• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2019-2020

the big bambino

International Captain
Since all our openers have been wash outs and I think Warner needs a break from Broad, I'm thinking of opening with Usman and Wade and batting Marsh at six.

Spark

Global Moderator
We basically just need openers. A proper top four/top five and pick whatever young, talented and promising batsman/allrounder you like at 6, the top four ought to be handling the toughest job before he gets in.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Question - from those who are big time Shield watchers, who strikes you as someone who can do a Labuschagne - not the greatest FC record, but young-ish, good head on his shoulders, strong technique, ability to improve, etc? Bonus points if they're an opener.

Because for the vacant 2-3 slots in the lineup IMO they should be targeting that. There's been a fair few misses but the traditional approach brought a lot of batsmen who scored runs at home but not when the going gets tough (glares at Warner/Usman), whereas Smith is an example of the Marnus approach.

TheJediBrah

Wade as an opener is something I can really see working actually. He hasn't blown us away but he definitely doesn't deserve to be left out. Deserves the spot more than Head by every metric except age.

TheJediBrah

Question - from those who are big time Shield watchers, who strikes you as someone who can do a Labuschagne - not the greatest FC record, but young-ish, good head on his shoulders, strong technique, ability to improve, etc? Bonus points if they're an opener.
KPat the obvious one, but other than that not many tbh. I always thought Alex Doolan looked ok, a bit of Martin Love about him but he didn't really smash the door down with runs.
Callum Ferguson of course but he had a shocker last season.
I'll probably get crucified on here for saying Handscomb. But also for the Vics I can see Finch and Maxwell being fine no. 5/6s, much more so than Head, but you get the feeling those 2 have been unfairly written off, for different reasons.

oh and Pucovski of course

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think Warner and Khawaja should be our openers for the Australian summer at least.

Spark

Global Moderator

Because for the vacant 2-3 slots in the lineup IMO they should be targeting that. There's been a fair few misses but the traditional approach brought a lot of batsmen who scored runs at home but not when the going gets tough (glares at Warner/Usman), whereas Smith is an example of the Marnus approach.
I think most people I've heard from think that Pucovski is the next big thing (and Patterson too). But obviously there are other question marks with regards to him.

Red

I think most people I've heard from think that Pucovski is the next big thing (and Patterson too). But obviously there are other question marks with regards to him.
For the home summer, I'd like to see:

Warner
Khawaja
Patterson
Smith
Labuschagne
Wade/Head

Patterson or Labu at 3 or 5, interchangeable depending on who wants what.

I don't really mind which one of Head or Wade plays because I think we'll get much the same from both of them. As soon as Pukovski is ready he should replace whichever of those two is at #6.

Red

The player I'd love to see force his way into the team is Renshaw. If he could play to his potential he'd solve a lot of problems.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Renshaw can start scoring again he should be given a run. He's shown he can play well at international level against Pakistan at home and then India away. He's timed his bad form really poorly over the last few years.

We still have Burns piling up the runs at shield level as well.

None of the other state openers are really anything to write home about unfortunately. Harris and Bancroft really are the best of them.

Gob

International Coach
Warner
Khawaja
Lab
TPC
Head
KP

To fave Pakistan and NZ. Its that simple really

morgieb

Yeah Puco's time will come, but given his concussion and mental health problem it's not now.

I'd pick Patterson as the 6 for Australian conditions unless Wade scores runs here, yeah. Head should probably be persisted with - England is probably the worst country for his technique and he's still had his moments.

Openers more of a problem. Burns I'm unconvinced about but I think he'll scores runs in Australia (and unlike Harris he's shown more inclination at Test level for big scores) and Khawaja's record as an opener is outstanding (and the two best innings he played for Australia came as an opener) so they might be options. But neither them nor Warner completely convince.

morgieb

KPat the obvious one, but other than that not many tbh. I always thought Alex Doolan looked ok, a bit of Martin Love about him but he didn't really smash the door down with runs.
Callum Ferguson of course but he had a shocker last season.
I'll probably get crucified on here for saying Handscomb. But also for the Vics I can see Finch and Maxwell being fine no. 5/6s, much more so than Head, but you get the feeling those 2 have been unfairly written off, for different reasons.

oh and Pucovski of course
Yeah Doolan's always been rated, but it's too late for him now. Same with Ferguson.

Handscomb? I distinctly remember saying "strong technique". Finch could do a good job at 6 I guess (though would he really be better than Wade?) but Maxwell just seems mentally weak to even bat lower order.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
I would only play Cummins iin the 5th if they pick a fourth quick, which in the context of the series and WTC is probably more called for than ever.

My T5 XI
Tontine
Bancroft (as inept as he was in the first 2 Tests, he puts a greater value on his wicket than Harris)
Labu
The Don (Mk II)
Warner
Big Time Timmy Jams
Starc
Patto
The other Patto
Haze/Sids
Lyon

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Jordan Silk IMO