• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

aussie tragic

International Captain
Burns and Khawaja would do a fine job for the home summer as openers, just wouldn't want to take them on our next overseas tours, but we'd be stuck with them if they play all summer and average 50 each which they probably would.
So you really rate Pakistan and New Zealand then lol

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Anyone else a little concerned that they might be able to easily work out labuschagne from now on?
The idea that Australia unearthed a “gem in the rough” in Labuschagne is a bit far-fetched, tbh. His Ashes stats are also a bit flattering since he had 5 lives at Headingley.

On the flip side, he is a consummate professional and has an amazing work ethic that hopeful rubs off on other players in the squad.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I'm not yet 100% convinced that this is more than a decent patch of form for Labuschagne. I'd like to see him make some consistent shield runs at some point, though if he keeps scoring decently at international level that's fine too.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Should have been over years ago. I think he's taken 4 wickets in an innings once in last 4-5 years but still seems to pop up regularly.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
4 fifties and a 48 from 7 digs can't be scoffed at

I'm confident Labbers is the real deal tbh

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should have been over years ago. I think he's taken 4 wickets in an innings once in last 4-5 years but still seems to pop up regularly.
That Oval game in 15 gave him a lot of credit in the bank. Apart from that he's been mediocre at best in pretty much every game he's played since the 13/14 Ashes.

EDIT: Just checked the stats, since the 13/14 Ashes he's averaged 40. No 5-fers and his only 4-fer was his afformentioned Oval 15 match. His ER has remained sound but his ability to take wickets has been poor (38 wickets in the timeframe from 16 matches - just over a wicket an innings)

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
4 fifties and a 48 from 7 digs can't be scoffed at

I'm confident Labbers is the real deal tbh
I'm not. This summer will tell us a lot. If he doesn't average 40+ this season I don't think he's in our best XI.

edit: though he's probably a better away player than a lot of guys who will average 50 at home

aussie tragic

International Captain
I really like the use of a 'Depth Chart' in NFL so thought I'd come up with an initial 'Test Depth Chart' here (ranked by last picked for Australian red ball side in previous 12 months)

Openers
1. Warner 2. Harris 3. Bancroft 4. Burns 5. Finch 6. Khawaja

Batsman (3-6)
1. Smith 2. Labuschagne 3. Wade 4. Head 5. Khawaja 6. Patterson 7. Handscomb 8. Pucovski 9. S. Marsh

Allrounders (bats 6-7)
1. M. Marsh

Keeper
1. Paine 2. Carey 3. Wade

Pace Bowlers
1. Cummins 2. Hazlewood 3. Siddle 4. Starc 5. Pattinson 6. Richardson 7. Neser 8. Bird 9. Tremain

Spinner
1. Lyon 2. Holland

First thing I'd do is move Burns and Patterson up and swap Siddle with Richardson.

Edit: forgot S. Marsh and added Tremain and Bird from Aussie A tour, as well as Wade kept in tour game.

Last edited:

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
I really like the use of a 'Depth Chart' in NFL so thought I'd come up with an Initial 25 player 'Depth Chart' here (ranked by last test played where applicable)

Openers
1. Warner 2. Harris 3. Bancroft 4. Burns 5. Khawaja

Batsman (3-6)
1. Smith 2. Labuschagne 3. Wade 4. Head 5. Khawaja 6. Patterson 7. Handscomb 8. Pucovski

Allrounders (bats 6-7)
1. Marsh

Keeper
1. Paine 2. Carey

Pace Bowlers
1. Cummins 2. Hazlewood 3. Siddle 4. Starc 5. Pattinson 6. Richardson 7. Neser

Spinner
1. Lyon 2. Holland

First thing I'd do is move Burns and Patterson up and swap Siddle with Richardson.
Great idea. You should continue to manage this project throughout the year, especially after Shield starts.

Observations:
1. Stating the obvious, opening batting looks a shambles atm.
2. There's a lot riding on Patterson and Pucovski being able to leapfrog Wade..
3. If I were Neser, I would be looking to improve my batting asap.
4. Suddenly the spin bowling ranks looks really sparse.

EDIT: I just looked up Neser's age. Okay so he is unlikely to improve his batting.

Last edited:

Farkspark

Banned
Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
S.Marsh / Patterson
Carey / Wade ( keeper)
M.Marsh
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood

Starc / Richardson ( extra bowlers)
Head / Pucowski ( extra bats)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd be happy to see Labuschagne slip down the order to #5 in the longer term is Patterson or Pukovski can make it at #3. Seems a better fit.

Red

One of my bigger disappointments is that Kurt Patterson wasn't in the Ashes squad. Would have liked to have seen him over there, and I think he would've had some success.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
One of my bigger disappointments is that Kurt Patterson wasn't in the Ashes squad. Would have liked to have seen him over there, and I think he would've had some success.
Were his lead-up scores so bad? Are Australian selectors putting too much stock in one-off performances at lower levels of cricket? This seems to be a mentality which has seeped into selector's thinking after they were bundled out for 85 in Hobart against South Africa. And guess what? Renshaw, Handscomb, Maddinson and Wade and whoever else benefited from performing in one round of Shield were all out of Test cricket within 12 months, never to return*.

*Wade returned in a different role.

Red

Were his lead-up scores so bad? Are Australian selectors putting too much stock in one-off performances at lower levels of cricket? This seems to be a mentality which has seeped into selector's thinking after they were bundled out for 85 in Hobart against South Africa. And guess what? Renshaw, Handscomb, Maddinson and Wade and whoever else benefited from performing in one round of Shield were all out of Test cricket within 12 months, never to return*.

*Wade returned in a different role.
He didn't do much in the lead up FC games or in the Haddin vs Hick XI thing tbf. His game just looks a class about Bancroft, Harris and Head imo.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So now that we have a Shield break, whats everyone XI for the first Test? Im most interested in the top 6 - personally hope we dont have 4+ 30 year olds in our top 6, especially as Paine is over that age too. I know quotas are bs and picking the best team to win, but I want to see a few more young guys alongside Marnus.