• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd rather play:

Khawaja
Wade
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Paine
Patterson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

If we go for 5 bowlers. Though maybe Neser has a case over Hazlewood (certainly he's better than Marsh).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Oh hell no. Wade is so overrated by some on here. 6 or bust (much like his first innings dismissal).

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd rather play:

Khawaja
Wade
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Paine
Patterson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

If we go for 5 bowlers. Though maybe Neser has a case over Hazlewood (certainly he's better than Marsh).
Surely you got Paine and Patterson mixed up in the order? Or do you mean Pattinson?

Spark

Global Moderator
Because playing middle order batsman as makeshift openers has been such a spectacular success this series, sure.

I legit don't know what it is about MMarsh which makes people go completely insane with some of their "alternatives".

the big bambino

International Captain
Warner has failed, so has Harris and Bancroft's technical flaws are a target. There's no one else. The so called openers haven't been a spectacular success so Wade can put on his skates.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is this even being vaguely considered? What exactly have you lot seen from Wade this series to think he would be secure against the new ball?

morgieb

Why is this even being vaguely considered? What exactly have you lot seen from Wade this series to think he would be secure against the new ball?
Yeah it's a bizarre move. I guess he might not be worse than the current ones but that's because they're scoring <10 anyway. Him opening I cannot see working at all, even in Australia.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Warner has failed, so has Harris and Bancroft's technical flaws are a target. There's no one else. The so called openers haven't been a spectacular success so Wade can put on his skates.
Renshaw is currently playing for Kent and while he hasn’t exactly set Division 1 on fire, the current bar is an opening stand of 16.

How can he be worse than Warner this series. And remember this is only to play 5 bowlers because apparently we have to.
If you believe in the cricket equivalent of the Wins Above Replacement metric, playing five bowlers makes the most logic.

Last edited:

Burgey

Because playing middle order batsman as makeshift openers has been such a spectacular success this series, sure.

I legit don't know what it is about MMarsh which makes people go completely insane with some of their "alternatives".
My grandfather is a better alternative, and he died in 1995.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If Renshaw can start scoring again he should be given a run. He's shown he can play well at international level against Pakistan at home and then India away. He's timed his bad form really poorly over the last few years.

We still have Burns piling up the runs at shield level as well.

None of the other state openers are really anything to write home about unfortunately. Harris and Bancroft really are the best of them.
He's an elite first slipper also.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Might as well let him open the batting. He's gonna give us as much with the bat as our openers have all series and at least he provides a fifth bowling option.

aussie tragic

International Captain
My bad, Renshaw wasn't sacked. But he still played badly averaging 23 in 3 games and that was batting 3 and 5 instead of opener. After last shield season, not sure how anyone could still have him on the test radar. He needs a great 900-1000 run season for Qld before ever being thought of again.