slightest

I almost rated Mike Hussey higher as a troll med bowler ffs