• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
looks like Travis Head will get to use his head to read a book for the next few days because he's dropped

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I'm amazed Wade has been kept in - if a batsman had to be dropped - after that 1st innings dismissal in the last Test.

It feels like that Wade is part of the clique within the Oz side in recent years - not only this but how the leadership sides with him against Maxwell and how he was brought back in the 16/17 summer for his 'attitude' as opposed to being a superior keeper/batsman to Nevill.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So there have been 4 vice captains named since Paine took over as captain.

Only Cummins left as Marsh, Hazlewood and now Head fall by the wayside....unless Cummins gets rested and then we have no VC for 5th test lol

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Head should come back in come the home summer I think. Didn't look totally rubbish and has got way more upside than Wade in terms of age. With some moderate opposition coming over its a good chance to establish a settled lineup. Batting order for the GABBA should be something like:

Burns
Harris / Bancroft (depending on early Shield rounds)
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Patterson

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Head should come back in come the home summer I think. Didn't look totally rubbish and has got way more upside than Wade in terms of age. With some moderate opposition coming over its a good chance to establish a settled lineup. Batting order for the GABBA should be something like:

Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Patterson
You're absolutely correct and yet of those listed only three are in the current team. The selectors have rocks in their head. Which I guess is why they put Head on the rocks.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder how much influence Smith has had over the selection process. All the most boneheaded selections seemed to come on his watch, based on his call. He definitely likes Wade and the decision to drop Head instead of Wade may have been a Smith thing. Remember that Head was also dropped from the ODI side a year or so ago despite him putting up good numbers and bowling well.

Just a thought at this stage, this smells more of a Langer move but it's worth considering.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is literally because they want a RHer in there isn't there and Wade scored a century

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think they just want some bowling relief dont they? They dont wanna rest Cummins cos they wanna win, but they also dont want him to have to bowl bulk overs and keel over

TheJediBrah

I'm amazed Wade has been kept in - if a batsman had to be dropped - after that 1st innings dismissal in the last Test.

It feels like that Wade is part of the clique within the Oz side in recent years - not only this but how the leadership sides with him against Maxwell and how he was brought back in the 16/17 summer for his 'attitude' as opposed to being a superior keeper/batsman to Nevill.
I said this at the time, Head's dismissal that innings was a lot more worrying than Wade's.

Burgey

Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Patterson
I wouldn’t call NZ moderate btw. Pakistan will
Be hapless as always out here but NZ will be a tough series imo.

Also think Warner should and will be retained for Brisbane over Harris/ Bancroft but otherwise don’t disagree with that line up.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Head should come back in come the home summer I think. Didn't look totally rubbish and has got way more upside than Wade in terms of age. With some moderate opposition coming over its a good chance to establish a settled lineup
Modrate opposition?

NZ is the ICC #2 ranked test side with 3 batsmen and 2 bowlers in the respective top 8. Plus NZ would each give their left nut to beat Australia at home...

Funny how Australia have 4 batsmen in the ICC top 30, however Warner (17), Khawaja (25) and Head (30) may not even be playing, leaving Labuschagne (36) as the 2nd best ranked Aussie batsman...who saw that 12 months ago lol

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I said in the 5th test thread but now our top 6 has 3 bats who average in their 20s for their career.

Khawaja and Head dropped for underperforming in this bowler dominated series by averaging in the 20s.

TheJediBrah

Modrate opposition?

NZ is the ICC #2 ranked test side with 3 batsmen and 2 bowlers in the respective top 8. Plus NZ would each give their left nut to beat Australia at home...
Shows what we already know, what a joke the rankings are. NZ will fight their best of course but hardly be competitive unless we serve up greentops.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
This is literally because they want a RHer in there isn't there and Wade scored a century
If being right handed seriously counts in his favor that is staggeringly bad logic. Can't get much more tenuous than that.

The sooner Hohns is given his marching orders the better.

TheJediBrah

If being right handed seriously counts in his favor that is staggeringly bad logic. Can't get much more tenuous than that.

The sooner Hohns is given his marching orders the better.
Dunno tbh, the way Broad's been bowling to left-handers it might not be as dumb as it sounds. Of course that could just as likely purely be a result of Australia's right-handers (both of them) just batting a lot better than the left handers but hey.

ftr I doubt being right-handed has anything to do with why Marsh was picked