• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean for an automated algorithm it did a pretty good job but there are definitely some anomalies on that list.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harris would be considered the australian Zaheer khan if he'd been picked earlier in his career. Dude would've averaged 35 for a decade and ended up with 250 wickets @ 30. Ridiculously overrated.

stephen

Ryan Harris played 27 Tests while Walsh played 131 Tests.
That's my point. At some point longevity comes into play. Walsh played a lot more tests than Harris and is therefore rated more highly on most all time lists than other bowlers who played for less time but were better. The strongest argument is Bishop. He was Walsh's contemporary and a better bowler than him but most people place Walsh higher on their lists.

TheJediBrah

If Harris was picked earlier in his career he'd have been lucky to average below 50 in Tests. He was barely First class standard. Not really relevant though IMO

stephen

If Harris was picked earlier in his career he'd have been lucky to average below 50 in Tests. He was barely First class standard. Not really relevant though IMO
Yeah he was petty ordinary down in SA where they were trying to make him a passable all rounder. He only got gud once he came to Queensland and learned how to bowl quick.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Spiced rum sounds good. But yeah Walsh is not an atg. Never said that. He certainly wouldn't be in a WI first XI, much less a world XI. If he were say from NZ or India he might possibly be in their XI. He's still a great though which imo is above the very goods like: Gillespie, Vaas, Botham, Johnson etc.
He'd walk into the New Zealand XI but at least you'd have an argument I suppose.
"He might possibly be in their [India] XI"? What? There's no possibly about it.

vcs

Harris would be considered the australian Zaheer khan if he'd been picked earlier in his career. Dude would've averaged 35 for a decade and ended up with 250 wickets @ 30. Ridiculously overrated.
Yep, people are being so glib about the value of longevity, especially for a fast bowler.

Walsh/Anderson >>> Ryan Harris

TheJediBrah

Yep, people are being so glib about the value of longevity, especially for a fast bowler.

Walsh/Anderson >>> Ryan Harris
Not saying I disagree, but that is purely subjective. If someone decides to rate someone who was only good for a couple of years as the best bowler ever because they were legitimately that good for a short period of time then there's nothing wrong with that opinion.

vcs

Yeah, it's an opinion, and obviously no opinion on a subjective matter such as this is objectively wrong.

It has about as much worth as Burgey's theory about "WC Finals are the only ODIs that count" though.

trundler

Longevity arguments are just used to claim Sachin > Bradman mainly

:ph34r:
You may not be suggesting this but the idea that Sachin only has longevity to brag about compared to other great batsmen is a chimp-brained take that needs to die out quickly.

Logan

U19 Captain
Bradman is too good to be compared to anyone.

What does longevity mean? Years or matches?

Cook played 161 Tests in 12 years.

Chanderpaul played 164 Tests in 21 years.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not saying I disagree, but that is purely subjective. If someone decides to rate someone who was only good for a couple of years as the best bowler ever because they were legitimately that good for a short period of time then there's nothing wrong with that opinion.
Yeah, but based on that if anyone suggested Waqar > McGrath, expect an epic meltdown.

EDIT: I mean a suggestion that even Imran is good replacement for McGrath in an ATGI XI even as an overall package causes lot of heartache on here.

Last edited:

Logan

U19 Captain
I mean a suggestion that even Imran is good replacement for McGrath in an ATGI XI even as an overall package causes lot of heartache on here.

Glen McGrath is a Top 5 bowler of all time IMO.

Imran Khan is a Top 10 bowler of all time IMO, a decent batsman and arguably the greatest captain of all time.

My ATG team has three pure bowlers(Marshall, Steyn and Murali) and two bowling all rounders(Imran and Hadlee).

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
courtney walsh is an atg

james anderson is an atvg

ryan harris bowled at an atg level over a short career. he suffers in career analysis but when looking at individual matches he had the impact you would expect from any 10 year career atg bowler.

TheJediBrah

Glen McGrath is a Top 5 bowler of all time IMO.

Imran Khan is a Top 10 bowler of all time IMO, a decent batsman and arguably the greatest captain of all time.

My ATG team has three pure bowlers(Marshall, Steyn and Murali) and two bowling all rounders(Imran and Hadlee).
ok